Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 03:56 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I still feel quite young and all is fine until I look in the mirror!!
I don't look my age. Or so I've been told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 04:24 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Sometimes we forget how senior we are....we are only in our early thirties in our minds.
This happened a couple weeks ago.....
A friend (recovering from an ankle injury) needed a new refrigerator moved down a flight of steps.
"Oh we'll be happy to do it for a couple beers" we say. (we are approaching 70)
Two of us show up at the appointed time with a proper dolly for the steps.
We get the refrigerator secured on the dolly and wheel it to the top of the steps.
We pause and say a silent prayer.
We start down the steps -- one at a time -- thump, thump, thump...
We make it down safely. We stand the refrigerator up. All is well...
I go to move a piece of furniture out of the path we need to take.
The next sound is my side-kick squashed like a bug under the refrigerator.
It fell backwards on him...somehow. He's still talking under the refrigerator... "I'm OK...I'm OK"
We got the refrigerator up and he actually was OK but a little banged up. No permanent scars.
We got the refrigerator where it needed to be and set it up.
We got those beers!! No 911 calls!! A good day.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:36 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I beat myself up because I don't work out as hard as I used to. I'm about to turn 56 and I have one shoulder that hurts pretty much all the time and various other aches and pains. But I have a neighbor who is 92 and amazingly active. She does yard work, drives (not in a scary way), grocery shops, and has all her marbles. I know genes play a role, but she attributes her aging well to exercising three times/week which she's done for years. I think she does some sort of Silver Sneakers workout, so it's not super strenuous, but it seems to make a big difference.

The moral of the story is "don't give up." Even if you're not doing what you did 20 years ago, keep doing as much as you can as long as you can.
Don't beat yourself up, do what you can do, don't push beyond limits. Progress not perfection..whatever that is.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:37 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Sometimes we forget how senior we are....we are only in our early thirties in our minds.
This happened a couple weeks ago.....
A friend (recovering from an ankle injury) needed a new refrigerator moved down a flight of steps.
"Oh we'll be happy to do it for a couple beers" we say. (we are approaching 70)
Two of us show up at the appointed time with a proper dolly for the steps.
We get the refrigerator secured on the dolly and wheel it to the top of the steps.
We pause and say a silent prayer.
We start down the steps -- one at a time -- thump, thump, thump...
We make it down safely. We stand the refrigerator up. All is well...
I go to move a piece of furniture out of the path we need to take.
The next sound is my side-kick squashed like a bug under the refrigerator.
It fell backwards on him...somehow. He's still talking under the refrigerator... "I'm OK...I'm OK"
We got the refrigerator up and he actually was OK but a little banged up. No permanent scars.
We got the refrigerator where it needed to be and set it up.
We got those beers!! No 911 calls!! A good day.
Good grief -- your friend was sure lucky...not his time. You two took on a big endeavor for 2 beers.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:54 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I still feel quite young and all is fine until I look in the mirror!!
I know what you mean. My outside doesn't match up with my inside, lol.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:30 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's not depressing unless you keep telling yourself it is. Embrace the good times and easy times that were
and be thankful for the memories. Everyone starts to age the day we are born.
Thanx for the encouragement, but believe me, it is seriously depressing because each day of my life, my inability reminds me. I am thankful that I remember what it feels like to FLY across a ballet studio, suspended in the air, but it's like a drug - I WANT IT again, forever ! It seems better to never have known the feeling.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:52 PM

23,210 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Need I say more, Aries here, deemed the Eternal Child, with a 68YO body that is disintegrating by the day. Shoulders have gone kaput the last 3-4 months, and Tinnitus just arrived 2 weeks ago, first time. About the only exercise I insist upon every other day is a bike ride for the sake of my knee. My knee always feels better after a bike ride, even if it's less than a mile.

And with a Legal Marijuana Store, Jardin, now open 4 blocks from my house from 10am to midnite, I think I know what's coming!

Old 01-02-2018, 11:30 PM

373 posts, read 377,337 times
I'm 61, and feel pretty good, actually. I have taken up horseback riding, which has a lot of built in exercise (mostly shoveling poo). I lost 25 pounds and found my flexibility and balance has magically increased.

I'm in the middle of packing for the relo of a lifetime, and yesterday, skimming some old journals and letters from when I was in my twenties, I thought, thank Jesus I'm not THAT person any more! What a self-absorbed conflicted confused mess she was. Much happier being the person I am now.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:57 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,034,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
My husband restores and sells vintage Mustangs-he does beautiful work and gets alot of money for them- he kept the best one for us- I don't know how to tell him I won't be driving it- I just don't want to be that kind of old.

Disagree with this. You should have kept your rock t-shirts and worn them, and you should be in that Mustang with the music on, the windows down, and your hand, ahem, somewhere on your husband's body. Even if you're 95. Getting old is a fact, but how to get old is a choice.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:56 AM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I don't look my age. Or so I've been told.
do what i do .i cover all my mirrors with pictures of muscular guys . whenever i look in the mirror i am impressed with myself .

i think i screwed up though the last time i did it . i looked in the mirror and said to myself " you are one good looking black-man " ha ha ha , the problem was i am a white guy ....... i think i have to re-do the pictures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement