U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 10:17 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,352,704 times

Advertisements

I have an older Tempur Pedic, maybe 10 years old. At the time I bought it, the "regular" one was very soft and mushy, so I went with their firm model. It is really too firm. I sink in somewhat, but not much. If I sleep on my back, it helps reduce back aches, which is good, but I hate sleeping on my back. If I sleep on my side, I wake up with both hips hurting. I think maybe I am not heavy enough to sink into it enough to get the support others get.

Would like to hear from anyone who has similar issues. Or anyone with a newer Tempur Pedic regarding how hard/soft it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 10:23 AM

6,307 posts, read 4,752,208 times
Just a couple more comments on memory foam. Some people love the stuff or at least the newer versions. Classic memory foam does indeed "conform" to your body. Your body slowly sinks in partly due to the effect of body heat. Adjacent areas largely retain shape so the result is a pocket or hole. The longer you stay in one position, the deeper the hole. If you go to roll over or change positions the hole remains for quite a while. To me that is a horrible feeling. Standard foam allows the body to sink in but the foam reshapes almost instantly when you move. A soft relatively thin layer works best. Whether the top layer is memory foam or standard foam, it is important to have a relatively thin upper layer of about 2-3" and then a lower layer of much denser foam that provides better support. I think some of the original Temperpedics were all memory foam and the sinking hole feeling was really bad. Another issue is heat. The older memory foams were all closed cell and did not breathe. The mattress made you feel hot and sweaty in hot weather and clammy in cold weather. The deeper the hole, the worse the feeling.

That said, the original memory foam has been replaced in most memory foam mattresses. Those changes started about 2010-2012 with Simmons Beautyrest and a competing line from Serta. These were open cell foams. Now there are second and third generation memory foams and a variety of formulations. Of course mattresses also vary greatly in regards to firmness. Unfortunately firmness has become a marketing term and most "firm" mattresses are what I would call soft. Marketing as always has totally confused the decision making process. This drives some to buy top of the line at several times the price that would be reasonable.

Finally another issue is the mattress padding. Whether built into the mattress or added, most seem to be synthetic and make me feel like I am sleeping on a plastic bag. My favorite foam mattress only has a thin cover and I then added a thin cotton mattress pad.

Sorry I cannot give any specific recommendations. It has been too many years since I last shopped for a mattress.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:24 AM

10,819 posts, read 8,073,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Several months ago I bought a LUCID gel top 10" foam mattress from Amazon. I absolutely love it! Gel top keeps me from sweating to death and after the summer we had this year, that was a blessing. (SW Florida) I sleep like a baby.
Our foam mattress has a 3-inch gel top and I agree it helps with the heat effect.

Previously we had an innerspring mattress and used a 3" memory foam topper, which made the mattress very comfortable but it got pretty warm in the summer.
So I bought an Isocool mattress pad and that helped some. When we bought our new foam mattress with the gel top, I put the Isocool pad over it and it's much cooler than the old innerspring/foam arrangement. I attribute that to the gel top.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:30 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,621,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
The big, & only imo, downside to this is the smell when it first arrives - you would be well advised to open it in a garage type area, it really reeked in my apt for several days.
Just be careful what you lay it on to air out...I laid ours on top of a table in our den and it started dissolving the finish! No joke. I was so disappointed, as it was a good table before that...I had protected it with placemats for years and it was in good shape.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:32 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,621,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
I have a platform bed with slats and 4 inch resilient foam mattress. Yes..4 inch mattress.

Have it for going on 6 years now and have to say it beats a box spring/mattress combination for me.
Are you talking about one of those "bed in a box" things from Tuft & Needle, and the like? I've wondered if they are really as comfortable as all the hype says.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:46 AM

2,215 posts, read 744,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Are you talking about one of those "bed in a box" things from Tuft & Needle, and the like? I've wondered if they are really as comfortable as all the hype says.
Actually it's an Ikea platform bed with one of their resilient foam mattresses (firm).

I couldn't believe it myself when I saw it in the store. But sat on the bed, laid on the bed and could not feel the slats and I didn't "sink" like with other foam mattresses.

I turn the mattress once per year and after 6 years there's no bumps/dents or sunken holes.

With my old mattress/box spring I'd occasionally wake up with aches from "sleeping wrong" but in the 6 years I've had this setup that has not happened yet.

When cleaning I can move the entire bed with one hand (queen)

For me it was a good decision and I'm very happy with it.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:47 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,647 posts, read 40,010,157 times
Latex foam here . euro model with 4+ different durometers (softness / support)

Was >$400 at a Mattress close out shop. 10+ yrs and doing excellent.

Memory gets the best ratings, but it just didn't 'fit' (and too hot / hard to prop up / get out of / way too hard when cold (We often have a 50F bedroom temp (winter and summer))

Sleep number was our worst.

Many yrs on a FIRM water bed. (more like a balloon). I filled it so if standing on one foot in the middle, I would not touch bottom. I filled to ~ 2x the height of the sides.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:56 AM

7,328 posts, read 4,172,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Latex foam here . euro model with 4+ different durometers (softness / support).
I use a 3” thick latex foam topper on my firm Sterns and Foster innerspring mattress, and I love it. Unlike memory foam, latex doesn’t sleep hot.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:11 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,749,659 times
Pillow tops are horrible. No support. So I looked on Youtube and found how to cut it out so I could add a very firm topper, which I got on Amazon. Worked out really well. Pillow top... never again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppn-U-pI2mw

Old 12-30-2017, 11:28 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,928,749 times
I'd like a mattress with no memory foam or pillowtop...(can't bear to be hot)

Just a firm mattress...what are the current options...? Thread posters seem to favor foam.

Is Stearns and Foster still a good brand or are less expensive ones just as good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or