U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2018, 01:47 PM

329 posts, read 163,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I think pots are legal in most states.
Pots are legal here. It's pans where they draw the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 02:47 PM

416 posts, read 202,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Puna, on the Big Island of Hawaii.
lovely weather, inexpensive land.
More fact that myth. You can actually meet most of your criteria in Hawaii. Sorry, no nice lakes though.

Hawaii is well known as a welfare state, so all your medical is covered, home on a few acres is cheeeep.

Government assistance - housing,food,healthcare,transportation ect. is plentiful enough to live fairly equal to a 35,000/ income while relaxing in your home or at the beach.

It's only expensive for the tourists....someone has to pay

Old 01-06-2018, 05:03 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,753,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
Well that's OK because I don't think you really want to be in Manhattan in July; way too warm and humid. And I remember when I was in Paris in August, every Parisien worth his salt left and headed to the beach. It was just like Paris had emptied right out in front of my nose. But of course this was 1980 so I don't know what they do now but it does get hot, and I remember practically the whole month of June it rained.

I, for one, would LOVE to spend some time in Sydney.

It's on my bucket list (and that list is right in back of the list I wrote about at the beginning of this thread, which seems like years ago now!
You should go. Lovely city. I wrote this quickly without thinking our the exact dates. Not that it matters for me. Lol.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:18 PM

436 posts, read 195,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Here's what I want "Beachfront summer property on Watson's Bay in Sydney from November through May; penthouse on 58th Street Manhattan may through July; Paris August through November.

Here's what I can afford:
Wow does anyone know where this is????

Old 01-06-2018, 07:56 PM

1,630 posts, read 970,271 times
Quote:
Oh yeah! That show used to crack me up. There'd always be one sh*thole, one nice little house, and one 'dreamhouse' that they couldn't afford. Invariably they'd chose the 'dreamhouse' that they couldn't afford. I used to SMDH and laugh.
Oh, the whiners on that show. The bedroom is too cramped, only one sink, no walk in closet, whine, whine, whine.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:56 PM

12,309 posts, read 15,215,162 times
At least two things you have going for you: Good schools mean high real estate prices. Propinquity to jobs also tends to boost real estate. You don't need either. Look for property in a rotten school district not within commuting distance of employment centers.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:59 PM

2,608 posts, read 966,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Here's what I want "Beachfront summer property on Watson's Bay in Sydney from November through May; penthouse on 58th Street Manhattan may through July; Paris August through November.

Here's what I can afford:
Ain't that the truth, lol!

Old 01-06-2018, 08:06 PM

2,608 posts, read 966,899 times
Quote:
Sorry to hear that, mlulu. I'm glad you're keeping your sense of humor. From my own experience, it sure does come in handy.
Thank you . I just wanted to stand up for you somehow. One of these days I will stop whining about that stupid experience . Sorry everybody.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:33 PM

7,154 posts, read 1,799,118 times
Quote:
Hi. I'll be 60 years old this year and ready to retire. I am a single female. I have very little money. Here's what I want.
Perhaps a place I have heard of called fairy tale land. Not sure where it is but I am pretty sure that is where you want to go.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:31 AM

4,455 posts, read 1,693,092 times
What do you mean by "no money". I know people who think $40k year is not enough to live on.

Think of a third world country that is easy for tourists go get into. You can lived cheaply in an expat community in Central America, without any immigration hassles. You get stamped in for 90 days, and ride the bus to the nearest border and back every three months to reenter -- it's called a "visa run". Fly back to the US once in a while for any medical treatment you might need on Medicare. In Guatemala, lots of expats are living on around $500 a month in the Antigua-Atitlan area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or