U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 11:04 AM

2,545 posts, read 951,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, we live in a small town where in the summers (when the snowbirds are gone), our local grocery store during the day often has few customers. In those times they may have only one checkout line open, and sometimes two, with one being a 10 or 20 items or less line. And on occasion when the other line has a couple people in it, the cashier at the 20 items or less, having had no customers at all for a while, has motioned me over to her line, even though I have more then 20 items. I'm not about to turn down this offer, if she has no customers and it means I won't have to wait, why would I?
Completely different situation. Of course it would be permissible to go in that line when it is slow, and the checker gives permission. But not during a busy time. If it inconveniences others then go by the rules. It's good manners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 01:44 PM

28,237 posts, read 39,884,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I need to make myself learn how to use the self checkout. My ex husband scared me saying not to move things once I set them down since it weighs it all, and thinks you are stealing, or something??? But there isn't enough room to pile everything up if you bought much. I need a calm, and patient coach to walk me through the process, about 100 times I think . Then I could go solo, lol. I enjoy the swiping things on the scanner part, and that's it. The rest I have definite dain bramage with .
Most stores have someone working those so if you get in trouble (Me almost every time. I hate them, but sometimes I have to) they will straighten it out.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:13 PM

7,291 posts, read 15,345,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombus View Post
I am annoyed by supermarkets that have quick service lines with a sign that says something like (12 items max) and then let people with 20+ items use that line.

Why bother with a rule that they don't enforce? Why is it better to keep the cheater happy and let the customers who follow the rule be unhappy?
Often whatever PIC (which, lol, stands for "Person In Charge") is running the area in front of the checkstands will waive someone through to the "Express" line to relieve the lines at the other checkstands, so it isn't always that someone has chosen to ignore the sign.

Although my store used to do this, at the last remodel they took out all the Express stands and put in new self-check areas, doubling the self-check size. Now your choice is self-check or wait in the longer lines. I use one of those "comment cards" to complain about once a week (for the last 12 weeks, lol), but this isn't just my local store's decision or even the chain's HQ, it is coming down from Kroger.

Sort of like pumping my own gas* (which the internet had a field day with), I do not WANT to check my own groceries and bag them, as it doesn't save me time or money and my checker has all the produce codes memorized and doesn't waste time looking them up.

*which I don't do anyway because my around-town car is electric and I just plug it in at night.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:42 PM

9,745 posts, read 7,027,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Completely different situation. Of course it would be permissible to go in that line when it is slow, and the checker gives permission. But not during a busy time. If it inconveniences others then go by the rules. It's good manners.
If it were a busy time, the cashier at the express line wouldn't be inviting customers with full carts into that line. But as for the folks who took issue at someone with more than 20 items being checked out in the express lane( at the specific invite of an idle cashier) when they arrived with their less than 20 items, I guess I'd have to remind them that checkout in the express lane sometimes involves a bit of a wait.

Some people are just plain surly curmudgeons, though. Reminds me of the time a woman standing in front of me in a checkout line took me to task for not using the express line as I had only 2-3 items. Actually the express checkout line had somewhere around 10-15 people in it, and I figured that it would be quicker to checkout in a regular line, which had fewer customers in line. I laughed at the woman, asking her how in the world my standing in a regular line with a couple items should bother her, especially as she was in front of me. She didn't answer, just kept haranging on about how I should be in the express line, through the entire time she was checking her groceries, and as she left with the bagged groceries. I do have to say, this got a good laugh from the other customers, and the clerk, it was so ridiculous.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:46 PM

2,215 posts, read 742,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Often whatever PIC (which, lol, stands for "Person In Charge") is running the area in front of the checkstands will waive someone through to the "Express" line to relieve the lines at the other checkstands, so it isn't always that someone has chosen to ignore the sign.

Although my store used to do this, at the last remodel they took out all the Express stands and put in new self-check areas, doubling the self-check size. Now your choice is self-check or wait in the longer lines. I use one of those "comment cards" to complain about once a week (for the last 12 weeks, lol), but this isn't just my local store's decision or even the chain's HQ, it is coming down from Kroger.

Sort of like pumping my own gas* (which the internet had a field day with), I do not WANT to check my own groceries and bag them, as it doesn't save me time or money and my checker has all the produce codes memorized and doesn't waste time looking them up.

*which I don't do anyway because my around-town car is electric and I just plug it in at night.
Where I shop they hire college kids to do the checkout stuff and most of the time they don't even know what the produce is. They will hold it up and ask "What is this ?" so they can look it up. And the self checkouts in my supermarket have the same produce cards the cashiers use so it's quite easy to look up the code.

For me self checkout is quicker because I can tell a white potato from a red potato from a sweet potato from a baking potato.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:17 AM

10,281 posts, read 4,859,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christineva View Post
just give it another month. The resolution people will have already dropped out.

:d

Old 01-16-2018, 02:54 PM

2,545 posts, read 951,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Most stores have someone working those so if you get in trouble (Me almost every time. I hate them, but sometimes I have to) they will straighten it out.
Thanks for the encouragement . So glad I'm not the only one who feels like that. Misery love company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or