U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 08:43 PM

3,697 posts, read 1,877,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
After only 12 Mondays, the novelty is wearing off for you??

I've been retired 8 years and I'm still thrilled and overjoyed by not needing to get up in the morning for work every day, being able to turn over and go back to sleep, no Sunday evening letdown about free time being over, no work requirements, no Monday morning commutes, no commutes whatsoever on any morning, no daily work obligation, my time is my own, no slave to the clock and slave to regiment!

thrilled and overjoyed, not kidding.
I am with you on this, just two weeks in. The first time I went downtown to have a coffee and have no office to HAVE to go back to, take my time, enjoy my leisure.

With the ice storm here in DFW, not having to worry about going to work on Tuesday in icy weather is wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 10:15 PM

17,628 posts, read 11,202,057 times
For me, it was fun for the first year and a half, then I got bored, so I went back to work. After 5 years, I tried it again and made it to 3 years, but got bored again, now I work 40 per and enjoy every day.

For a while, it is fun, playing with your toys, sleeping in, not knowing what day it is, and not shaving every day. But, for me at least, I found myself slipping mentally and physically........lost some of my sharpness and was sleeping later and later every day.

But, if it works for you, great. I may retire again in another 4-5 years and see how I like it at that time, but I am thinking I will miss my current routine.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:46 PM

1,662 posts, read 1,529,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
After only 12 Mondays, the novelty is wearing off for you??

I've been retired 8 years and I'm still thrilled and overjoyed by not needing to get up in the morning for work every day, being able to turn over and go back to sleep, no Sunday evening letdown about free time being over, no work requirements, no Monday morning commutes, no commutes whatsoever on any morning, no daily work obligation, my time is my own, no slave to the clock and slave to regiment!

thrilled and overjoyed, not kidding.
Good for you!

I'm enjoying my retirement but that giddy with happiness feeling is not as common as at first. I don't have that "high" as often as I did the first two months. But I still occasionally think to myself that I'm now retired and get a big grin on my face.

My job was not as bad as it was for some of you and it was my career. And in general I don't tend to get passionate about things - I'm more even-tempered.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,650 posts, read 40,020,325 times
Early retired for 12.5yrs, still waiting for age 65... (and HC)

plenty of fun and adventures everyday.

Love the freedom to CHOOSE my tasks (most are volunteer)

I sure wish I would get to my 'to-do' list (lots 'undone' for last 12 yrs). Having too much 'fun' / freedom.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:49 AM

4,447 posts, read 2,623,195 times
I was early medically retired at age 40.

While everything you said is true, FREE866, I found after 14 years thst SSDI doesn't pay the bills like it did. So I've gone back to work.

While retired no grass grew under my feet. I never was NOT busy. Volunteering is great. Install ing a new raised bed garden was great. Actually keeping the house clean was great. I DID find I needed a "schedule". Vacuuming Wednesday and Saturday, laundry on Sunday afternoons, volunteering at the hospital, following planting time and more kept me busy and with s schedule thst got things done. I enjoyed, if the weather was bad, staying in, not having to go out.

But I really had to go back to work, for financial and boredom reasons. I became bored with my schedule and thibgs like once the garden was planted, only wateringvit wasn't enough. I wanted to be paid if I was working ( volunteering ). I went through a couple of "hobbies", which became boring eventually.

Now the house doesn't get vacuumed that regularly. And alarm clock makes sure I'm up for either day shift or after a nap before second shift. But I actually like it. I have "purpose again".

I DO HOPE you continue to enjoy it, that you are financially secure enough to not have to be forced to go back to work.

Congrats!

Old 01-01-2018, 05:02 AM

120 posts, read 59,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
After 3 months of retirement, the novelty of not having to be at work on Monday morning is starting to lessen. But then I got stuck by icy weather while visiting out of state relatives for the holidays and had to lengthen my trip a few days. Being able to do this and not worry about getting back home on a schedule has delighted me.
I remember the first weekend trip I took after retiring (2015/age 46). During the mid-afternoon on Sunday, I found myself thinking that I'd better start heading back home, and then caught myself. I extended the trip until Wednesday, just on principle.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:33 AM

1,258 posts, read 603,661 times
So for you early retirees, how did you achieve it? Investments, sale of proprietorship, trademarks or patents sold?

Old 01-01-2018, 07:24 AM

10,478 posts, read 5,941,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
So for you early retirees, how did you achieve it? Investments, sale of proprietorship, trademarks or patents sold?
I invented the question mark.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:37 AM

1,078 posts, read 521,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Thats great BucFan. 47 wow! Odd about stopping golfing. Maybe golfing was just an escape from the office?

Sometimes I feel I should train for like a triathlon or something, but then I can picture blowing out a knee or something lol
I had a similar experience with the golf. When I was working, I lived for the weekend when I could tee it up. 13 years in, I hardly ever play. Iíd much rather do my volunteer activities....more gratifying.

I too got the strange looks at 42 when I retired. Now at 55, not really. I donít miss anything about working and havenít since the day I retired. Recently, I had to do a 30 mile drive in rush hour traffic. Holy smokes, has it gotten worse! Thereís no way Iíd be able to tolerate that crap five days a week.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:49 AM

5,802 posts, read 4,851,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
1) worked for public entities (pensions) for 25+ (me) and 35+ (him) years.
2) stayed out of debt other than mortgage
3) kept an already owned property, and rented it out
4) invested whatever money exceeded our expenses every month, after establishing an emergency fund
5) invested new income when raises, or bonuses, were given
6) drive cars for 15 years by taking proper care of them
7) moved to a much lower COL area, low tax burden state, at retirement
8) never buying into the "keeping up with the Jones's" thing. Jones is still working, while Smiths are happily retired

Number 3 was actually pretty important over time, even though the net monthly cash flow seemed relatively small ($500-700 month)l. It covered some of our living expenses allowing us to invest more, more investment=more nest egg at retirement. Our average net income from that was 600/month x 12 months x 17 years = $122,400, plus the property has tripled in value over that time. I recommend doing something like this if you can. If we had sold the property 17 years ago, the amount we would have gotten from it would've probably been spent on a car, a vacation, and some portion invested, but this turned out much better in the long run.

After 4 years of ER, we are loving our new lifestyle. After we retired, we said we couldn't imagine how we ever had time to work. It was always go, go, go, everything we needed to do had to be crammed into the two days off, or the 4 hour window between getting home (5:00) and going to bed (9:00), so we could get up at 5 am and start over. NO, NEVER, EVER AGAIN would I do that.

Last edited by TheShadow; 01-01-2018 at 08:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement