U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 12:29 PM

21,551 posts, read 44,124,869 times

Advertisements

This might be worth a read:

What mattress best for our old bones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 12:31 PM

11,954 posts, read 20,434,323 times
We have a generic sleep number, it was half the cost. Lifesaver for husband. He has degenerative disc disease in his back and sometimes he needs a firm mattress and sometimes he needs a softer mattress. We bought the Phoenix here. About 15 years ago. My dedicated use of hotel quality thicker mattress pads means the top look new.

The Phoenix Airbed Mattress by Vinyl Products Manufacturing

Old 12-30-2017, 12:38 PM

2,929 posts, read 1,600,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i found a padded headboard can help with headaches too
You obviously lead a more exciting life than me!

Old 12-30-2017, 01:01 PM

23,920 posts, read 8,354,832 times
Absolutely best buy was Sleep Number, no bells and whistles to the bed and got a double as it's just me and I don't expect company...so for me I sleep great but I think stiff back would be there on any mattress. Lying in one position for hours...

No foods or drinks in my bed.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:35 PM

14,276 posts, read 24,042,546 times
We have a Tempur-Pedic mattress. My wife loves it. I abhor it to put it mildly.

I am an "edge sleeper" and I like a good firm spring mattress with a strong edge. I also like to sleep with a mattress pad heater in the winter months as we keep the place cold at night.

The new mattress is one that you are not supposed to use an electric mattress pad heater and I find that I am usually cold, especially my feet. I nearly fall out of bed in the mornings as there is not a good edge on the bed so that I can anchor myself out of it.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
We have a Tempur-Pedic mattress. My wife loves it. I abhor it to put it mildly.

I am an "edge sleeper" and I like a good firm spring mattress with a strong edge. I also like to sleep with a mattress pad heater in the winter months as we keep the place cold at night.

The new mattress is one that you are not supposed to use an electric mattress pad heater and I find that I am usually cold, especially my feet. I nearly fall out of bed in the mornings as there is not a good edge on the bed so that I can anchor myself out of it.
Interesting and I looked at these when I got sleep number, and the heating pad issue would be been horrible reading your comments. I use both cold and hot pads on my bed.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:37 PM

2,646 posts, read 979,561 times
I bought a twin size of one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J1SNHOS...ing=UTF8&psc=1

They are supposed to be very firm. I read all the reviews, and most are happy with them. I can't handle the soft, mushy mattresses. Must have a firm one. I'll just use that on the floor with a mattress pad, and sheet, or comforter on top. I'm used to sleeping on the floor so it will be fine. I'm leaving it shrink wrapped till I get my senior apartment since it takes up less room to transport that way. My waiting list for that apartment hasn't moved any . I'm still #6. That's better than #60, lol. Some day. But maybe you could use one of them on the bottom with a softer one on top. It shipped quickly.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:07 PM

3,519 posts, read 1,559,553 times
I slept on just a 8"-thick piece of latex foam I had cut out for car camping, for 10 years. It was so comfortable. No issues at all.

The mattresses here are very firm, so we brought a Tempur-Pedic topper from Bed, Bath, Beyond down here. Very comfortable, and I do have arthritic-everything. Hips, knees....a small firm pillow between the knees is a real life-saver too.

I do drink wine in bed, and sometimes eat lunch too, since the bedroom is the coolest place in the house. We sleep on two mattresses and it's kind of fun being up that high....

Old 12-30-2017, 03:17 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,862,845 times
My 84 year old mother-in-law sleeps on a heated clay pad with a 3 inch memory foam pad. She loves it. I might try it out sometime. I am kind of interested in it. I have slept on the floor a number of times when I was young and in Korea.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:25 PM

One of the best night's sleep about 30+ yrs ago when I was still in sales and on the road was when I checked into a hotel in B.C. and all they had was a waterbed...omg I thought, what if I can't sleep. Well it was the best night's sleep my poor achy back could have. Could not believe how great I felt the next morning.

After that I owned a couple waterbeds and then my last bed was a sleep number, air mattress, as it's closest to water. I sleep good, but back issues are about 60 yrs with arthritis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or