Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 11:20 PM

51 posts, read 40,608 times

Advertisements

Figured this board would probably know most about it. I was talking to my father who is 64 and he was talking about getting some AARP stuff in the mail and I asked him if he was going to ever sign up and he said no and said he doesn't like what they stand for and support. I found that a little odd given doesn't it just help out older people? He wouldn't elaborate further, which is why I am asking here. He is very socially and economically conservative, anyone have any idea why he wouldn't like AARP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 11:35 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,354,571 times
First of all, AARP is just another business selling the same products as other businesses do. Just like Humana or Aetna or Kaiser.

But, AARP is also different. They are left wing Democrats by political orientation. They support left wing causes.

That is why people don't like AARP.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:47 PM

457 posts, read 656,124 times
AARP is nothing more than Democrat-agenda supporting insurance company!

Goes back to when Dietz was AARP president, was a major anti-gun proponent when a majority of AARP
members were conservative

AARP supported Obamacare passage when NO ONE knew what it included!

There are conservative alternatives to AARP. Suggest you seek themn out.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:19 AM

4,263 posts, read 5,891,595 times
Guess I need to contribute more to AARP.

I always viewed them as pro-seniors, which obviously includes being in favor of special programs to assist seniors. Since Social Security and Medicare are both funded from career long Payroll Deductions rather than general taxes, I find it surprising how many seniors are opposed to those programs - at least until their own electronic deposits start arriving in their accounts. I haven't met anyone yet who sent the money back, no matter how die hard of a conservative they view themselves as being.

I don't agree with all of AARP's positions but they fill a very necessary role as being vocal advocates for senior citizens, a group who had been forgotten in the not too distant past.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:31 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,228,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by este914 View Post
Figured this board would probably know most about it. I was talking to my father who is 64 and he was talking about getting some AARP stuff in the mail and I asked him if he was going to ever sign up and he said no and said he doesn't like what they stand for and support. I found that a little odd given doesn't it just help out older people? He wouldn't elaborate further, which is why I am asking here. He is very socially and economically conservative, anyone have any idea why he wouldn't like AARP?
My redhatter MAGA parent stopped contributing to AARP when Faux News told him that AARP supported Obama's health care plan. My parent is on Medicare/Tricare (Retired military) and wasn't even affected by the ACA.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:37 AM

105,725 posts, read 107,717,837 times
aarp is a marketing company . they do what is best for aarp'

Old 12-21-2017, 05:40 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,228,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
aarp is a marketing company . they do what is best for aarp'
Kind of like NRA?
A 501c4 non-profit organization lobbies on behalf of its membership?

Old 12-21-2017, 05:43 AM

221 posts, read 190,790 times
Constant assault of unnecessary mailings. Extending subscription to various affiliates to whom they have sold your name/address and self promotion. This bombardment is more than annoying.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:49 AM

105,725 posts, read 107,717,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Kind of like NRA?
at least the nra lobbies on behalf of it's members. that is generally not aarps agenda .

as an example low balling you on auto insurance ,sticking you in a high risk group of seniors and then raising the rates to match the groups risk or selling high fee annuity products , is not serving the members .

i am a member for the discounts but i would buy nothing they offer -ever . it seems to be the gist of their existence-selling products .

Old 12-21-2017, 05:53 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,074,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Kind of like NRA?
Exactly. Just be aware that AARP is a leftist lobbying group and has left-leaning employees. Other options out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement