U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 06:21 PM

220 posts, read 148,005 times

Advertisements

I'm not so sure that young people today will have it better than those who are currently in retirement. A big thing that comes to mind is pensions. They barely exist and if they do they don't payout very much. And who knows what will happen with SS.

Technology is overall helping us more than it is hurting. But it still hurts. I didn't think of the social implications (i.e. cell phones, social media, cyber bullying, etc.). Thanks for bringing that up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 06:28 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,454,205 times
The basic question from the OP is 'do you care these days about what will be happening in society after you are dead?'

And perhaps, 'have you given up on caring these days what is or will be happening in society, since you are closer to death than not?'

Old 01-03-2018, 07:24 PM

3,558 posts, read 6,211,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
The basic question from the OP is 'do you care these days about what will be happening in society after you are dead?'

And perhaps, 'have you given up on caring these days what is or will be happening in society, since you are closer to death than not?'
Yes that was the question. my first thought was .......just because I am hitting 70 why would I not care about all the things I cared about when I was younger. I am still me. I still want the same things I spent my life working for. Just because a person gets older we don't just fade away into ourselves. We are still an active vibrant part of the world. We want our families to be able to thrive after we are gone. Hopefully we will all live to be 100 so we still have a lot of life to live and time to help save the oceans, etc.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:33 PM

1,711 posts, read 756,991 times
Quote:
When you start getting older do you have interests in things that may go beyond the extent of your lifespan?
Yes and no. Age 71 here.

Quote:
self-driving cars,
No. And I eschew the modern technology and complexity of newer cars. I prefer simplicity so I drive older cars without a lot of bells and whistles.

Quote:
artificial intelligence,
In the abstract, I find the concept fascinating but beware of Skynet.

(If the reference escapes anybody, watch the Terminator movies and TV shows.)

Quote:
advancement of computing power, etc.
Yes. To a point. Like cars, I don't need an up to date computer, just one that is speedy and efficient and I do update my accessories.

Quote:
light rails, bullet trains,
Not important to me.

Quote:
expanding interstate highway system, fixing existing infrastructure (i.e. roads/bridges).
Definite yes to all that.

Quote:
Medical advances: surgical procedure, distance based medical/therapy appointments, advances in diagnostics/cures for conditions, medication advances, etc.
Definitely yes to all that. I want medical science to keep me alive for many more years but not beyond my ability to enjoy life.

Quote:
Preserving public lands,
Definitely need that.

Quote:
climate change, etc.
The human race is still too stupid to figure out what to do about that.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:39 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,448,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
If the person you quoted said they were worried about young people not working, why would you be in favor of importing more people?
Two reasons.

1) Every credible econometric model of the economy shows that growth in GDP comes from population increases. As we allow more immigration (within reason), we'll drive the nation's GDP upward. More GDP means more tax revenue for Uncle Sam.

2) The US Population Growth Rate is sagging, which means that we will have fewer people in the work force. We desperately need more people in the workforce to actually pay for the social security benefits & medicare benefits that have already been promised.

The economics of Social Security are easily forecasted. We currently have fewer than 2.9 people working for each retired SS recipient. Each SS recipient takes, on average, over $16,000 per year in benefits. That $16,000 comes from deductions from about 2.9 working people... so everyone working forks over on average north of $5500 to pay for SS for people already retired.

By 2030, that 2.9 number will drop to about 2.0 people.

We need to expand the workforce as that is the easiest way to expand GDP. We desperately need to increase the number of people working per retiree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
With chain migration, they bring in their elders who we then have to support through SSI, Medicaid, Food Stamps, etc. after five years. The Chinese have this going well for them.
I think we can add some intelligence to the immigration qualification process, don't you?

Old 01-05-2018, 07:15 PM

1,630 posts, read 967,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Two reasons.

1) Every credible econometric model of the economy shows that growth in GDP comes from population increases. As we allow more immigration (within reason), we'll drive the nation's GDP upward. More GDP means more tax revenue for Uncle Sam.

2) The US Population Growth Rate is sagging, which means that we will have fewer people in the work force. We desperately need more people in the workforce to actually pay for the social security benefits & medicare benefits that have already been promised.

The economics of Social Security are easily forecasted. We currently have fewer than 2.9 people working for each retired SS recipient. Each SS recipient takes, on average, over $16,000 per year in benefits. That $16,000 comes from deductions from about 2.9 working people... so everyone working forks over on average north of $5500 to pay for SS for people already retired.

By 2030, that 2.9 number will drop to about 2.0 people.

We need to expand the workforce as that is the easiest way to expand GDP. We desperately need to increase the number of people working per retiree.

I think we can add some intelligence to the immigration qualification process, don't you?
No, because adding more and more people would put in the same predicament as China and India. Sorry, i dont want to see filthy skies and rivers. More people means more pollution. You must be an economist. They only think quantitatively, not qualitatively.

Quit freaking out.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:40 AM

4,435 posts, read 1,683,451 times
When Dr. Karl Menninger (head of the Menninger Foundation) turned 90, he was asked what achievement in his life he was most proud of. He said "Living 90 years and still retaining the capacity to become indignant."

Old 01-06-2018, 05:48 PM

5,259 posts, read 3,023,279 times
Quote:
^^ You've just given a very strong argument to increase immigration.

Wrong!

Old 01-06-2018, 05:54 PM

7,981 posts, read 3,469,850 times
Republicans in this administration want to cut medicare and social security. I donít think seniors are going to have much to look forward to. Save your money, it will buy you a few more years. Stay in good health and maybe they will legalize assisted suicide.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:32 AM

402 posts, read 204,027 times
Quote:
Every credible econometric model of the economy shows that growth in GDP comes from population increases. As we allow more immigration (within reason), we'll drive the nation's GDP upward. More GDP means more tax revenue for Uncle Sam.
Well, this last part is true. The first part is not. Chinese growth in GDP was not due to population increase. The US population has increased from about 280 million in the 70s to over 330 million now, but the only growth in GDP is due to inflation.

Increase in GDP comes from increased productivity, resulting from investments. For the past 40 or 50 years, the banksters who have controlled Wall Street have been pulling their money from the US and moving it to Asia. I don't see any sign that is going to change. That is the main driver of GDP.

Quote:
The US Population Growth Rate is sagging, which means that we will have fewer people in [the work force. We desperately need more people in the workforce to actually pay for the social security benefits & medicare benefits that have already been promised.
Well, maybe. If those workers actually do contribute to Social Security.
The TISA (Trade in Services Agreement) that is now being secretly negotiated will bring millions of guest workers into the US to do the work that cannot be outsourced. Those workers will not be paying into Social Security.

Plus, the Obama administration was in talks with India about a Totalization Agreement, which would pull out the Social Security payments guest workers from India would pay into Social Security. All you need to do is go to any large IT company, and look around, and see all the Indian and Chinese workers - none of them will be paying into Social Security, either.

So no, more workers who don't pay into Social Security will NOT help us.

Quote:
We need to expand the workforce as that is the easiest way to expand GDP. We desperately need to
increase the number of people working per retiree.
Well, that's one way. Another is to limit Social Security to be insurance, so that the only people who collect are people who got disabled at work, or who are retired. Right now, about 40% of Social Security goes to people who never worked, who are "disabled", like "disabled" 8 years olds, and aged relatives of immigrants. It is de facto a national welfare system, rather than what it should be - an insurance program.

I understand the need to pay cash to segments of society that would otherwise die or be in extreme hardship, but it should come from the general fund, not from Social Security. Maybe defer building some bombs for a year or two.
Maybe the Pentagon can find some of that two TRILLION dollars it's missing - that would make a lot more sense. Why is that discussion always off the table?

Quote:
ONLY if people do their homework, and not just repeat sound bites from the corporate media, which has its own agenda and propaganda machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement