U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 08:07 AM

329 posts, read 162,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenngks View Post
"Cheap RV living" is organizing Rubber Tramp Rendezvous RTR @AZ 2018 for RVers. The event started on 11 Jan and ends on 21 Jan. You can learn about RV living at the event or through youtube vlogs about RTR.
Thanks, stephenngks!

I actually stumbled on this and Bob Wells through the "Without Bound" documentary on YouTube. What luck! I freeze-framed the address from the movie and looked up CheapRvLiving. From there I found the forum and many of the YouTube channels. It's such great information, so thanks! I'm hearing that the RTR this year is going to be huge!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 03:14 AM

22 posts, read 13,794 times
No problem. Youtube has more visitors than CD, easily 500 - 1000 comments per topic.
Heard that RTR has got 2500 to 3000 attendees this year. Unforturnately I couldn't be there.

Last edited by stephenngks; 01-14-2018 at 03:26 AM..

Old 01-14-2018, 06:01 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,200,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenngks View Post
"Cheap RV living" is organizing Rubber Tramp Rendezvous RTR @AZ 2018 for RVers. The event started on 11 Jan and ends on 21 Jan. You can learn about RV living at the event or through youtube vlogs about RTR.
I follow a lot of those YTers and see the RTR experience is it looks like a gigantic gaggle of RVers in the desert - 1,000's of them. Not sure what exactly the draw is. Most of the people come across as unconventional people who've decided to live off the grid. I know the leader is a little off his rocker (anti-gov't rants in some of his vids). I sure hope nothing bad comes out of the gathering.....as I said, some of them are off their rockers.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:54 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,200,766 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuqS_FoCyrQ

Old 01-14-2018, 07:18 AM

87 posts, read 83,674 times
Zillow threads? Where? I don't see them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
I love the virtual tours. I subscribe to several threads on Zillow. I actually like to see how people decorate their homes and see the different neighborhoods (I really do need a life). Maybe I'm a bit of a voyeur Most of them are beautiful, but a few I want to ask, "Didn't you know the lady with the camera was coming today?" I mean it's one thing to have your house in ship shape for company; they can Sh*t in a hat if they don't like it, but it's another thing when you're trying to sell your house!

Old 01-14-2018, 08:14 AM

2,542 posts, read 951,915 times
I had started a thread over on the Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness forum about a lady living in her car on $800 SS. The link is below. I had never heard of the RTR, or any of that, but learned about it on that thread, very interesting. There are many of us older folks who worked hard in the past, but ended up trying to live on low SS. The waiting lists for senior subsidized housing in some places can be years to get in. And what do you do in the meantime while you are waiting, and maybe can't work because of being blindsided by health issues.

I've had 24/7 body wide pain for 21 yrs, it is relentless. I'll be 70 this March. My daughter is very angry with me because I don't go out, and find a job. She yelled at me for a good hour last night about how awful I am. Listening to her I must be a terrible person. I had lost the family van in the divorce, and it's hard to get around. She says she doesn't care if it kills her that she will do whatever it takes to not live in poverty. I told her to get back with me in 20 yrs, if I'm alive, and tell me how her prideful plan is working out for her. She also believes I can just go to a doctor, take a pill, and be like new??? Everything is my fault.

I do pay rent, and pay it 2 weeks early every time, and buy my own food. Anyway, I'm trying to make plans to move away from her constant hostility. It's not helping my illness any. So yesterday I took my little share from selling the modest house of my ex husband, and I, and bought a white 2004 Chevy 1500 cargo van that I can live in If I need to. I've never named a vehicle before, but she is now named Lily. After I had named her I found out she was used to deliver flowers, lol. So Lily was appropriate. Now I have to find a place to move to.

Lady living in car on $800 a month SS

Here is another lady I'm following too, Debrajoy.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM_...uSzOezQ/videos

-------------------------------------------------

Old 01-15-2018, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomojo View Post
Zillow threads? Where? I don't see them!
cocomojo, sorry if the thread I was alluding to was confusing. But you have to go to Zillow, then search for an area you are interested in. (In my case sometimes I am just interested in seeing the architecture and home designs of a certain area, and sometimes the actual market and trends.) You can get more specific with your requests, such as price, type of property, etc. - or not. Then just save your search (you have to sign up with Zillow - but they don't bombard your inbox so it's fine with me) You will receive updates in your inbox.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:41 AM

Default Congratulations on Lily!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I had started a thread over on the Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness forum about a lady living in her car on $800 SS. The link is below. I had never heard of the RTR, or any of that, but learned about it on that thread, very interesting. There are many of us older folks who worked hard in the past, but ended up trying to live on low SS. The waiting lists for senior subsidized housing in some places can be years to get in. And what do you do in the meantime while you are waiting, and maybe can't work because of being blindsided by health issues.

I've had 24/7 body wide pain for 21 yrs, it is relentless. I'll be 70 this March. My daughter is very angry with me because I don't go out, and find a job. She yelled at me for a good hour last night about how awful I am. Listening to her I must be a terrible person. I had lost the family van in the divorce, and it's hard to get around. She says she doesn't care if it kills her that she will do whatever it takes to not live in poverty. I told her to get back with me in 20 yrs, if I'm alive, and tell me how her prideful plan is working out for her. She also believes I can just go to a doctor, take a pill, and be like new??? Everything is my fault.

I do pay rent, and pay it 2 weeks early every time, and buy my own food. Anyway, I'm trying to make plans to move away from her constant hostility. It's not helping my illness any. So yesterday I took my little share from selling the modest house of my ex husband, and I, and bought a white 2004 Chevy 1500 cargo van that I can live in If I need to. I've never named a vehicle before, but she is now named Lily. After I had named her I found out she was used to deliver flowers, lol. So Lily was appropriate. Now I have to find a place to move to.

Lady living in car on $800 a month SS

Here is another lady I'm following too, Debrajoy.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM_...uSzOezQ/videos

-------------------------------------------------
HELLO LILY!

GOOD FOR YOU! I'm so happy for you! I don't know your daughter or what she's got going on but all I can say is, let her walk a mile in your shoes. It's really a tough thing to judge anybody who is just trying to get by in life, but another whole thing to judge your own mother. I hope you two can come to an understanding is all I will say.

And yep, I saw the interview with that lady in the minivan. That's a little small for me (I think) but you gotta do what you gotta do. There's TONS of people on Bob's channel who have them and are very happy, though. And I love debrajoy - she's such a good storyteller even if you don't want to live that kind of life, and very inspiring because of all the hurdles she's been through in life, also. And my 'friend' Kelly Doyle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8z_El2k0uM&t=169s and a few others have TBI and are living in their minivans.

Anyway, yep it's not easy. At one point I was living on $250 a month (there's an interview on Bob's channel with a lady who had to pay back some stuff which left her with $250/month and was living in her minivan - let me see if I can remember her name) but that happened to me at one point in my life (long story, I was paying back my mother's house taxes, etc) and I know what "I" went through. It's definitely not easy. I still have my house and it's paid for but there's always something going wrong. I'm thinking of getting a 'rig' and trying out the lifestyle myself. Oh, here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1MK...O6JM0z9EqCpY7y

Oh, and if you do go, I'm sure you've seen Jamie's Van Build party (Enigmatic Nomadics)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttUm...DKYiOy_Ruwhere they help people (newbies) with their rigs for free, and there's plenty of advice on Bob's website and YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQpQ3Vwim9s

Anyway, I think you are being very resourceful. I've subscribed to your thread and the "Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness" thread in general.

Last edited by bbtm100912; 01-16-2018 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: Add another link

Old 01-18-2018, 11:05 AM

2,542 posts, read 951,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
HELLO LILY!

GOOD FOR YOU! I'm so happy for you! I don't know your daughter or what she's got going on but all I can say is, let her walk a mile in your shoes. It's really a tough thing to judge anybody who is just trying to get by in life, but another whole thing to judge your own mother. I hope you two can come to an understanding is all I will say.

And yep, I saw the interview with that lady in the minivan. That's a little small for me (I think) but you gotta do what you gotta do. There's TONS of people on Bob's channel who have them and are very happy, though. And I love debrajoy - she's such a good storyteller even if you don't want to live that kind of life, and very inspiring because of all the hurdles she's been through in life, also. And my 'friend' Kelly Doyle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8z_El2k0uM&t=169s and a few others have TBI and are living in their minivans.

Anyway, yep it's not easy. At one point I was living on $250 a month (there's an interview on Bob's channel with a lady who had to pay back some stuff which left her with $250/month and was living in her minivan - let me see if I can remember her name) but that happened to me at one point in my life (long story, I was paying back my mother's house taxes, etc) and I know what "I" went through. It's definitely not easy. I still have my house and it's paid for but there's always something going wrong. I'm thinking of getting a 'rig' and trying out the lifestyle myself. Oh, here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1MK...O6JM0z9EqCpY7y

Oh, and if you do go, I'm sure you've seen Jamie's Van Build party (Enigmatic Nomadics)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttUm...DKYiOy_Ruwhere they help people (newbies) with their rigs for free, and there's plenty of advice on Bob's website and YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQpQ3Vwim9s

Anyway, I think you are being very resourceful. I've subscribed to your thread and the "Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness" thread in general.
Thank you so much for your wonderfully encouraging post, and your links . They look very interesting. I hope to finally watch a bunch of videos tonight if I don't get sidetracked again. I'm subscribed to Bob's channel too, but only now have started studying it. I've watched his two videos on insulating a cargo van. I'll have to watch them again, and take notes this time for the stuff I will need. He is just wonderful, and easy to understand. He said to at least do the roof/ceiling, so if I can get that done I'll be thrilled. It's been too cold for doing that, and we got a bunch of snow yesterday. But we have a warmup on the way so I can't put it off much longer, lol.

The first one is mostly talking about the process, and the second one is the actual process. In the comments after the first video I asked a question about insulating the floor (Perseverance13), and Bob very kindly answered. It was so nice of him to take the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVk8csC6OiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZqAJcRhffo

DD has been a little easier on me since she knows I'm trying to leave. I was trying before, but now it's more real. Wonderful to know that my absence makes people happy . I found some senior housing in eastern Oregon that I'm applying to. If I can get my application faxed today I'll be #1 on the waiting list after somebody else who is ahead of me gets the one open apartment. They are very cute, and in a small town. Passing through eastern Oregon on the way out here I stopped the night in Baker City, and wanted to stay. I was emotionally exhausted. That isn't the small town I'll be in though.

Yeah Debra Joy is cute. I got the idea of naming my van from her, and Tank, her old van. She sold Tank, as you probably know, and got a minivan. But she still misses him, and the extra room. But the mpg he got was not so good. Neither is mine, 15/18. Minivans are not all that much better. But at least I can fit my junk in the van to move. And maybe sleep in it instead of a motel along the way. $100 a night average is too much money to spend that I don't really have.

Your living on nothing story was enough to cause anxiety nightmares for sure. But you got it done, and it's all in the past now. But you know how to do it if you have to again . Yeah houses are such money pits even if they are in good shape. But then vehicles need expensive maintenance which I'm concerned about. Will have to start a savings for that.

No, I've not watched any of those. So it will be a cram fest when I do, lol. Thanks for sending them . I don't know how resourceful I really am . Have been waking up at night with anxiety a few times. I need to learn about those Mr Heaters that Bob recommends so I don't blow myself up with the propane , God forbid. Take care. Hugs

Old 02-01-2018, 10:22 PM

22 posts, read 13,794 times
The NYT reports on the RTR event:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/31/s...s-vanlife.html

"Real Burning Man....nomads...An Introvert Convention....Free Tea Party...retirement-age women...."

On separate note, the nomad is like Moses living in the wilderness, the desert of Midian, before leading the oppressed people into the promised land. He learned about finding water, sleeping arrangements, wildlife, plantlife, you name it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or