Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 09:03 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times

Advertisements

Just last Tuesday, December 26, I signed up for social security telling them I wanted to start in January. I thought I would receive my first check the fourth Wednesday of January.

I got a bank online app I use to check my balances and checking to see my wife's pension to came in, it did, imagine my surprise to discover my balance was nearly $3,000 more than I expected to see! Happy New Year indeed!

I wanted to wait to age 70 but caved in early.... I needed to get rid of the stress of wondering if I was making the right decision or not and caving in, taking it at 69, is not like I took it before my FRA.

No right or wrong answer for when to take it but just the way I have felt since Tuesday it was the right thing for me to do.

But I asked to start in January and I get the deposit yesterday or at midnight last night to be exact.

Furthermore, the check amount appears to be a little higher than I estimated and I am wondering if they didn't take out for Medicare Part B since I paid for three months last December.... my Part B is paid up until March 1.

At the social security office I asked about that and they said they would return the money I paid but it would be a separate deposit. I am thinking my check was a little more because they didn't take out the Part B. Sound reasonable?

The good thing is that there's an extra $3,000 a month going against the mortgage I still have and with that much extra every month that turkey around my neck will go away fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 09:05 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
And we all got a 2% increase too. Whoopee doo!

Old 12-30-2017, 09:07 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Just last Tuesday, December 26, I signed up for social security telling them I wanted to start in January. I thought I would receive my first check the fourth Wednesday of January.

I got a bank online app I use to check my balances and checking to see my wife's pension to came in, it did, imagine my surprise to discover my balance was nearly $3,000 more than I expected to see! Happy New Year indeed!

I wanted to wait to age 70 but caved in early.... I needed to get rid of the stress of wondering if I was making the right decision or not and caving in, taking it at 69, is not like I took it before my FRA.

No right or wrong answer for when to take it but just the way I have felt since Tuesday it was the right thing for me to do.

But I asked to start in January and I get the deposit yesterday or at midnight last night to be exact.

Furthermore, the check amount appears to be a little higher than I estimated and I am wondering if they didn't take out for Medicare Part B since I paid for three months last December.... my Part B is paid up until March 1.

At the social security office I asked about that and they said they would return the money I paid but it would be a separate deposit. I am thinking my check was a little more because they didn't take out the Part B. Sound reasonable?

The good thing is that there's an extra $3,000 a month going against the mortgage I still have and with that much extra every month that turkey around my neck will go away fast.
Congrats, I bailed and took at post 69 instead of 70. My fear was a gov't shutdown which wouldn't hold up checks but would the application process. Did you take spousal on your wife prior to filing for your own? I was told that speeds up the process to a couple of weeks. Again congrats sounds sweet and celebrate on.

The other thing is your benefit is larger than most so your 2% increase will be more than most. If you have pensions (think you do) your spouses SS and add them all up. If you get 2% on all of them this year. Bada Boom! Especially if you get 2% in subsequent years that compounding will really lift your spirts,

Old 12-30-2017, 09:36 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Congrats, I bailed and took at post 69 instead of 70. My fear was a gov't shutdown which wouldn't hold up checks but would the application process. Did you take spousal on your wife prior to filing for your own? I was told that speeds up the process to a couple of weeks. Again congrats sounds sweet and celebrate on.

The other thing is your benefit is larger than most so your 2% increase will be more than most. If you have pensions (think you do) your spouses SS and add them all up. If you get 2% on all of them this year. Bada Boom! Especially if you get 2% in subsequent years that compounding will really lift your spirts,
My wife applied for spousal benefits at her FRA a year ago last April when I filed and suspended mine. We beat that deadline by six days.... yep, we were about the very end of the file and suspenders group!

Yes, we have other pensions and even if I didn't pay off the mortgage and stopped working we would still be very comfortable. Not rich but content with what we have and life is wonderful.

My wife just loves being a grandma and being around the grandkids. If I did pay off the mortgage we would have an extra $750 a month and I already know where the money would go.

Actually what I would like to do with that extra money is save it to rent a condo for two weeks in the Florida Keys where we could have the kids and grandkids visit. As cold as it is here right now I could really go for that.

Oh, and we are snow bound today. I do not drive in snow. Did it for decades and I hate it.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:21 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
How is that possible??? You just signed up last Tues Dec 26 and today, 4 days later you got a SS payment. I never heard of such a thing. Are you certain it was from SS? Maybe you won the lottery??

Old 12-30-2017, 10:30 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
How is that possible??? You just signed up last Tues Dec 26 and today, 4 days later you got a SS payment. I never heard of such a thing. Are you certain it was from SS? Maybe you won the lottery??
OP had previously filed and suspended, which meant all he had to do was un-suspend. So it should be much quicker but like you I'm surprised it was that quick.
I'm in exactly the same situation and will be un-suspending my benefits within the next few weeks.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:16 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

Congrats!

Old 12-30-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
OP had previously filed and suspended, which meant all he had to do was un-suspend. So it should be much quicker but like you I'm surprised it was that quick.
I'm in exactly the same situation and will be un-suspending my benefits within the next few weeks.
I filed for mine over the phone and they said it would take no time because I was receiving spousal on Medicare etc. I had a complete history. Mine took a couple of weeks because I had to wait for my Wednesday to arrive. They have this part of the process down to a science as the paper work already is in place and a lot of folks were doing it. Of course that number will go down as the new rules are fully phased in and everyone has reached 70.
It was a great Bada Bing while it lasted

Old 12-30-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
He was probably due a check that day as part of spousal benefit which he dropped. If so a check was coming anyway. The question was the amount. They may have had extra people scheduled in case of a shut down.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Be advised the current budget extension ends in a couple of weeks and while a shutdown won't interfere with folks getting checks it should from all I have read and had confirmed by others would impact applications. That is why I filed earlier instead of waiting to 70.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement