Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 08:14 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,587,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I doubt that your belief is supported for the most part. I've had an ovariohysterectomy, a gall bladder removal, a carotid endarterectomy (after a stroke), fusion of 5 joints in the mid-area of my foot and many other procedures. Never once did I have any after-effects or lingering pain and each surgery has had great results. But, then, I always expected good results and didnt harbor negative thoughts about my doctors.
Well that's amazing all that surgery done and not even a nerve damage or soft tissue damage...truly amazing. You have had lots done to keep surgeons busy and in good finances. And yes we do choose opposite avenues to keep healthy. Doctors/surgeons don't get rich on people like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 09:11 PM

365 posts, read 256,665 times
I am annoyed by supermarkets that have quick service lines with a sign that says something like (12 items max) and then let people with 20+ items use that line.

Why bother with a rule that they don't enforce? Why is it better to keep the cheater happy and let the customers who follow the rule be unhappy?

Old 01-05-2018, 09:17 PM

4,166 posts, read 2,529,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombus View Post
I am annoyed by supermarkets that have quick service lines with a sign that says something like (12 items max) and then let people with 20+ items use that line.

Why bother with a rule that they don't enforce? Why is it better to keep the cheater happy and let the customers who follow the rule be unhappy?
Haha, I agree. Am I the only one who actually counts the things in their cart? If I have 1 over the limit I may go anyway but am wracked with guilt while in line .

Old 01-05-2018, 10:29 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,587,796 times
I get in that express line and OFTEN have more items than allowed, so they say, but I don't have $100's in groceries, no guilt from this lady. Wasted energy that guilt stuff on insignificant issues.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:25 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,650,087 times
I hate waiting on repair men because I no longer have a ladder. I got rid of my ladder because I no longer need to be climbing a ladder.

Small jobs that I can't do because I need to take care of my hands. Things that no one I pay is going to be as careful as I would have been myself when I was able...... and I have to pay them.

I have been without my main source of heat for awhile. I have paid to have it repaired. No one listens to me. Yesterday, on my way to get the mail in the 6 degree weather, I saw something in the outside vent. I can see myself putting the ladder up and unscrewing the vent cover, but I know I am no longer able to do it.

frustrating. I would poke it with a stick but I don't want to knock whatever it is back down the stove pipe.

You might think I would be better off renting . Nah. I just needed to complain. I was always pretty handy. Being old is a pain in the posterior sometimes but mostly its okay.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I get in that express line and OFTEN have more items than allowed, so they say, but I don't have $100's in groceries, no guilt from this lady. Wasted energy that guilt stuff on insignificant issues.
I employed exaggeration for emphasis . But I do take the limit on the sign literally, not as merely a suggestion.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:06 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,066,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Haha, I agree. Am I the only one who actually counts the things in their cart? If I have 1 over the limit I may go anyway but am wracked with guilt while in line .
I do count if I didn't do major shopping and don't go in the express line if I have more than the limit.

I actually go to the self checkout when I have the limit or less as the self checkouts in my supermarket are limited to 15 items or less.

I wish they'd remove that restriction though so I can do my own checkout and bagging. One too many times I get home and unpack squished bread.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
I do count if I didn't do major shopping and don't go in the express line if I have more than the limit.

I actually go to the self checkout when I have the limit or less as the self checkouts in my supermarket are limited to 15 items or less.

I wish they'd remove that restriction though so I can do my own checkout and bagging. One too many times I get home and unpack squished bread.
I need to make myself learn how to use the self checkout. My ex husband scared me saying not to move things once I set them down since it weighs it all, and thinks you are stealing, or something??? But there isn't enough room to pile everything up if you bought much. I need a calm, and patient coach to walk me through the process, about 100 times I think . Then I could go solo, lol. I enjoy the swiping things on the scanner part, and that's it. The rest I have definite dain bramage with .

Old 01-06-2018, 11:48 AM

14,846 posts, read 11,978,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombus View Post

Well, we live in a small town where in the summers (when the snowbirds are gone), our local grocery store during the day often has few customers. In those times they may have only one checkout line open, and sometimes two, with one being a 10 or 20 items or less line. And on occasion when the other line has a couple people in it, the cashier at the 20 items or less, having had no customers at all for a while, has motioned me over to her line, even though I have more then 20 items. I'm not about to turn down this offer, if she has no customers and it means I won't have to wait, why would I?

Well, inevitably, as this cashier is checking out my groceries, along comes a couple (with my luck self-entitled northeastern transplants) with just a few items, who now have to wait behind me as my groceries are checked out and paid for. And in the process, they've unloaded their nasty looks and snide comments towards me about the "selfishness" and inconsideration of people who misuse those 20 or less item checkout lines. I generally smile and ignore them, but I can only imagine how they unload on the cashier when it's their turn.

I'd say under those circumstances when an idle cashier in one of those 20 or less lines offered to checkout the items in my full grocery cart, and I saw customers with less than 20 items come along ready for checkout, I'd let them ahead of me, because after all, I really am not in the habit of abusing such things. But once the cashier is in the process of checking out items, it's a PIA to stop that, and start another checkout transaction with the next customer. Besides, the times this has happened, I didn't have that many more items than the 20, and we were nearly finished so the customers didn't have to wait that long anyway.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:59 AM

14,846 posts, read 11,978,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The number limit in an express line refers to the number of items, not their total cost.

I imagine that's a common rationale among those who figure their own convenience is paramount, and to hell with anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement