Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2018, 12:16 AM

1,040 posts, read 868,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well I think the geriatrician was being kind of condescending but Kuhn was also being kind of rude.

That having been said, I am not crazy about the term “perennial” as a title for old people mostly because I think it sounds weird. I despise the term “baby boomer.” Anything else is okay by me.

Thing is, something is always going to offend or annoy someone. There is no one term that is going to make everyone happy. Actually I don’t see what’s wrong with the words “old people.” We’re old and we’re people. No one seems to mind being called “young people” when they are young so why is it so terrible for people who are old to be called “old people” when they become old?

Isn’t that like saying there is something wrong with becoming old?
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS! I love this! I would give this a thousand reps if I could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 12:24 AM

1,040 posts, read 868,776 times
I personally prefer to be referred to as my you tube channel name, the Antique Autistic. I think even if i were not Autistic I would not mind being referred to as an antique.There are so many incredible things to be learned when getting to know more about different antiques.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:55 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,589,303 times
I'm "vintage."

I'm also not easily offended. But I'll tell you something that I DON'T like and that's when other adults (say past about college age, and even that's pushing it) call me "Miss Kathryn." Why are you calling me that? Our next door neighbor, who is about 10 years younger than me, calls me that all the time. I think I'm going to have to say something to him about it. THAT makes me feel older than necessary.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:09 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,463,987 times
Nothing makes me madder than to have someone raise their voices in "baby talk" to me.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:20 AM

11,046 posts, read 9,686,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'm good with senior, baby boomer, old fart, and older than dirt.
But elderly is a no-go. Sweetie and hon were never-go.
I laugh every time I read in the news about an "elderly man" who was rescued (or whatever) and the guys only in his early to mid 60's. To me elderly is past mid-70's.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:26 AM

45,114 posts, read 60,226,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm "vintage."

I'm also not easily offended. But I'll tell you something that I DON'T like and that's when other adults (say past about college age, and even that's pushing it) call me "Miss Kathryn." Why are you calling me that? Our next door neighbor, who is about 10 years younger than me, calls me that all the time. I think I'm going to have to say something to him about it. THAT makes me feel older than necessary.
You're in the South, well Texas (right?), so using the honorific Miss is kind of culturally ingrained. That's what Miss Kay, wife of Phil Robertson, said.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:28 AM

11,046 posts, read 9,686,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm "vintage."

In the south, children are taught to refer to all adults as either Mr. or Miss _____________. Last name for people they've just met, or first name for someone they know more closely. It's considered improper (rude, extremely out of line, disrespectful, might get your ears slapped back type of improper) for a younger person to refer to call an adult older than them (especially anyone about 20+ years older) by their first name alone. It's drummed into their heads since they first learn to speak, so it's a hard habit to break. I find it a quaint holdover from a more genteel time. I have an aunt who will actually correct any of us "kids" (kids ranging in age from 45 to 69) if we dare to call her Diane, instead of Aunt Diane.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:34 AM

9,355 posts, read 14,014,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You're in the South, well Texas (right?), so using the honorific Miss is kind of culturally ingrained...
Agreed. School kids call their teachers Miss XXX. So when people want to address someone who they feel can teach them something they often use Miss. Think of it that way. You ARE being honored.

We even use Miss/Mister before the names of kids sometimes, to emphasize to them that they are capable of being smart or smarter. Such as, "Miss Kathryn, you do know that the salad fork goes on the far left, correct?"

Old 01-01-2018, 07:57 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,398,089 times
"Seasoned Citizen" shouldn't offend too many but "Old Fart " is a lot more fun. Being in my 70s it just fits!

Old 01-01-2018, 08:00 AM

7,154 posts, read 9,258,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
"Seasoned Citizen" shouldn't offend too many but "Old Fart " is a lot more fun. Being in my 70s it just fits!
Hey, I call my 14 year old dog "old fart".

She fits that to a tee. Smells a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement