U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 06:26 AM

8,615 posts, read 9,678,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I still feel quite young and all is fine until I look in the mirror!!

LOL...same here. That's why I keep it down to looking in the mirror once a day when getting ready for work and that's it! I get told, all the time, that I don't look/act 75 but *I* think I do. I think it's my personality that does that though because I'm almost always happy and 'upbeat'. Besides, nobody has ever been able to tell me just how I'm 'supposed' to look and act at any certain age, so there is that.

All my life I've said I am never going to be 'old'. Can't help aging chronologically but I don't HAVE to get 'old'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 06:32 AM

5,371 posts, read 9,860,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
LOL...same here. That's why I keep it down to looking in the mirror once a day when getting ready for work and that's it! I get told, all the time, that I don't look/act 75 but *I* think I do. I think it's my personality that does that though because I'm almost always happy and 'upbeat'. Besides, nobody has ever been able to tell me just how I'm 'supposed' to look and act at any certain age, so there is that.

All my life I've said I am never going to be 'old'. Can't help aging chronologically but I don't HAVE to get 'old'.
You're right! We're only as old as we "act." A youthful mindset and playful spirit and outlook means we're never "old" in the set-in-our-ways type of old. Our bodies may be aging -- but our spirits don't have to.

My goal is to be the "best" at my age that I can be. That translates into healthful eating, frequent exercise, learning new skills, and opting to be around upbeat people.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
You're right! We're only as old as we "act." A youthful mindset and playful spirit and outlook means we're never "old" in the set-in-our-ways type of old. Our bodies may be aging -- but our spirits don't have to.

My goal is to be the "best" at my age that I can be. That translates into healthful eating, frequent exercise, learning new skills, and opting to be around upbeat people.

Sometimes I get tired of the old clichés like "You're only as old as you feel", "Age is just a number", etc. etc. because those are only, what I call, 'feel good phrases'. It's really more than that but, oh well.

I think I have always been 'young at heart' and I think that's why people didn't take me very seriously when I was younger. I guess they thought I was immature when I was actually just not a worry wart. lol

Old 01-03-2018, 07:03 AM

5,753 posts, read 4,167,874 times
Yes, it would sure be nice to keep our brains and just switch into a new body like an EverReady battery LOL

Old 01-03-2018, 08:37 AM

15,254 posts, read 16,826,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I still feel quite young and all is fine until I look in the mirror!!
I live in my home town and see people I've known since elementary school. I make myself laugh because I'll think, "she looks OLD!" and then I have to acknowledge that she must be thinking the same thing about me. Oh well. Whatareyagonnado?

Old 01-03-2018, 08:56 AM

2,557 posts, read 953,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And with a Legal Marijuana Store, Jardin, now open 4 blocks from my house from 10am to midnite, I think I know what's coming!
It really does work wonderfully for pain. It doesn't remove it completely, but kind of lifts you gently away from it, disengages you. Kind of hard to describe. Last year in Wa I was able to walk, and finish the Olympic Discovery Trail Marathon, 10k portion, Trolls Gone Wild 10k, and the Port Townsend Rhody Run 12k . So you can still do stuff while on your meds.

After stupidly moving from a legal state (Wa) to one where it isn't legal (NC, crazy divorce) I have been suffering greatly. I've had 24/7 body wide pain for about 21 yrs. Legal mj was my only respite. So I've been seeing if there was a way to move back. Difficult on a fixed income.

Smoke a little for me if you will .

Old 01-03-2018, 09:14 AM

2,557 posts, read 953,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
do what i do .i cover all my mirrors with pictures of muscular guys . whenever i look in the mirror i am impressed with myself .

i think i screwed up though the last time i did it . i looked in the mirror and said to myself " you are one good looking black-man " ha ha ha , the problem was i am a white guy ....... i think i have to re-do the pictures
Hahaha, that was pretty funny. Good sense of humor.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:18 AM

10,322 posts, read 9,374,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I don't look my age. Or so I've been told.
And I hope that means you look younger? Wouldn't it be awful if one were say 70 years old and someone said, "Wow, you don't look 70 at all, you look more like 80"

Old 01-03-2018, 09:40 AM

6,308 posts, read 3,572,105 times
What irritates me is how much longer it takes me to do things. I have a list I think I can whiz right through and only get one or two things done.

This especially applies to maintaining the body. Seems like these days keeping washed, dried, brushed, checked, exercised, fitted takes up the majority of my time.

It's things that need to be done for health's sake but I have this thought of arriving at the Pearly Gates and being scolded by St. Peter with a list in his hand saying, "Do you know that you spent X hours just polishing your shoes, X hours, washing your hair, X hours sitting in the doctor's waiting room, etc? Why did you waste all that precious time we gave you?"

Old 01-03-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I live in my home town and see people I've known since elementary school. I make myself laugh because I'll think, "she looks OLD!" and then I have to acknowledge that she must be thinking the same thing about me. Oh well. Whatareyagonnado?

Same here. I live in a fairly small town that I've lived in, off and on, my whole life since I was two. I know a lot of people and see a lot of them all the time because of my job. Eventually I quit thinking that. They are just who they are now and I don't even think about them being younger. Anymore it seems like they've always looked the same. And I'm sure they think the same about me. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or