U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 08:41 AM

1,040 posts, read 484,570 times

Advertisements

January 6th, 2017 was my last day working so as I approach my one year anniversary I wanted to express gratitude for being able to share about it on this board. I guess I'll just state what I view as the pros and cons my first year of early retirement.

Pros
- It's an indescribable feeling of relief and freedom not having to be someplace every single morning. Especially Mondays!!
-The ability to do over 100 hours of volunteering with NY Cares doing projects such as helping the elderly with creative writing, teaching chess in Queens, as well as tutoring young adults to prepare for their GED.
-Ample time to exercise 3-4x per week consistently
-Having the time to volunteer on numerous projects to benefit animals such as vegan education, anti animal circus campaigns, anti pet store protests and anti fur protests
-Having the time to read 18 books in 2017 ( read only 10 in 2016)
-Spending more time with my aging parents
-Not being devastated on Sunday nights about the prospect of the week ahead
-Not having to share a bathroom with coworkers. Ugh--sitting in a stall next to somebody. Just awful!
-Not having to deal with the small talk on the elevator at my office
-Little things like having a dream at night about being on a beach then waking up the next day and taking the subway out to Brighton Beach and enjoying the day at the beach
-The feeling of freedom that can hit me at any moment during the day just puts a smile on my face
-Having the time to work on my meditation practice so I can be more relaxed and be present in my life
-Simple things like sitting on a bench in Washington Square park on a midweek spring or fall afternoon reading a book and and feeding almonds to squirrels
-Being able to spend more time with our 2 cats!
-Waking up on any given morning and then just turning over and sleeping for another 30 minutes without a worry in the world

Cons
-Very seldom, but sometimes feeling like I don't "deserve" this
-Feeling a bit alienated from people who are still working
-Sometimes feeling "this is too good to be true" and thinking something bad is going to happen
-Accepting the strange and bewildered looks on peoples faces when I tell them I retired

Last edited by FREE866; 12-31-2017 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: wrong date
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 09:20 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,200,766 times
I have a lot of similarities as an ER (47 when ER, 8 yrs ago). Instead of reading (which is always a goal but can't seem to break away from the computer), I've substituted fitness and travel (small RV trailer) and a few new hobbies (biking, kayaking) into my free time.

I've actually stopped golfing - a sport I played for 30-something years while working. Pretty odd, isn't it?

I'm getting near the age where explaining my ER is no longer needed but I have no regrets. Nor have I had an absolute boring day in the 9 yrs since I retired.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I have a lot of similarities as an ER (47 when ER, 8 yrs ago). Instead of reading (which is always a goal but can't seem to break away from the computer), I've substituted fitness and travel (small RV trailer) and a few new hobbies (biking, kayaking) into my free time.

I've actually stopped golfing - a sport I played for 30-something years while working. Pretty odd, isn't it?

I'm getting near the age where explaining my ER is no longer needed but I have no regrets. Nor have I had an absolute boring day in the 9 yrs since I retired.
Thats great BucFan. 47 wow! Odd about stopping golfing. Maybe golfing was just an escape from the office?

Sometimes I feel I should train for like a triathlon or something, but then I can picture blowing out a knee or something lol

Old 12-31-2017, 11:33 AM

11,262 posts, read 8,421,299 times
You just inspired me to track the number of books I read.
Also you seem fairly disciplined and driven to stay active, even if it's just dressing to go hang out at the beach or park. That, too, is inspirational!
Thanks for volunteering!!
Great post!

Old 12-31-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
You just inspired me to track the number of books I read.
Also you seem fairly disciplined and driven to stay active, even if it's just dressing to go hang out at the beach or park. That, too, is inspirational!
Thanks for volunteering!!
Great post!

Thank you Hunterseat.

Goodreads.com is a great site to track your books.

And yes, I stay active, but not too active!

Old 12-31-2017, 11:57 AM

2,781 posts, read 930,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post

Cons
-Sometimes feeling "this is too good to be true" and thinking something bad is going to happen
-Accepting the strange and bewildered looks on peoples faces when I tell them I retired
I retired a couple months after you did,
and have some of those same feelings.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:22 PM

5,768 posts, read 4,827,803 times
I can't tell you the number of times I've been told "You're too young to be retired". I guess I have a baby-face or something. I think I'm going to start replying "You're too old to still be working". That'll make them think! Sometimes I ask them how old they think I am...now they are stumped, because they don't want to screw up and say a number too old. ..chuckle...

Old 12-31-2017, 01:26 PM

8,760 posts, read 10,834,959 times
One of the biggest problem with retirement is that you never get a day off!!

Old 12-31-2017, 01:34 PM

6,875 posts, read 7,273,507 times
Congrats on the upcoming anniversary.

And to think....some people ask,"you're retired? what do you DO all day?"
They just can't seem to get it....there's PLENTY to do (if you want to).

Everyone I know who's retired is as happy as a pig in slop.
They're all taking better care of themselves, are as involved in volunteering as they want to be, as well as travel or go out more.
There aren't too many things better than having your time be your own.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:35 PM

3,686 posts, read 1,866,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
January 6th, 2017 was my last day working so as I approach my one year anniversary I wanted to express gratitude for being able to share about it on this board. I guess I'll just state what I view as the pros and cons my first year of early retirement.

Pros
- It's an indescribable feeling of relief and freedom not having to be someplace every single morning. Especially Mondays!!
-The ability to do over 100 hours of volunteering with NY Cares doing projects such as helping the elderly with creative writing, teaching chess in Queens, as well as tutoring young adults to prepare for their GED.
-Ample time to exercise 3-4x per week consistently
-Having the time to volunteer on numerous projects to benefit animals such as vegan education, anti animal circus campaigns, anti pet store protests and anti fur protests
-Having the time to read 18 books in 2017 ( read only 10 in 2016)
-Spending more time with my aging parents
-Not being devastated on Sunday nights about the prospect of the week ahead
-Not having to share a bathroom with coworkers. Ugh--sitting in a stall next to somebody. Just awful!
-Not having to deal with the small talk on the elevator at my office
-Little things like having a dream at night about being on a beach then waking up the next day and taking the subway out to Brighton Beach and enjoying the day at the beach
-The feeling of freedom that can hit me at any moment during the day just puts a smile on my face
-Having the time to work on my meditation practice so I can be more relaxed and be present in my life
-Simple things like sitting on a bench in Washington Square park on a midweek spring or fall afternoon reading a book and and feeding almonds to squirrels
-Being able to spend more time with our 2 cats!
-Waking up on any given morning and then just turning over and sleeping for another 30 minutes without a worry in the world

Cons

^^^^thank you for this post ^^^

I am on week TWO and I LOVE it so far. Until my fed pension and SS get going I am dependent on my vacation payout and husband's income, but I am an optimist and know all will be well.

Just got back from a road trip to the Alamo and Austin, saw a show, now hunkered down inside with icy weather outside watching my favorite show of all time, Breaking Bad, from beginning to end.

So far, so good!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement