U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 07:16 AM

10,281 posts, read 4,859,674 times

Advertisements

I feel everybody's pain. I just turned 63 and people are shocked when they find out how old I am (good genes run in the family) but my body insists I am close to 80. If I sit too long I can barely walk because of my back and hip. I was fine until I made the mistake of spending a long day shopping wear flip flops rather than athletic shoes. I can't believe 6 months ago I was at the gym 3 times a week.

But my brain doesn't feel much different than it did at 30. I want to join a new gym since I moved but don't want to be one of those "New Year's Resolution" people the gym owners make fun of. :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 07:19 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,132,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

But my brain doesn't feel much different than it did at 30. I want to join a new gym since I moved but don't want to be one of those "New Year's Resolution" people the gym owners make fun of. :-(
Just give it another month. The resolution people will have already dropped out.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:54 AM

2,545 posts, read 951,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm still working 3 nights a week at a Long-Term Rehab facility, and last week I went to the Pot Store and bought some Cheba Chews for pain. I was under the impression there were no side effect, thinking it might be like Ibuprofen X 8. Lo and behold, I took a little chew, at work, and I could hardly function the rest of the night. I took the chew at 11, and by 5am, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to drive my car home, but at 6am, I felt confidant to drive the car, using side streets. It says it doesn't activate for 2 hours after you chew it, but I didn't get any pain relief during work, but I was quite pain free the next day up to a point.

Best to take this stuff before you go to sleep at night.

A co-worker told me that she buy the cannabis based cough syrup, which she says is as good as the chewables, but she warns me not to take it at work, only at home.
Smoking it for me is the best as I can judge how much I'm getting. One toke an hour, or two is perfect depending on the strength. I used those little bullets, and closed off each end after a hit so it would go out, and I'd be more thrifty with my weed, and it doesn't all go up in smoke. Just like these little guys which you can buy on Amazon, along with screens.

http://is.alicdn.com/img/pb/922/358/...358922_655.JPG

But edibles are a different story. Many people swear by them. But I've gotten deathly ill on them because nothing was happening so I kept taking a little more, and a little more. I didn't know it would take forever to kick in . But when it did I had taken way too much, and was wiped out on the bathroom floor for several hours sick to my stomach, etc. I will stick with smoking where I know what to expect. Not good for work because of the smell. But if any of you reading this use edibles please go very slow till you know how it will affect you. Give it time to work. We both found out the hard way. Try taking a fraction of what you took that time like 1/2, or 1/4, and see if that works better . Smoking would be very difficult to do too much of, but not so with edibles. They aren't like the pot brownies of old.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:53 AM

1,116 posts, read 593,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Yes, me.

I am around 16 years old in my head. I'm not anywhere close to that age in my body. I can't run anymore. I can't exercise anymore. My balance sucks half the time. If you were to meet me you'd think I was healthy as a horse (where did that saying come from?), but it's a sham.

I protest! But it does me no good.

Oh, and I irritate a lot of others as well, but for a different reason. LOL!
If you think old you are old. Only you can decide. The medical establishment is based on keeping people sick. Endless surgeries, drugs that do nothing to address the underlying problem and cure illness. I'm AARP age and no drugs and surgeries ever. Run 10 miles a day. Think natural everything. It's not easy at first. People stuff their faces and expect our failed medical system to save them. It never works. Now's the chance to take control. Go for it

Old 01-04-2018, 10:10 AM

23,691 posts, read 8,235,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
If you think old you are old. Only you can decide. The medical establishment is based on keeping people sick. Endless surgeries, drugs that do nothing to address the underlying problem and cure illness. I'm AARP age and no drugs and surgeries ever. Run 10 miles a day. Think natural everything. It's not easy at first. People stuff their faces and expect our failed medical system to save them. It never works. Now's the chance to take control. Go for it
I agree on the medical stuff, I avoid doctors and have had that mindset for 20-30 yrs. Not new for me. And I have to laugh when people say, oh it's just a number.

Well, it's true it's a number but my 20,30,40 yr etc numbers felt a lot better than this almost 80 number.

Arthritis is what has stolen a lot of my life in the last 20 some yrs. I joined AARP for one year and did not rejoin.

Hope that 10 mile a day running doesn't end up giving you joint issues. If not already.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:49 AM

2,545 posts, read 951,915 times
Quote:
If you think old you are old. Only you can decide.
The OP never said he thought old. What he did say was "I am around 16 years old in my head."

Everyone is different both genetically, and in our life experiences/stress levels which can greatly affect our health in many ways. Sometimes chronic, or acute health issues crop up unexpectedly which are out of our control, and we are blindsided. Or a disastrous divorce which turned my world upside down. You haven't lived until those things happen, and you have to fight against them along with everything else If it isn't one thing it's three, lol.

Most of the folks who have posted in this thread have agreed that they think young, but their bodies are not on the same wave length. We do what we can, and adjust accordingly. It's awesome you are running daily 10 milers. Keep it up for as long as you can . Once I get my own little apartment I hope to be able to get back into a routine myself, and start running again combined with weights, and yoga 1-2 days a week. At almost 70 I'm rapidly becoming deconditioned as every day passes. Just walking the daughter's dog isn't enough .

Old 01-04-2018, 10:55 AM

Since I can't do what I did MOST of my life re: exercise, dancing long distance WALKING, I have changed majorally what I put in my mouth.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:03 AM

28,237 posts, read 39,884,966 times
Quote:
One surgery in my life on right elbow. Used to run and roller skate all the time.

Your premise is flawed.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
One surgery in my life on right elbow. Used to run and roller skate all the time.

Your premise is flawed.
What is flawed, I'd love to hear what it is. I had two surgeries and have been left with complications from both. I believe once body is cut things are changed in the body.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:05 PM

15,149 posts, read 19,752,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What is flawed, I'd love to hear what it is. I had two surgeries and have been left with complications from both. I believe once body is cut things are changed in the body.

I doubt that your belief is supported for the most part. I've had an ovariohysterectomy, a gall bladder removal, a carotid endarterectomy (after a stroke), fusion of 5 joints in the mid-area of my foot and many other procedures. Never once did I have any after-effects or lingering pain and each surgery has had great results. But, then, I always expected good results and didnt harbor negative thoughts about my doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or