U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2018, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,800 posts, read 4,856,396 times
Reputation: 6379

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I invented the question mark.

ROTFLMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
So for you early retirees, how did you achieve it? Investments, sale of proprietorship, trademarks or patents sold?

I worked on getting two pensions simultaneously. Mission accomplished. Paid off mortgage, made money in 401k all of it made retirement at 58.5 possible. Wife just retired at 59.5. I have been retired almost 2 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2018, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,857 posts, read 4,974,759 times
Reputation: 17353
OP: As you have discovered, the key to an interesting retirement is to have things to do on your own terms. The nicest part is finally having control of your time.

Also, when you volunteer, they have to be nice to you or you won't come back.

As for me, I discovered that I like working part time for my previous employer. A 20 hour a week gig is easy. It's zero stress and they pay me well. Also, I can quit at any time.

I've found that I like it because it keeps me sharp. It's not work, it's play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2018, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 26,249,983 times
Reputation: 14611
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
So for you early retirees, how did you achieve it? Investments, sale of proprietorship, trademarks or patents sold?
College degree in a profession that was in demand and was scoffed at by my male counterparts. Didn't opt for a pipe dream occupation, but a practical one that pays. Then I joined the ranks as an Army Officer as a nurse, being deployed to the Balkans, Central America Afganistan. And yes, as an Army Nurse I did dodge a bullet or two. I followed a career path in the military, doing my best to do the right thing, please my bosses while caring for my underlings. Got a advance degree, worked long hours, got to 23 yrs then retired with a pension and health care for life.

I invested in index stock mutual funds along the way - putting away as much as I could every payday for over two decades.


Tough hours, long days, lots of thankless days, months, years. Now reaping the rewards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2018, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Mexico City (at the moment)
1,345 posts, read 472,746 times
Reputation: 1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
January 6th, 2017 was my last day working so as I approach my one year anniversary I wanted to express gratitude for being able to share about it on this board. I guess I'll just state what I view as the pros and cons my first year of early retirement.

Pros....................






Cons......................
Good input! I wonder on this topic some, as my plan for "early" retirement will be at 60. Truly wonder if I'll get bored, but certianly tired of the household moves every couple of years my career requires. What age did you retire?

One question though about what you fill your days with the last year:

"-Having the time to volunteer on numerous projects to benefit animals such as vegan education, anti animal circus campaigns, anti pet store protests and anti fur protests"

I realize it is something that likely floats your boat, but how long will that be a viable time filler?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2018, 09:03 AM
 
1,041 posts, read 486,736 times
Reputation: 1435
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Good input! I wonder on this topic some, as my plan for "early" retirement will be at 60. Truly wonder if I'll get bored, but certianly tired of the household moves every couple of years my career requires. What age did you retire?

One question though about what you fill your days with the last year:

"-Having the time to volunteer on numerous projects to benefit animals such as vegan education, anti animal circus campaigns, anti pet store protests and anti fur protests"

I realize it is something that likely floats your boat, but how long will that be a viable time filler?
Hi Snebarekim. I turned 51 in August.

Events like anti fur , animal circus and pet store protests are fairly infrequent , but not part of my typical weekly routine. I included those as an example of when things like that pop up I'm available and not restricted by work!
Vegan education events are an ongoing project and I love those. Between that and the NY Cares projects of tutoring, teaching chess, and working with seniors I feel pretty fulfilled.

Forgot to add I took a Philosophy class too..was really interesting..another example of something I always wanted to do, but didn't have the time....NYC offers many opportunities like that!

Oh..and I also did a weekend silent retreat up n Massachusetts! Again, something I always wanted to do and will probably go again .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2018, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Mexico City (at the moment)
1,345 posts, read 472,746 times
Reputation: 1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Hi Snebarekim. I turned 51 in August.

Events like anti fur , animal circus and pet store protests are fairly infrequent , but not part of my typical weekly routine. I included those as an example of when things like that pop up I'm available and not restricted by work!
Vegan education events are an ongoing project and I love those. Between that and the NY Cares projects of tutoring, teaching chess, and working with seniors I feel pretty fulfilled.

Forgot to add I took a Philosophy class too..was really interesting..another example of something I always wanted to do, but didn't have the time....NYC offers many opportunities like that!

Oh..and I also did a weekend silent retreat up n Massachusetts! Again, something I always wanted to do and will probably go again .
51, that is a bit early. I'm 56, and need 60 to make the money work out for pension and 401K, but I really dont want to make one more overseas move after that (I'm a foreign service officer), that is what is driving my desire for an at 60 retirement. It happens to line up with my assignment cycle also.

I like to read about how others fill their time for sure, sounds like you are making the most of it. What is a silent retreat? Never heard of it.

I am concerned about boredom to some degree, but more so about keeping the "knife sharp". I work in engineering support services now, and solve problems everyday.

A good point about classes! Where I plan to land in Arizona has a community college with reasonable tuition, and I have considered full courses (not just a lone class) in subjects I am interested in. I have always wanted to build and own a microlight aircraft after getting into that sport in South Africa, and they have a club there at the local airport. The college offers an introductory to flight and operations course, so that would work out to getting my sports flyer license. They also offer a gunsmithing course (I used to shoot competitively, would like to get back into it. BTW, I dont hunt anymore), and some technical/engineering courses for advanced circuitry design and calibration related to modern consumer technology.

All things I would like. So maybe I'll just be a student for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2018, 10:37 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,658 posts, read 40,039,994 times
Reputation: 23811
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
51, that is a bit early. I'm 56, and need 60 to make the money work out for pension and 401K, ... I work in engineering support services now, and solve problems everyday.

A good point about classes! Where I plan to land in Arizona has a community college with reasonable tuition, and I have considered full courses (not just a lone class) in subjects I am interested in. I have always wanted to build and own a microlight aircraft after getting into that sport in South Africa, and they have a club there at the local airport. The college offers an introductory to flight and operations course, so that would work out to getting my sports flyer license. They also offer a gunsmithing course (I used to shoot competitively, would like to get back into it. BTW, I dont hunt anymore), and some technical/engineering courses for advanced circuitry design and calibration related to modern consumer technology.

All things I would like. So maybe I'll just be a student for a while.
(lifelong engineer / inventor) I went back for a masters when I retired at age 49.

I will be going back more AFTER I can get senior tuition benefits!

I have had no trouble applying my engineering / invention skills in retirement (farmer). I still have a few products I would like to release, but at the moment, traveling <50% of the time while physically able.

When I am stuck at home, I will dust off the machine and woodshop and finish some more inventions.

Many of my peers took PT gigs back with the same company. One engineer took (5) golden parachutes (successfully landed each time). One group of 5 did a 'job share' working 3 months on and 4 months off (rotating hunting / fishing seasons. )

There is plenty of fun 'work' / mentoring, as modern graduates know very little about actually getting their mechanical products to function. It's Like they grew up on a TV / computer monitor rather than in the workshop rebuilding cars and engines and welding stuff up for the farm. They are OK to instruct, but they are very 'green' when it comes to mechanical things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2018, 11:05 AM
 
1,041 posts, read 486,736 times
Reputation: 1435
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
51, that is a bit early. I'm 56, and need 60 to make the money work out for pension and 401K, but I really dont want to make one more overseas move after that (I'm a foreign service officer), that is what is driving my desire for an at 60 retirement. It happens to line up with my assignment cycle also.

I like to read about how others fill their time for sure, sounds like you are making the most of it. What is a silent retreat? Never heard of it.

I am concerned about boredom to some degree, but more so about keeping the "knife sharp". I work in engineering support services now, and solve problems everyday.

A good point about classes! Where I plan to land in Arizona has a community college with reasonable tuition, and I have considered full courses (not just a lone class) in subjects I am interested in. I have always wanted to build and own a microlight aircraft after getting into that sport in South Africa, and they have a club there at the local airport. The college offers an introductory to flight and operations course, so that would work out to getting my sports flyer license. They also offer a gunsmithing course (I used to shoot competitively, would like to get back into it. BTW, I dont hunt anymore), and some technical/engineering courses for advanced circuitry design and calibration related to modern consumer technology.

All things I would like. So maybe I'll just be a student for a while.
The silent retreat I went to was up in Barre, MA

https://www.dharma.org

Yeah, I hear people say they would get bored, but that just isn't my experience so far. I think living in New York City greatly helps with that though.

Who knows what the future will bring. As I mentioned, one of the projects I do with NY Cares is tutoring people for their GED. I really enjoy it so maybe one day I will do something like that on the side for money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2018, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Mexico City (at the moment)
1,345 posts, read 472,746 times
Reputation: 1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
(lifelong engineer / inventor) I went back for a masters when I retired at age 49.

I will be going back more AFTER I can get senior tuition benefits!

I have had no trouble applying my engineering / invention skills in retirement (farmer). I still have a few products I would like to release, but at the moment, traveling <50% of the time while physically able.

When I am stuck at home, I will dust off the machine and woodshop and finish some more inventions.
Seems like all good ways to keep the mental knife sharp!
I have an acquaintance that invented a specific application type of hydraulic line that does not weaken or wear due to pressure flexing. He became financially independent due to this at 42 or so. Now he only makes legal moonshine and drinks his days away. I cant see it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
There is plenty of fun 'work' / mentoring, as modern graduates know very little about actually getting their mechanical products to function. It's Like they grew up on a TV / computer monitor rather than in the workshop rebuilding cars and engines and welding stuff up for the farm. They are OK to instruct, but they are very 'green' when it comes to mechanical things.

Mentoring/teaching involves learning how to make the students lights come on. I taught HVAC/R design and repair, as well as air flow/treatment classes related to HVAC in the military for 2 years. I'm not interested in structured teaching any more, but I did enjoy helping students turn the book learning into successful hands on application. The eyes would glaze at a psychrometric chart and calculating grains of moisture in the air, but once they saw how it actually works, you would see the sparks fly. They often showed interest in computer based direct digital control design for HVAC, but less interest in hands on diagnostics it seemed.

I may want to also look into the home improvement stores, they often hire older tradesmen to help people design their own projects. I may like that.

I have designed and installed home security systems in recent years, so I may find a part time niche in that.

I also have interest in solar voltaic and solar thermal projects, so maybe something along that line also.

But I think student again for a bit may be a good fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2018, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Mexico City (at the moment)
1,345 posts, read 472,746 times
Reputation: 1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
The silent retreat I went to was up in Barre, MA

https://www.dharma.org

Yeah, I hear people say they would get bored, but that just isn't my experience so far. I think living in New York City greatly helps with that though.

Who knows what the future will bring. As I mentioned, one of the projects I do with NY Cares is tutoring people for their GED. I really enjoy it so maybe one day I will do something like that on the side for money.
The retreat, was it a one day thing? I dont think I would find it appealing either, to be honest.

The tutoring thing seems like a good idea though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top