Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 06:12 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

If you want to go the traditional route stick with a quality FIRM mattress and add a latex topper. Or memory foam if you're into that sort of thing and don't have a problem sleeping "hot".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 08:03 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,016,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
So if you buy one of the foam mattresses online (whatever variety of mattress in a box), how do you get rid of your old mattress? Who will come pick it up and dispose of it?

Likewise, if you buy online with a 100-day trial and decide you don't like it, how do you get it back in the box to ship it back?
My last mattress from our vacation home (came with it) some years ago got a Viking funeral! It was a blast to watch it go up in flames.

Amazing how much hardware was left after the fire.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:15 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
So if you buy one of the foam mattresses online (whatever variety of mattress in a box), how do you get rid of your old mattress? Who will come pick it up and dispose of it?

Likewise, if you buy online with a 100-day trial and decide you don't like it, how do you get it back in the box to ship it back?
We would just put our old mattress out on trash day.
You do not need to put it back in the box and ship it back. They come get it, or ask you to donate it. I think this is explained on the websites.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:36 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Just went looking for a new bed. You know the Princess and the Pea? I am her far more discerning elder sister.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:51 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
I just gave my king sized mattress/platform bed to one of my kids because I bought an adjustable queen bed. I had a pretty firm mattress on the king bed that was kind of uncomfortable, but added a foam topper that is created by NASA? I don't know exactly what it is/where to buy it. One of my kids bought it for our bed. But I have to say that was the most comfortable bed I have ever had in my life and I miss it.

I like the adjustable bed because I have GERD and it is just impossible to lie flat sometimes. But the adjustable mattress is not anywhere near as comfortable as my old bed with the NASA topper. My adjustable mattress is foam, but it's very, very firm - so firm that if I lie on my side, my shoulder hurts (I have a rotator cuff tear) because there is really no give in the mattress.

I will see if I can find out from my daughter where she got the NASA topper. Maybe I can get one for my adjustable bed.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:54 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
our new mattress was supposed to be delivered today but the storm killed that , now it will be saturday .

Old 01-04-2018, 05:16 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
My pain was probably from something different than arthritis, but I'll relay this info anyway just in case. I went through a long period of time where my left hip was in excruciating, searing pain which turned out to be ITB issues, iliotibial band, and maybe bursitis in the hip. The ITB runs from my hip to just past the outside of my knee, boy that hurt so bad, and kept me awake from the pain almost in tears, and made me limp too. It helped me to sleep with a pillow between my knees for some relief. But was a pain rolling over at night, lol. Not sure if that might help you, or not, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

I found exercises for my issue online which really helped. It doesn't bother me at all now unless I don't do them for awhile. There seems to be a difference of opinion on whether the hip pain is related to IBS, or not. All I know is that it goes away when I do those simple exercises, and comes back when I stop for awhile. The first two on the video are the two easy ones that helped me a lot. I would suggest goes slower, and more controlled than the video portrays. Maybe these will be of some use for somebody out there. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWGpbxbJ6_Y

------------------------------------

Thanks for posting this. Despite the alarming short-shorts, these exercises seem interesting. Are you supposed to perform them daily, or every other day, or less often?

Old 01-05-2018, 01:46 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
That's the brand we had for 14 years. When it finally gave out we bought an 'equivalent' replacement. It lasted all of a year and a half.
I had this wonderful gel based mattress, and it was big and heavy and a mess to move, but it was so wonderful. It stayed comfortable longer than other until I had to move it, and something got messed up inside. If you picked the right spot, it still felt great. But other areas had hard spots and we eventually gave it away free. The foam ones just don't feel the same.

When I moved I bought a new mattress, solid foam and firm. I usually didn't get firm, but it was on a big sale. After a week of sleeping on it, I knew why before I got back aches on the softer ones. It was designed as something for a guest, but it passes all my tests.

The most wonderful one I ever had was the water bed. Once you got it set up right it wasn't much work. And it was really comfortable. I used it up until the pump quit working right and the mattress started leaking out. As we had a couple of cats, we had it covered in a nice thick underpad.

Last edited by nightbird47; 01-05-2018 at 01:56 PM..

Old 01-05-2018, 08:10 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I just gave my king sized mattress/platform bed to one of my kids because I bought an adjustable queen bed. I had a pretty firm mattress on the king bed that was kind of uncomfortable, but added a foam topper that is created by NASA? I don't know exactly what it is/where to buy it. One of my kids bought it for our bed. But I have to say that was the most comfortable bed I have ever had in my life and I miss it.

I like the adjustable bed because I have GERD and it is just impossible to lie flat sometimes. But the adjustable mattress is not anywhere near as comfortable as my old bed with the NASA topper. My adjustable mattress is foam, but it's very, very firm - so firm that if I lie on my side, my shoulder hurts (I have a rotator cuff tear) because there is really no give in the mattress.

I will see if I can find out from my daughter where she got the NASA topper. Maybe I can get one for my adjustable bed.
The NASA topper is called Memory Foam.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:37 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,562 times
We went mattress shopping about a year ago and tried just about every option out there. I would suggest considering an adjustable base (or platform) as you test the mattresses. It made a big difference in our comfort no matter what mattress we were testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement