U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 04:48 AM

606 posts, read 273,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I think the article is right in that at 62 I don't feel old, and don't feel being referred to as old is a trustworthy description of who I am. I follow this blogger and anti-ageism advocate.
https://thischairrocks.com/?q=blog

I am an older, which means I am older than someone younger
The retired USAF pastor who officiated at my wedding many years ago used to like to say that middle age was halfway between your current age and 100.

At 62, you won't even be middle aged until you hit 81. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 05:49 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,181,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I think the article is right in that at 62 I don't feel old, and don't feel being referred to as old is a trustworthy description of who I am. I follow this blogger and anti ageism advocate.
https://thischairrocks.com/?q=blog

I am an older, which means I am older than someone younger

You are right, I am 72, almost 73, and I do not feel old. But, boy, all of those people I graduated with sure did get old !

Old 01-03-2018, 08:50 AM

610 posts, read 367,336 times
Mr, sir, sweetie, honey ...
It doesn't matter what they call me because I'm still not going to give them any money.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:21 AM

8,232 posts, read 2,435,012 times
Quote:
In search of a word that won't offend old people

I don't get it. How about using someone's name when you address him?

Old 01-03-2018, 11:01 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,096,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
How about just a respectful....lady, gentleman. Why is an age reference always necessary?
I'm with you on this one. I guess they could still call us Baby Boomers, although calling a 61 year old man or woman a "baby" of any kind is slightly ridiculous. Funny how "middle-aged" has slid up the last 50 years. It used to be 40-50. Nowadays, it's getting up to the 60's. Have to admit, though, I do enjoy getting carded for senior discounts, which is funny, because it irritates the hell out of me to be carded for alcohol!

Old 01-03-2018, 11:07 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,431,231 times
Retired, senior, old, elderly…all are fine with me. I just don’t care for “cute” names which are used as alternatives.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:23 PM

6,594 posts, read 1,357,711 times
This is a very interesting discussion because I am a senior who works with a 20-something woman who insists on calling me "Miss Sharon" -- (not my real name, btw) -- and I very much dislike it -- maybe because I am older and married and/or maybe it is because the only other person who did this was an older black woman who I supervised a LONG time ago. When she called me "Miss Sharon", it just brought to mind how the slaves addressed "Miss Scarlett" in Gone With the Wind -- it just made me uncomfortable, like she was being too subservient to me. Anyway, I am as certain as I can be that both the 20-something and the other woman addressing me as "Miss Sharon" is/was just a sign of respect, but I just have never liked being addressed that way. (However, I do realize that different people are brought up with different ideas as to what is polite, so in both cases, I just kept my mouth shut, while inwardly grimacing.)

I just think that either everyone should be on a first-name basis (only) with everyone, or that everyone should be on a formal Mr. or Ms. basis with everyone. -- UNLESS we are talking about kids talking to adults, which I think is a different subject.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:59 PM

1,520 posts, read 975,653 times
"Young". No reason to be politically correct.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:17 PM

210 posts, read 150,975 times
"Old *****" would be accurate for the oldster I am becoming.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:47 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,764,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post

I don't get it. How about using someone's name when you address him?
If you're in a business establishment, how is someone going to know your name? Osmosis? And I know a whole lot of people (me included) absolutely hate it when strange cashiers and clerks who get names off those silly cards call them by their first names like they're old friends.

But you're right, calling someone Mr. So-and-so or Mrs. Smith works well.

Until you call someone a Mrs. and she's a Miss or worse, a Ms. Then you're in big trouble again. I've seen it happen.

(And don't flame me for this post - I happen to be a feminist who couldn't care less if I'm called Miss or Ms.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or