U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-07-2018, 07:55 AM
 
329 posts, read 162,806 times
Reputation: 509

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Thank you . I just wanted to stand up for you somehow. One of these days I will stop whining about that stupid experience . Sorry everybody.
No worries. And you weren't whining, you were stating a fact. Look up xplorer48's post above about the House Hunters show, "oh, the whiners on that show. The bedroom is too cramped, only one sink, no walk in closet, whine, whine, whine."

Now THAT'S whining - he/she is so right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2018, 08:00 AM
 
329 posts, read 162,806 times
Reputation: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
What do you mean by "no money". I know people who think $40k year is not enough to live on.

Think of a third world country that is easy for tourists go get into. You can lived cheaply in an expat community in Central America, without any immigration hassles. You get stamped in for 90 days, and ride the bus to the nearest border and back every three months to reenter -- it's called a "visa run". Fly back to the US once in a while for any medical treatment you might need on Medicare. In Guatemala, lots of expats are living on around $500 a month in the Antigua-Atitlan area.
Noooo! I didn't say "no money" I have money. I said, "very little money"

But I may look up that $500/mo deal in Antigua-Atitlan in Guatemala
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2018, 08:04 AM
 
329 posts, read 162,806 times
Reputation: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
More fact that myth. You can actually meet most of your criteria in Hawaii. Sorry, no nice lakes though.

Hawaii is well known as a welfare state, so all your medical is covered, home on a few acres is cheeeep.

Government assistance - housing,food,healthcare,transportation ect. is plentiful enough to live fairly equal to a 35,000/ income while relaxing in your home or at the beach.

It's only expensive for the tourists....someone has to pay
I've been to Oahu and it's beautiful. We had a small layover in Maui and I got a cab and went into the town, but it was night and I didn't see much. That said, if I had TONS of money I'd buy a second house there, or one of those small apartments in Honolulu where you don't own the land (I don't have any heirs).

But I'm a wanderer. I thought of that when I was there (Everywhere I used to travel I used to think, "Now - would I like to live here?") But I thought, and a friend from my old company who was transferred there for a few years concurred, that after a while I'd feel trapped, magnificent beauty and all - and long to get off the island by other methods than a plane or boat.

But that's interesting info, though. I never knew all that about the government assistance, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2018, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
10,464 posts, read 5,933,005 times
Reputation: 16165
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
But I'm a wanderer. I thought of that when I was there (Everywhere I used to travel I used to think, "Now - would I like to live here?") But I thought, and a friend from my old company who was transferred there for a few years concurred, that after a while I'd feel trapped, magnificent beauty and all - and long to get off the island by other methods than a plane or boat.
This is a great point and one I have considered as well. I happen to think the Caribbean (or places like Hawaii) with their clear blue water are the most beautiful places on Earth. But I just couldn't live there for just this reason.

We love taking trips, one advantage to living on the mainland is you can have beaches, mountains, small towns, big cities, etc all withing a day's drive. I want to be able to go to some place different by simply jumping in my car and going. You can't do that on an island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2018, 08:20 AM
 
329 posts, read 162,806 times
Reputation: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Perhaps a place I have heard of called fairy tale land. Not sure where it is but I am pretty sure that is where you want to go.
Fairy tale land. Am I spelling it right? I looked it up and can't find it on the map. Could you be more specific? What state/country? Thanks!

Actually, where I live now is not too bad. I live on a lake out in the woods, but it's close to the city and about 2-3 hours to the mountains, less than an hour to the ocean. The problem, well the first problem is I'm a wanderer. The second - and I'm sure I'm not alone among you CD-ers from the states, is that it's FREEZING right about now, and has been for far too long. Also, the real estate taxes are killing me, and it's an old house. It's fine but it needs modernizing and I don't have the bucks to get it to look the way I want it (and I am loathe to use the term "dream". I am beginning to hate that term, "dream house" .

I do a lot of the work myself and I enjoy it, but there's always something going wrong. Well, at least it's paid for. I go back and forth, have lists of pros and cons but paralyzed by fear. I'm too old to make huge mistakes at this stage of the game. One wrong move and I COULD be in a very bad spot. If I sell I probably wouldn't do too badly. Maybe it'll be the subject of my next post - given my specific circumstances and desires, what to do with the money if I DO sell. Stay tuned.

So I guess I am what I was complaining about above - a big, fat whiner!

But thanks to all who have replied; I've made some fine new 'friends' here. And I've learned a lot and had some fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2018, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Upper Left Hand Corner
2,573 posts, read 960,743 times
Reputation: 4194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist1968 View Post
Wow does anyone know where this is????
Because of the way that lady is dressed bottom center I was thinking India, or maybe Pakistan, or non of the above, lol. There is another lady to the right, and slightly above that who has her head covered next to a man, and two boys with her that may be muslim. But I honestly have no idea. Maybe ponytrekker will clue us in.

I just right clicked on the photo, and did a "save image as" like I was saving that photo to my computer, and the photo caption said Dharavi plus the # of the photo. Then I did a search for Dharavi, and came up with the following.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharavi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2018, 09:17 AM
 
Location: equator
3,451 posts, read 1,537,008 times
Reputation: 8582
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Puna, on the Big Island of Hawaii.
lovely weather, inexpensive land.

Yes, we almost bought there. You can hack a piece of the jungle out and build an affordable place for pretty cheap. Or there's HOVE, (Hawaiian Ocean View Estates) where you can live in a lava tube and see the distant ocean, though it's not accessible. Lots there were $7,000 a few years ago.


Everybody is on food stamps....but oh, the snorkeling is magnificent. Encounters with the gentle giant manta rays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2018, 09:54 AM
 
Location: On the road
5,959 posts, read 2,897,780 times
Reputation: 11407
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
In Guatemala, lots of expats are living on around $500 a month in the Antigua-Atitlan area.
Come on man, really? I'm fairly skeptical that many people would be comfortable on a $500/month income in Antigua. I'd love to see the budget breakdown there, even the folks who live out in Cuidad Vieja would be slumming it on $500/month. Antigua has a lot going for it for expats but it is one of the more expensive places in Guatemala.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2018, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Northern California
436 posts, read 195,683 times
Reputation: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Because of the way that lady is dressed bottom center I was thinking India, or maybe Pakistan, or non of the above, lol. There is another lady to the right, and slightly above that who has her head covered next to a man, and two boys with her that may be muslim. But I honestly have no idea. Maybe ponytrekker will clue us in.

I just right clicked on the photo, and did a "save image as" like I was saving that photo to my computer, and the photo caption said Dharavi plus the # of the photo. Then I did a search for Dharavi, and came up with the following.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharavi
thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2018, 01:19 PM
 
416 posts, read 202,054 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
I've been to Oahu and it's beautiful. We had a small layover in Maui and I got a cab and went into the town, but it was night and I didn't see much. That said, if I had TONS of money I'd buy a second house there, or one of those small apartments in Honolulu where you don't own the land (I don't have any heirs).

But I'm a wanderer. I thought of that when I was there (Everywhere I used to travel I used to think, "Now - would I like to live here?") But I thought, and a friend from my old company who was transferred there for a few years concurred, that after a while I'd feel trapped, magnificent beauty and all - and long to get off the island by other methods than a plane or boat.

But that's interesting info, though. I never knew all that about the government assistance, etc.
You and DaveinMtAiry, are absolutely correct. It's been a great run here. I 1st arrived 30 yrs ago. 1988. Have bounced back and forth off the mainland a few times and am now in my longest run here..9 yrs. After looping the island a few 100 times it's about as exciting as walking to your garage. Plane trips become a hateful thought. That said, I would highly recommend it to anyone with the desire to try, just have a ticket back if you come.

I'm a wanderer also, but figured I better try to set some roots, so I rode it out almost a decade. Not island fever as some get, for me it's still wanderlust. Mainland may not have the same climate and beauty, but it has many other climates and beauties. I love getting in the car and going and seeing something different.

That's not going to happen in Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top