U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 05:56 AM

2,558 posts, read 955,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misnomed View Post
Parts of cheaper Colorado are FAR from charming for a female alone. Is kind of the dirty secret.
Trendy Colorado has "cheaper parts"? (sarcasm alert) Yes, there are some dangerous places like the hood in NE Denver, as that's where I heard my first drive by shooting. But the rent WAS cheaper there, lol. It was a cute apartment too, but not worth it. SE Colorado Springs is not a good area either. There are others. My time in Colorado 1979-2014.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 06:12 AM

5,937 posts, read 2,888,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
But once you knew the ropes in Antigua, you could rent an apartment for a couple hundred, and after simple market food, what else do you need?
Basic apartments in town start at $300, add another $50 for fun stuff like utilities and internet. Very few people are going to be happy eating cheapo market food for years, especially when other expats that he might socialize with are going to bars and restaurants. Sorry guys you go ahead, I'm having tortillas and potatoes from a styrofoam container again with a nice cup of clay pot filtered water.

One has to budget for visa runs every three months to Mexico or Belize, medical insurance and cash for medical issues that might come up, and yes people need some extra money to be able to do things. Even catching the camionetas and staying in hostels adds up. What about going back to the US to see relatives? With a $500/month budgets that has zero slack you're basically saying you will never travel back to US for anything.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:27 PM

329 posts, read 162,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
I can dig that idea as well!

But some people say that that would be a grave decision on her part.

I know that she's just dying to go there.

But I hear it ain't so cheap. She'll have to be coffin up alot of money (oops, I meant "coughin' up").

Some of you aren't laughing at these lines. C'mon, don't be so stiff!

I know! I know! . . . I ought to be stoned for these lines!

People keep telling me I should be locked up in a punitentiary . . . where I should be severely punished!
BWAHAHAHAHA! So clever and funny! Thanks!

Old 01-08-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Lots of cheap apartments in Santa Fe.
Really? That's interesting. I would have thought apartments in Santa Fe would be very expensive. Learn something new every day

Old 01-08-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I used to enjoy browsing the places for rent in Santa Fe on craigslist. It was fun to look at the photos for the cute little casitas, and the rest of them too. Good daydreaming material. If I can't actually go anywhere at least a virtual tour is the next best thing . But I wouldn't really call them "cheap".

https://santafe.craigslist.org/

----------------------
I love the virtual tours. I subscribe to several threads on Zillow. I actually like to see how people decorate their homes and see the different neighborhoods (I really do need a life). Maybe I'm a bit of a voyeur Most of them are beautiful, but a few I want to ask, "Didn't you know the lady with the camera was coming today?" I mean it's one thing to have your house in ship shape for company; they can Sh*t in a hat if they don't like it, but it's another thing when you're trying to sell your house!

Old 01-08-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Basic apartments in town start at $300, add another $50 for fun stuff like utilities and internet. Very few people are going to be happy eating cheapo market food for years, especially when other expats that he might socialize with are going to bars and restaurants. Sorry guys you go ahead, I'm having tortillas and potatoes from a styrofoam container again with a nice cup of clay pot filtered water.

One has to budget for visa runs every three months to Mexico or Belize, medical insurance and cash for medical issues that might come up, and yes people need some extra money to be able to do things. Even catching the camionetas and staying in hostels adds up. What about going back to the US to see relatives? With a $500/month budgets that has zero slack you're basically saying you will never travel back to US for anything.
Interesting. When I lived in Cheyenne, WY back in the early 2000's a basic apartment cost about $300. I was shocked. I think they say housing is supposed to be 35% of your income. I used to watch that show, "Til Dept Do Us Part" and some others like that on Amazon Prime. So unless you're sharing the rent, you can't pay $300 for an apartment by yourself if you're only taking in $500. I know I squeaked by paying almost all my income to try and avoid the tax sale for my mother's property after she had moved to Assisted Living and owed a bunch and it ain't pretty. As a matter of fact it's the surest way to the nuthouse. But it's over now, it's paid up.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:53 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,925,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
OMG I LOVE Caravan Carolyn! I found CheapRVLiving this year and have been following a bunch of those nomads on YouTube.
I was thinking the same about cheap RV living. I'm delighted to hear you have already been watching it. I'd like to do this when I am in my retirement years.

I hope you can find a reasonably cheap place to live, good luck. The only places that come to mind are rural Kentucky or Tennessee, where the weather is quite hot in the summer, but snow is seldom enough that you won't get sick of it.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
I was thinking the same about cheap RV living. I'm delighted to hear you have already been watching it. I'd like to do this when I am in my retirement years.

I hope you can find a reasonably cheap place to live, good luck. The only places that come to mind are rural Kentucky or Tennessee, where the weather is quite hot in the summer, but snow is seldom enough that you won't get sick of it.
Thanks, maus. Yep, I'm leaving that option open so I am learning as much as I can about it. Also, I'm subscribed to the Johnson City and Kingsport areas on Zillow so I keep up with the inventory in my mailbox every day. I remember driving through there (on my way to LA as a matter of fact, where I lived for a year in the '90's) and liking what I saw, and it's definitely affordable. Some people say that if you're not from around there, it's hard to fit in. They say that about Rhode Islanders also, but it's not as bad as you'd think. (We're a nice, friendly bunch!) Also, the Berea area in KY is very nice. A bit more expensive than Tennessee. Those areas in TN are really affordable and nice. Very low property taxes, which are killing me here. If I didn't have owner-occupied (or whatever they call it; meaning I'm living there on my property) and a couple of other exemptions, I don't know WHAT I'd do about keeping my house. It's expensive as it is, but I'm a pretty good economizer.

PS: RTR starts tomorrow! Thanks for writing in!

Old 01-13-2018, 02:35 AM

22 posts, read 13,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post

"Cheap RV living" is organizing Rubber Tramp Rendezvous RTR @AZ 2018 for RVers. The event started on 11 Jan and ends on 21 Jan. You can learn about RV living at the event or through youtube vlogs about RTR.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:05 AM

Thanks, stephenngks!

I actually stumbled on this and Bob Wells through the "Without Bound" documentary on YouTube. What luck! I freeze-framed the address from the movie and looked up CheapRvLiving. From there I found the forum and many of the YouTube channels. It's such great information, so thanks! I'm hearing that the RTR this year is going to be huge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or