U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-04-2018, 01:52 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
3,619 posts, read 1,632,678 times
Reputation: 6140

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
Hi. I'll be 60 years old this year and ready to retire. I am a single female. I have very little money. Here's what I want.

Beautiful lakes, mountains and a beautiful view
Low or no taxes
A nice house on lots of land (and maybe a second place in the city so I won't feel so alone)
A nice climate - meaning it only rains when I'm in the mood for a good afternoon storm and then it goes away. It only snows when I'm sick of looking at the naked ground and want a winter wonderland, then it goes away when I want it to. It only gets hot when I feel like going for a swim. It only gets cold when I'm sick of the heat
Maybe we could get some ocean with the lakes and the mountains
A nice community but I want them to go away when I want some solitude
Not a lot of traffic but when I want company I want to be close to things to do and people to see
Great health care but no deductibles from my insurance. I also want to be close to the finest hospitals.
Good public transit. Maybe they could pick me up at my house and take me where I want to go.

I have seen many threads like this and people have great advice about where to move. Please help me find my paradise

(If you can't think of anything I might buy a van and just go where the mood takes me)
Looks like San Francisco is your answer.

You have the ocean, the mountains are not far and there's many beautiful views.
If you're poor you don't pay any taxes.
We call them tents...but when you take over panhandle park (double meaning) then you get tons of land.
It rains there.
If you want the snow you can head up to Tahoe whenever you'd like.
Lots of nice people. If you want them to go away just ask for some help with something.
Tons of traffic...sorry
There's great health care in the area. There's also welfare programs. The two aren't the same though. Just go to the ER.
Lots of busses go to the park.

Don't wait a minute longer. Join the hordes of homeless that have taken over San Francisco. Remember you need to either be a trust fund baby or homeless to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2018, 04:56 AM
 
13,322 posts, read 25,578,684 times
Reputation: 20520
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Willoughby...next stop Willoughby.
I love the episode! All the old TZ shows, the Rod Serling ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 05:24 AM
 
4,446 posts, read 2,618,160 times
Reputation: 10368
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
Hi. I'll be 60 years old this year and ready to retire. I am a single female. I have very little money. Here's what I want.

Beautiful lakes, mountains and a beautiful view
Low or no taxes
A nice house on lots of land (and maybe a second place in the city so I won't feel so alone)
A nice climate - meaning it only rains when I'm in the mood for a good afternoon storm and then it goes away. It only snows when I'm sick of looking at the naked ground and want a winter wonderland, then it goes away when I want it to. It only gets hot when I feel like going for a swim. It only gets cold when I'm sick of the heat
Maybe we could get some ocean with the lakes and the mountains
A nice community but I want them to go away when I want some solitude
Not a lot of traffic but when I want company I want to be close to things to do and people to see
Great health care but no deductibles from my insurance. I also want to be close to the finest hospitals.
Good public transit. Maybe they could pick me up at my house and take me where I want to go.

I have seen many threads like this and people have great advice about where to move. Please help me find my paradise

(If you can't think of anything I might buy a van and just go where the mood takes me)
Sounds like Camelot would be perfect for you.

In Camelot, it only rains after sundown, camelot....

If you find this dream land let me know. I want to retire there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 08:12 AM
 
329 posts, read 162,889 times
Reputation: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Looks like San Francisco is your answer.

You have the ocean, the mountains are not far and there's many beautiful views.
If you're poor you don't pay any taxes.
We call them tents...but when you take over panhandle park (double meaning) then you get tons of land.
It rains there.
If you want the snow you can head up to Tahoe whenever you'd like.
Lots of nice people. If you want them to go away just ask for some help with something.
Tons of traffic...sorry
There's great health care in the area. There's also welfare programs. The two aren't the same though. Just go to the ER.
Lots of busses go to the park.

Don't wait a minute longer. Join the hordes of homeless that have taken over San Francisco. Remember you need to either be a trust fund baby or homeless to live there.
I love it! I've got my tent and my sleeping bag and my propane stove and I'm ready to go. Now I just need, as my mother used to say, carfare. (I just wish I had one of those little sticks with the handkerchief tied to the end)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 08:19 AM
 
329 posts, read 162,889 times
Reputation: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Seattle. If things don't work out you can hang out in Victor Steinbrueck Park, and inhale the smoke!
Oh, so sorry. As you can tell, I'm not very picky but one thing I just cannot stand is smoke. If I wanted smoke I'd buy a gas mask and hang around Kennedy Plaza in downtown Providence. Standing right beside the "No Smoking" signs is the surest way to become asphyxiated while you're waiting for the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 09:07 AM
 
Location: R.I.
979 posts, read 606,846 times
Reputation: 4248
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
Oh, so sorry. As you can tell, I'm not very picky but one thing I just cannot stand is smoke. If I wanted smoke I'd buy a gas mask and hang around Kennedy Plaza in downtown Providence. Standing right beside the "No Smoking" signs is the surest way to become asphyxiated while you're waiting for the bus.

LOL I too am from R.I, work in Providence and I agree the smoke that engulfs Kennedy Plaza is pretty bad and surprised it hasn't yet melted the General Ambrose Burnside statue!! But for me, I'll take the smoke any day over what I remember of the fumes coming from Haven Brothers hot dogs because there is a good reason the locals call them "gaggers". But I must admit when I was 20 something they did taste pretty good at 2 am after a long night of partying at Lupos when you have a bad case of the munchies and are ready to eat your own shoe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 10:32 AM
 
9,893 posts, read 3,279,390 times
Reputation: 7254
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
Hi. I'll be 60 years old this year and ready to retire. I am a single female. I have very little money. Here's what I want.

Beautiful lakes, mountains and a beautiful view
Low or no taxes
A nice house on lots of land (and maybe a second place in the city so I won't feel so alone)
A nice climate - meaning it only rains when I'm in the mood for a good afternoon storm and then it goes away. It only snows when I'm sick of looking at the naked ground and want a winter wonderland, then it goes away when I want it to. It only gets hot when I feel like going for a swim. It only gets cold when I'm sick of the heat
Maybe we could get some ocean with the lakes and the mountains
A nice community but I want them to go away when I want some solitude
Not a lot of traffic but when I want company I want to be close to things to do and people to see
Great health care but no deductibles from my insurance. I also want to be close to the finest hospitals.
Good public transit. Maybe they could pick me up at my house and take me where I want to go.

I have seen many threads like this and people have great advice about where to move. Please help me find my paradise

(If you can't think of anything I might buy a van and just go where the mood takes me)

to be fair you could look to non US locations. if you have SS there are plenty of places where you can stretch that dollar..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 10:47 AM
 
329 posts, read 162,889 times
Reputation: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
LOL I too am from R.I, work in Providence and I agree the smoke that engulfs Kennedy Plaza is pretty bad and surprised it hasn't yet melted the General Ambrose Burnside statue!! But for me, I'll take the smoke any day over what I remember of the fumes coming from Haven Brothers hot dogs because there is a good reason the locals call them "gaggers". But I must admit when I was 20 something they did taste pretty good at 2 am after a long night of partying at Lupos when you have a bad case of the munchies and are ready to eat your own shoe.
HAHAHAHA! I remember those days well!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 10:52 AM
 
329 posts, read 162,889 times
Reputation: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
to be fair you could look to non US locations. if you have SS there are plenty of places where you can stretch that dollar..
I'm nothing if not fair! Seriously, I have a friend who I've known for about 35 years who is a travelling nurse. Her husband died a couple of years ago and she's thinking of moving to Mexico if she ever retires. She's about 67 now and I think work is the thing that keeps her going. But she's got me subscribing to a blog called International Living but I really haven't read it yet. I move it a folder in my Yahoo when it comes daily to my mailbox. I did listen to one of their podcasts and they wanted you to buy a package about how to teach ESL, but I think I could figure that out myself if I wanted to do that. But it IS a consideration. I'd better brush up on my college Spanish instead of trying to learn all these other crazy languages on Duolingo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Moore, Ok
79 posts, read 65,951 times
Reputation: 269
You need to check out Hobo Traveler for the real scoop on traveling to foreign countries. Some if not all those "international travel sites" may have some real estate to sell you. You can meet some real travelers there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top