Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 01:05 AM

23,206 posts, read 29,014,764 times

Advertisements

I'll never forget a story I read of a 106YO woman, interviewed, who supposedly slept a lot during her years, as much as 14 hours a day, and she attributed that to her longevity. I won't argue that sleep is very healing to the body, but 14 hours?

I'm trying successfully to up my sleeping hours from 8-10, but don't know if I'll even get it up to 12 hours, but I'm trying. Of course, I cheat, with 5 milligrams of Melatonin and 50mg. of Diphenhydramine.

Lots of extra "movies" to watch at night, as dreams are nothing more than movies to watch, but with no control over the actors or directors.

I had a roommate one time who slept 12 hours a night. I had never met anyone that slept that long at night, so for the first few weeks, I'd open his bedroom door to peak, wondering if he was still alive.

How about you? Catching up on some sleep these days, or are the go-go'ers, do-do'er's, restless types telling you it would be more healthy to get out there and go-go-go and do-do-do more?

Last edited by tijlover; 04-19-2018 at 01:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 01:12 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,816,376 times
Sort of. I generally stay up until 11-12 (it is just how I am wired, going to bed earlier just means tossing annd turning until then anyway), but wake up around 5 am. In the last couple years, I have been able to sleep in until 7 or 8.

It feels like an incredible luxury, those extra couple hours of sleep. Now I feel cranky if I don't get that extra sleep.

Still haven't been able to learn to nap, though, if it is mid-day and I am asleep, then I am sick.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 04-19-2018, 02:26 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,149 times
When I was working (2 -3 jobs all my life!) when I could, I'd sleep 12 hours a night! Then, when I retired from the university, I crashed; slept 16+ hours a night for a few months!

Now, totally retired, I sleep maybe 4 - 5 hours a night and at least once a week, skip at least one night and don't sleep at all. I don't fight it - if I'm not tired, why sleep??? My sleep doctor says when we get old, our sleep just falls apart. I have a sleep disorder so sleep isn't fun anyway: nightmares and weird stuff.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:05 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times
Just like my work days, early to bed, early rise. Just like my farmer grandfather. I'm a morning person and have always been - my sleep hasn't changed 9 yrs into retirement.

But after exercising most every day, I try to get in a power nap mid afternoon - really look forward to that. Sure wish I had one of those every day when I was a worker.....

Old 04-19-2018, 04:26 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,596,028 times
Ask most postmenopausal women this question and they'll answer that they just can't sleep 8 hrs straight anymore.

For me, I'm lucky if I make it 3 hrs in a row.

Boy, do I miss estrogen.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:27 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,204,551 times
I get about 6-7 hours sleep at night, retiring between ten and eleven, and invariably awake before daylight and the first birdsong. Most afternoons I fall asleep for a while in my chair, or lie down for a nap.

Generally, I fall asleep immediately and sleep like a rock, but now, at 79, I get up to pee if I wake in the night, maybe about half the time. But every once in a while, maybe every year, I suddenly get jetlag without lelaving home, for a couple weeks, I can't sleep at night nor stay awake in the daytime, and have lucid dreams, which I enjoy.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:24 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,070 times
I feel decent if I can sleep 7 hours or so a night. The studies I have seen show most people do well with 8 hours but struggle to get that many.

Now for the person who slept 14 hours. That means she was awake for 10 hours a day instead of a more typical 18 hours. Although she lived to 106, she was only awake as much as someone who lived to 60. Poor woman lost a lot of her expected lifespan.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:27 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
When I was working (2 -3 jobs all my life!) when I could, I'd sleep 12 hours a night! Then, when I retired from the university, I crashed; slept 16+ hours a night for a few months!

Now, totally retired, I sleep maybe 4 - 5 hours a night and at least once a week, skip at least one night and don't sleep at all. I don't fight it - if I'm not tired, why sleep??? My sleep doctor says when we get old, our sleep just falls apart. I have a sleep disorder so sleep isn't fun anyway: nightmares and weird stuff.
Would you give a few more details LDG? My bf has terrible sleep and while some may be untreated sleep apnea a lot has to do with vivid dreams he has every night that wake him up. Does your condition have a name? And how did you find your doctor?

Old 04-19-2018, 05:34 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,042,372 times
My main difference is that my late DH was an early riser and wanted me up the same time as him. Now I can sleep in as late as I want. I usually go to bed about 9 and read for an hour or so. Wake up around 6-7.

If I have been active during the day, I usually can get to sleep well. If I haven't, it can take hours to really get to sleep. I think I am sleeping/waking rather than lying there completely awake. About 1/3 of a 10mg valium helps on nights like that.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:13 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
On my own, I'm a 12-1 to 9-10 person. My current job is the first one that I've had in years where I've had to be in at 8. Being able to sleep until a little after 8 is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement