Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 12:29 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Haha, I know this is tongue in cheek, anyone taking it serious, yep the van
It reminded me of the House Hunters I see on HGTV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 12:39 PM

401 posts, read 331,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It reminded me of the House Hunters I see on HGTV.
Oh yeah! That show used to crack me up. There'd always be one sh*thole, one nice little house, and one 'dreamhouse' that they couldn't afford. Invariably they'd chose the 'dreamhouse' that they couldn't afford. I used to SMDH and laugh.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:44 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
Hi. I'll be 60 years old this year and ready to retire. I am a single female. I have very little money. Here's what I want.

Beautiful lakes, mountains and a beautiful view .....
(If you can't think of anything I might buy a van and just go where the mood takes me)
Are you sure that you could afford a van and have enough money left over for gas?

I'd suggest to put whatever little money that you have in a good HDTV antenna and a nice big 3D HDTV (2D is ok if that's all that you could afford).

If you don't get good travel channels from your HDTV antenna, you will have to bite the bullet to get high speed internet connection. Roku box is cheap and there are tons of free travel channels. You can have all the lakes, oceans, mountains views that you want ;-)

Oh, don't forget to stock up on green teas, grapefruit, blueberries extract, Vit D, Glucosamine, CoQ10 and whatever supplements that you could afford to stay strong, healthy and good looking. No need to worry about health care cost.

...and why worry about the transportation cost when you get everything that you need or want right from your living room and the kitchen/fridge ;-)

Oops, I forget about having Amazon Prime membership to have everything shipped to your door. You can get free shipping from Walmart too if your order is more than $35.

Someone mentioned about a cabana boy. If a virtual stud is not satisfying, get a dog. He can lick your toes, massage your lap with his paws and fetch your slippers ;-)

Old 01-02-2018, 12:54 PM

30,516 posts, read 16,213,477 times
Quote:
Hi. I'll be 60 years old this year and ready to retire. I am a single female. I have very little money. Here's what I want.

Beautiful lakes, mountains and a beautiful view
Low or no taxes
A nice house on lots of land (and maybe a second place in the city so I won't feel so alone)
A nice climate - meaning it only rains when I'm in the mood for a good afternoon storm and then it goes away. It only snows when I'm sick of looking at the naked ground and want a winter wonderland, then it goes away when I want it to. It only gets hot when I feel like going for a swim. It only gets cold when I'm sick of the heat
Maybe we could get some ocean with the lakes and the mountains
A nice community but I want them to go away when I want some solitude
Not a lot of traffic but when I want company I want to be close to things to do and people to see
Great health care but no deductibles from my insurance. I also want to be close to the finest hospitals.
Good public transit. Maybe they could pick me up at my house and take me where I want to go.

I have seen many threads like this and people have great advice about where to move. Please help me find my paradise

(If you can't think of anything I might buy a van and just go where the mood takes me)

just run for president. If elected, problem solved.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:59 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
OMG I LOVE Caravan Carolyn! I found CheapRVLiving this year and have been following a bunch of those nomads on YouTube.
I belong to the forum and am weighing retiring to full-time RVing on a very tight budget, RVing something I have wanted to do since I lived in Tucson and learned about it in 1990. Trying to weigh in on areas and what they will be like when I am REALLY old is difficult. I see so many older people trapped in a neighborhood/city that was nice 30 years ago, but is horrible now.

Have you also watched "Without Bound"? It really "speaks" to what so many people are now facing and just maybe a solution. Also, about as close, at least in my mind, as one can get to being "free".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Lg37Cbx-kak

Old 01-02-2018, 01:06 PM

279 posts, read 486,079 times
This thread is my absolute favorite today, LOL.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:13 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
The cemetery?
OR......

Old 01-02-2018, 01:17 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I belong to the forum and am weighing retiring to full-time RVing on a very tight budget, RVing something I have wanted to do since I lived in Tucson and learned about it in 1990. Trying to weigh in on areas and what they will be like when I am REALLY old is difficult. I see so many older people trapped in a neighborhood/city that was nice 30 years ago, but is horrible now.

Have you also watched "Without Bound"? It really "speaks" to what so many people are now facing and just maybe a solution. Also, about as close, at least in my mind, as one can get to being "free".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Lg37Cbx-kak
The RV lifestyle sounds great but there are a lot of cost involved if you want to be a full timer. I think the videos show the glamourous side of it but there are downsides too.

I have a small RV and I am still working but have gone on long excursions which have been fun. I was always glad to get home to a large dwelling. My future plan when I retire is to still do RV trips but maintain a home and perhaps rent a condo south for the winter.

The idea of selling everything and living in an RV full time just doesn't appeal to me. Of course everyone is different. My advice to anyone would be to rent an RV and see how you like it.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Roku box is cheap and there are tons of free travel channels. You can have all the lakes, oceans, mountains views that you want ;-)
Speaking of men (see below) even cheaper is the little Google Man I just plop down on the map someplace, and let him drive and I get to see all the scenery!

Quote:
stay strong, healthy and good looking. No need to worry about health care cost.
Oh, don't you worry about me! I intend to stay strong, healthy and good looking for a LONG time to come!

Quote:
Oops, I forget about having Amazon Prime membership to have everything shipped to your door. You can get free shipping from Walmart too if your order is more than $35.
Done! I have Prime and have had merchandise sent to my home from both places.

Quote:
Someone mentioned about a cabana boy.
Who mentioned a cabana boy? You would have thought I would have noticed something like that!

Old 01-02-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
The RV lifestyle sounds great but there are a lot of cost involved if you want to be a full timer. I think the videos show the glamourous side of it but there are downsides too.

I have a small RV and I am still working but have gone on long excursions which have been fun. I was always glad to get home to a large dwelling. My future plan when I retire is to still do RV trips but maintain a home and perhaps rent a condo south for the winter.

The idea of selling everything and living in an RV full time just doesn't appeal to me. Of course everyone is different. My advice to anyone would be to rent an RV and see how you like it.
OMG That is where I stumbled upon all this stuff this year. I watched it once and the idea kind of rolled around in my head, but then I watched it again a few months ago. I copied down Bob's site from the video and then found the YouTube channels from there.

I don't know if it sounds glamorous, but it appeals to me in a way. On the other hand I'm "askared". I've moved from place to place during my lifetime and always lost money on the deal. I'm getting too old to take another financial hit like that. I've always been sort of a nomad but then again I am finally getting my home just the way I want it. There are so many plusses and minuses to be weighed. I have a few years and don't want to do anything rash.

I will take your advice and do exactly as you said before I even THINK of proceeding any further when the time comes. I may rent an RV or even a small van from UHaul and just go away for the weekend, trying to wrap my head around the space problems and all the other things that go with it.

Anyway, thanks for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement