U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2018, 10:42 AM

2,917 posts, read 1,591,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
Yep, I live in RI where pot is (I think) legal. But I don't smoke. My post was conjured completely without aid of any mind-altering substances.

And maybe I shouldn't have used satire on here. I know that people do have serious questions, and I've gotten lots of help recently with some plumbing questions. But my wishes DO look similar to the threads I see just about EVERY DAY on here. I think the OP's on those thread are, indeed serious and I just wanted to share what it looked like through my eyes of these wish lists. So I'll keep living in my own little imaginary paradise with my own imaginary toking material.

I'm glad some of you enjoyed reading through this. I meant no harm.
Tip: if you are making a point with dry or ironic humor on the interwebs it helps to use a smiley/emoji since people can't see your face or hear the tone of voice to determine your intent. I confess your original post was a head scratcher for me, no problem tho.

There is a very similar one in the travel forum but where the OP was serious in intent but was so general & vague & left so much info out that most of the replies trying to help mentioned this & the OP got miffed. Plus humor varies region to region, generation to generation.

And I'm waiting for NY to catch up with RI in some things...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 10:53 AM

329 posts, read 162,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Tip: if you are making a point with dry or ironic humor on the interwebs it helps to use a smiley/emoji since people can't see your face or hear the tone of voice to determine your intent. I confess your original post was a head scratcher for me, no problem tho.

There is a very similar one in the travel forum but where the OP was serious in intent but was so general & vague & left so much info out that most of the replies trying to help mentioned this & the OP got miffed. Plus humor varies region to region, generation to generation.

And I'm waiting for NY to catch up with RI in some things...
I know, I hear ya. I should have used the smiley's.

PS: I never get miffed, even when I got scolded. I just figure I had it coming and try to see it from the other person's point of view.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:15 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,225,826 times
I vote for the VAN

Old 01-03-2018, 11:20 AM

4,276 posts, read 7,152,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
This question has been asked already and there are two cities that meet the criteria. Shangri-La and Utopia.
And unfortunately Ike re-named Shangri-La "Camp David" and I'm thinking OP might not be welcome squatting there. I could be wrong.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:29 AM

329 posts, read 162,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
And unfortunately Ike re-named Shangri-La "Camp David" and I'm thinking OP might not be welcome squatting there. I could be wrong.
Oh no! Tell me it ain't so!

Old 01-03-2018, 04:46 PM

7,371 posts, read 3,047,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
Hi. I'll be 60 years old this year and ready to retire. I am a single female. I have very little money. Here's what I want.

Beautiful lakes, mountains and a beautiful view
Low or no taxes
A nice house on lots of land (and maybe a second place in the city so I won't feel so alone)
A nice climate - meaning it only rains when I'm in the mood for a good afternoon storm and then it goes away. It only snows when I'm sick of looking at the naked ground and want a winter wonderland, then it goes away when I want it to. It only gets hot when I feel like going for a swim. It only gets cold when I'm sick of the heat
Maybe we could get some ocean with the lakes and the mountains
A nice community but I want them to go away when I want some solitude
Not a lot of traffic but when I want company I want to be close to things to do and people to see
Great health care but no deductibles from my insurance. I also want to be close to the finest hospitals.
Good public transit. Maybe they could pick me up at my house and take me where I want to go.

I have seen many threads like this and people have great advice about where to move. Please help me find my paradise

(If you can't think of anything I might buy a van and just go where the mood takes me)
Seattle. If things don't work out you can hang out in Victor Steinbrueck Park, and inhale the smoke!

Old 01-03-2018, 06:07 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,737,235 times
A tent in a campground that features mountains and lakes.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:09 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,894,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Willoughby...next stop Willoughby.
On the heals of ScyFy's New Year's marathon.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:21 PM

380 posts, read 227,524 times
In the Twilight Zone or find a dumb rich old man to take advantage of.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:48 AM

5,163 posts, read 2,783,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laowai View Post
... down by the river?

[vimeo]183597042[/vimeo]
[vimeo]183597042[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/183597042

Crap! You beat me to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or