Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 02:13 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
I am pretty sure that, if they get married, she would loose the railroad retirement benefit and I think that that is a pretty good income.
It is a solid benefit. Why throw that away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 03:20 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Okay, I will throw it out there: ....What if the 91 year old is making up his assets, income, house-value or number of kids? Does your mom believe everything he says? Not saying he doesn't have these things but she knows his financial numbers that he provided. Are those numbers accurate? How long has she known him? If years, it's likely true. If months or weeks, Warning!

Old 01-05-2018, 03:31 PM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Okay, I will throw it out there: ....What if the 91 year old is making up his assets, income, house-value or number of kids? Does your mom believe everything he says? Not saying he doesn't have these things but she knows his financial numbers that he provided. Are those numbers accurate? How long has she known him? If years, it's likely true. If months or weeks, Warning!
I'm still wondering why a 91 yo man only has 150K equity in his house. My question is how much does he owe? How long has he been retired? Is he eating his seed corn?

Old 01-06-2018, 10:21 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I'm still wondering why a 91 yo man only has 150K equity in his house. My question is how much does he owe? How long has he been retired? Is he eating his seed corn?
More likely they live in an area where house values aren't that high. OP said her mother's house is worth 220K, so a smaller or older house somewhere in that vicinity may very well be worth 150K.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:09 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
More likely they live in an area where house values aren't that high.
OP said her mother's house is worth 220K,
so a smaller or older house somewhere in that vicinity may very well be worth 150K.
Beware of mixing up market value with equity ... which I think was done earlier.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:34 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
I still can't believe a 91 y.o. is trying to buy a new house. Too many old memories, huh?

Old 01-06-2018, 02:39 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I still can't believe a 91 y.o. is trying to buy a new house. Too many old memories, huh?
I was 64 when we bought this place. Memories had a lot to do with it since I had owned a home for all but a few years since i was 27. It was the way to live for us. If I had given it more thought I would have gone condo or apartment. If we were to move now it would be something like a retirement community with associated elder care.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:52 PM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I was 64 when we bought this place. Memories had a lot to do with it since I had owned a home for all but a few years since i was 27. It was the way to live for us. If I had given it more thought I would have gone condo or apartment. If we were to move now it would be something like a retirement community with associated elder care.
A one bedroom in a retirement building that provides one meal a day is running 6000 a month in my community.

SIL figures he can put all the geezers in his family in the same place and hire nurses for less money.

We downsized at 74 and remodeled creating an age in place house. I can't think of anything worse than being trapped in a geezer place with people I have nothing in common with besides age

Old 01-07-2018, 08:34 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
A one bedroom in a retirement building that provides one meal a day is running 6000 a month in my community.

SIL figures he can put all the geezers in his family in the same place and hire nurses for less money.

We downsized at 74 and remodeled creating an age in place house. I can't think of anything worse than being trapped in a geezer place with people I have nothing in common with besides age
Yes, I get it. Your feelings are why the FIL and his wife did not move there ten years ago when he put money down on the place he lives in alone now.
Given the cash on hand, I would retire to a cruise ship:
1. Food is better
2. New scenery every day or so
3. New friends every week
4. Cheap drinks
5. Bring along a pretty nurse and everyone thinks you are a billionaire
6. If you fall, it's their fault
7. In the long run, it's cheaper
8. Decide to marry, the Captain performs the ceremony for free
9. No matter where you go, they always bring you home
and best of all:
10. When you die, no expensive funeral, they bury you at sea!

Old 01-07-2018, 10:49 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
There's also Medicaid-paid long term care planning to consider.
Very timely thread and especially this comment. My 92 yr old mother told me this week that she is planning to marry her 96 yr old boyfriend from the assisted living place where they both live. Unfortunately, her mental health has deteriorated to the point that she must be moved soon to a facility that can handle a person in her condition. She has zero assets and her SS is $2100 a month less than the cost of her current facility and about $5600 less than the new facility. We applied for Medicaid assistance for the memory care facility two weeks ago. If she were somehow able to get married without my knowledge her qualification for Medicaid assistance could disappear. The extra $5600 a month needed for her care at the new facility should this happen would be rather impactful.

Thank you, Geoff, for mentioning this. I was laughing about the marriage idea yesterday and today I'm terrified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement