U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 03:22 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,244,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
My goodness I never dreamed this thread would still be active. But I really appreciate all of the comments. I wrote the post at the time meaning for it to be tongue and cheek, but I actually found many of the replies interesting and informative so thank you all!
Millions of older Americans are trying to find the best place to live/retire ----and make the best of their the last chapters of their lives with very little income. Yours was tongue in cheek but others will hopefully use the information. I tell you, as someone who does a lot of camping throughout the USA, I see them full-timing in dilapidated RVs/vehicles all the time - nomads. But they seem happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 10:25 AM

329 posts, read 163,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Millions of older Americans are trying to find the best place to live/retire ----and make the best of their the last chapters of their lives with very little income. Yours was tongue in cheek but others will hopefully use the information. I tell you, as someone who does a lot of camping throughout the USA, I see them full-timing in dilapidated RVs/vehicles all the time - nomads. But they seem happy.
I understand, I really do. And I've become friendly with many of them from watching their YouTube posts. Most of them say it's the best thing that ever happened to them and wish they'd done it sooner. My only trepidation is what will happen down the road (no pun intended) when their health starts to fail. Otherwise I'd probably sell my house and do it myself.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:52 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,569,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Person in Charge View Post
With the welfare state that we live in, it isn't hard for poor old people who no longer work.

There are the subsidized senior apartments where you only pay 1/3 of your income for rent and utilities. Then there are the food stamps, the social security, the Medicare (or Medicaid if you are poor enough), the heavily discounted public transportation, etc.

Just pick somewhere you like and move there.
Not as simple as that....

I got into a subsidized apartment in California before moving to my house which with family help was purchased. It wouldn't even be a decent down for Califorina to hold the apartment. There's costs which aren't money, but never ignore cost of living. Once you get in the place, can you afford food and transportation and general costs.

And those subsidized places for the 1/3....first, establish residency in the area. Most are county run. They put you on the waiting list after you stay so long. But you don't get help UNTIL approval so bring some cash.

Food stamps and Medicaid are county programs too. You can't just apply until you establish you live there. But if you had them before when you move you can have it transfered sometimes.

And if its a 'prime spot', figure on making due for some time as there is always a waiting list. IF you have medical reasons you *need* with doctors agreement a safe and established home, they can move you closer. If there is no doctor, then you wait until the list gets to you.

So, if this is your plan, then call and check with people who work with the system first, and see how long you might expect to wait, and how your going to manage until then. And you do take medicare with you, but as if you qualify for medicade filling in the empty space by being a resident, and applying and waiting and so on, it may end up costing a LOT more than you thought without it.

Before you choose to move, remember... Research, research and ask questions, and then ask someone else and keep researching. Assume NOTHING
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or