U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 02:13 PM

15,254 posts, read 16,821,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I have a bunch of exercises I do for my arthritic hips and shoulders. Most I learned in physical therapy when the arthritis was diagnosed, some were taken from a yoga DVD my daughter gave me. Trouble is, they're not a cure-all, and sometimes I have to lay off some of them. Then I never know if my latest ache or pain is from doing the exercises, or NOT doing the exercises!
Sounds familiar!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 03:19 PM

28,231 posts, read 39,872,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
And I hope that means you look younger? Wouldn't it be awful if one were say 70 years old and someone said, "Wow, you don't look 70 at all, you look more like 80"
LOL!! Yes. Most people guess at least 5 years younger. Same with my wife. Genetics and a happy marriage certainly help.

Speaking of genetics we had our DNA done. Our percentages are so close we have decided we have to cousins of some kind. Maybe 83rd removed.

And I'm not Germain. I'm mostly Irish. Heck of a surprise.

My wife found a whole new family in Texas through a step-grandmother situation. They have all the old records she's been looking for for years.

One of my brothers has been collecting tons of information about ancestors on my father's side. I finally told him that none of those people are relatives. Our dad was adopted and we have no records of his real parents. His sister was also adopted so that line doesn't help.

He hasn't talked to me since. Oops.

Crazy!

Old 01-03-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I have a bunch of exercises I do for my arthritic hips and shoulders. Most I learned in physical therapy when the arthritis was diagnosed, some were taken from a yoga DVD my daughter gave me. Trouble is, they're not a cure-all, and sometimes I have to lay off some of them. Then I never know if my latest ache or pain is from doing the exercises, or NOT doing the exercises!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Same here. But at least if we'd get off our dead butts and DO the exercises, perhaps we could clear those walls on a single leap and so forth.
Had something interesting happen last spring. I have numerous problems that keep me from being overly active. Peripheral neuropathy, non-diagnosed arthritis, non-diagnosed fibromyalgia, yada yada yada. By non-diagnosed I mean that doctors have told me that's what I have, but tests don't show it. {shrug}

We went on a Viking river cruise and I was concerned about all the walking during the excursions. I figured if I couldn't do it I'd just stay on the boat.

About 6 days in one of our traveling companions asked how I was doing. Well I was doing just fine! No foot pain, very little balance problems, no all over body aches, very minor joint pain. The strange thing is that I didn't even notice the absence of it all. I supposed it like a squeaky wheel (or joint). No squeaky no notice.

Unfortunately, I can't walk as much here so it's back, but not as bad. That was one heck of a surprise.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:45 PM

Anyone looking for pain relief and willing to try an alternative should look into hemp oil. It's legal in all 50 states, and it works for me. I use it to get to sleep.

https://www.medicalmarijuanainc.com/...-cbd-hemp-oil/

Old 01-03-2018, 03:45 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,230,512 times
I'm 65 1/2 and still holding (knock on my wooden head). No aches, no pains, just this lousy cold I've had for a few days. I still sail my 36 ft sailboat alone and just finished painting the inside of my house. I live in a 3 story house, so my knees get a good workout every day. I've been lucky not to get anything like arthritis that limits my activities. I lost 30 pounds over the past year, so I'm toting less weight around. I walk every day and do some light lifting. I like to say that I'm getting ready for the NEXT 65 years. One thing that I DO do is "be careful". I approach heavy physical jobs carefully, secure in the knowledge that a bad back is just one stupid move away. I work around different homes every day, often with uneven ground. I watch where I'm walking and pay attention. Simple things like that can help to prevent that first accident or fall. If it ever gets warm again, I'll be ripping through the canyons in my convertible blasting classic rock on the radio. You're only as old as you feel.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:31 PM

2,533 posts, read 950,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Sucks when our bodies betray us!! Grrrrrrr
I'll be walking down some stairs and I'll get this horrible twinge in my knee.....or I get arthritis in different places here and there that come and go. Yup, "the motor is sputtering" LOLOLOL
I laugh to make myself feel better but inside I'm saying "Hell, I don't feel old in my mind".
(and I just turned 56)
All downhill from here I guess. HA!!
No doubt, when the warranty runs out everything starts to break .

Old 01-03-2018, 04:41 PM

23,651 posts, read 8,227,438 times
A friend who is now about 84 or so, said things really changed when she hit that 80 mark. I have that mark next Aug.

My skin is good as I know grape seed ex works internally and externally.

Many skin products contain grape seed ex and or pycnogenol. Shampoos too.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:17 PM

9,744 posts, read 7,025,154 times
I hear you. I'm a 20 year old in a 70 yr old body, muhself. Sometimes it's a mighty rude awakening.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:36 PM

9,744 posts, read 7,025,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
do what i do .i cover all my mirrors with pictures of muscular guys . whenever i look in the mirror i am impressed with myself .

i think i screwed up though the last time i did it . i looked in the mirror and said to myself " you are one good looking black-man " ha ha ha , the problem was i am a white guy ....... i think i have to re-do the pictures
LOL, I guess that beats looking in the mirror and wondering "Who IS that old f@rt (or fartress, in my case), and why in he!! do we keep that ugly old picture around?

Old 01-03-2018, 05:55 PM

2,533 posts, read 950,798 times
"Fartress", lol that was good. I really like this thread. I want to give everybody reps, but I keep running out, sorry. Consider yourselves repped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or