U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 07:36 AM

28,237 posts, read 39,879,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Listening to an interview a year ago and the lead singer of Cheap Trick was asked if the band was working on any new music. He said they were but not aggressively. He noted so that many fans that come to their concerts want to hear the music from their past as it rekindles memories of times gone by. They are there to spend an hour or so reconnecting to days of long ago.

I am guilty of this, when I hear music from my youth........I sometimes pause and reflect and think back to all those carefree times with friends and girlfriends. Music is much like forgotten photographs, they have a tendency to strike a nerve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAHR...AHR7_VZdRw&t=6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 08:41 AM

7,901 posts, read 5,031,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
The 1970s is "way back"?

Check out Janacek's "Sinfonietta".
Good point. Threads of this type are less about the music per se, than of nostalgia and reminiscences of what was topically popular during one's youth. For me, "way back" would be the 1770s... not because I'm 250 years old (though often it feels that way!), but because I find 20th century artistic expression to be largely exhausted, forced and puerile. Janacek and his contemporaries (Rachmaninoff, Glazunov, Sibelius) were the last squeak of good composers, so to speak, whose music holds appeal for me.

It's hard for me to see much difference between the popular music of say the 1950s, and the present. I am baffled as to how one might adore the one, but despise the other. Others of course will behold matters entirely differently.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:18 PM

221 posts, read 115,909 times
^ Indeed, the time trip pills have kicked in.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:41 PM

5,432 posts, read 2,759,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
OMG, Foghat and "Slow Ride". Doesn't get much better than that. Crank it uuuuuuuuuuup!

I see mentions of MC 5 and Steppenwolf.........be still my heart! Detroit memories of growing up, I wouldn't change my childhood for anything.
The man's voice might be going, but he's still looking good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFYIz0qlb9o

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

It's a thing our parents didn't have this new fangled YouTube and Pandora things . I'm certainly glad I DO, but I DO MISS being able to buy CDs. I have a collection of about 75 that I replaced after a house fire . They are getting to sporadically available now. Instead of records, I wish they'd bring back cassettes. That way i can make my own mix.

I've been taking my old CD collection and uploading it on the computer, then burning CDs for my own mixes. I probably shouldn't say this, but you can also use a Youtube to mp3 converter online to convert the music on Youtube and download it to your computer. I did that when someone stole a bunch of CDs from me and I couldn't find any more to replace them.

I'm finding people are now uploading music on Youtube I haven't heard since the early 70s. There's been a lot uploaded out there in even just the last couple of years.

Plus, again, check and see if your favorite musician is online. Some of them, like Steppenwolf and Tom Rush, offer CDs for sale off their web pages.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 01-04-2018 at 12:02 AM..

Old 01-03-2018, 11:04 PM

2,904 posts, read 1,583,756 times
2 more oldies still playing dates & very entertaining to see because of their humor & musical talent is Arlo Guthrie & Colin Hay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRyKCJUXehM

Old 01-03-2018, 11:22 PM

6,615 posts, read 3,742,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v1S-ypz5a4

Here is a superb Supremes song that is not really well-known, but I really love it. Listening to it right now, alone in my hotel!

I LOVE Motown, and have seen lots of concerts, even if they were imposters!
I remember that one! Loved the Supremes.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:27 PM

6,615 posts, read 3,742,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
The man's voice might be going, but he's still looking good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFYIz0qlb9o

I've been taking my old CD collection and uploading it on the computer, then burning CDs for my own mixes. I probably shouldn't say this, but you can also use a Youtube to mp3 converter online to convert the music on Youtube and download it to your computer. I did that when someone stole a bunch of CDs from me and I couldn't find anymore to replace them.

I'm finding people are now uploading music on Youtube I haven't heard since the early 70s. There's been a lot uploaded out there in even just the last couple of years.

Plus, again, check and see if your favorite musician is online. Some of them, like Steppenwolf and Tom Rush, offer CDs for sale off their web pages.
Good tip. Also, I subscribe to Amazon Prime. With that, I get Amazon Prime Music. Much of the music in its digital library are free. You save it to your playlists (you create the names...I have one called Female Singers, another one is R&B or Soul, etc.). It's FREE! You can download individual songs...maybe entire albums (not sure...I prefer individual songs). You can play them on your computer, or any Amazon device that allows music, I think. But when I unsubscribe, I lose them. In the meantime, if I feel like hearing a song, it's right there for me.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:10 AM

247 posts, read 166,438 times
I guess I am an anomaly. I don't care for the music of my youth. It makes me feel old, not nostalgic. Nostalgia is not a place I spend much time in. I started developing my musical tastes long after most people seem to -- when I first lived alone in my twenties, and didn't have to listen to anyone else's music. I found what I liked was eclectic in the extreme, and most of it was not pop. I'm still the same way today. I like certain classical music, especially opera. I like certain jazz and blues, I like calypso, gypsy music, klezmer, African, Eastern European, a great deal of old church music (although I absolutely loathe Christian Rock). Some interesting indy rock out there.

But not oldies. They just sound musty to me.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:28 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,156,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm the opposite of pretty much everyone else. I can't stand pre 80's music. The stations I listen to play a mix of today's music and the 90's and 2000's. I consider the 70's to be the dark ages of music and the 80's to be the renaissance.
Neil Young's gonna get ya.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:14 AM

3,819 posts, read 1,973,542 times
Who's old enough to remember this 50's song? They should have called this one The Zombie Shuffle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrGLNtZ0rEg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or