U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 03:06 PM

4,817 posts, read 1,835,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
I understand what you are saying. I like to hike and would like to get more into camping, but I am not comfortable soloing and don't have a group to do it with.

Road Scholar has a really nice selection of activities covering a wide variety of interests. I am looking at their 5 day hike through the Great Smoky Mountains in the fall.

https://www.roadscholar.org

I have two older dogs, but as long as they were in good health I would leave them with an overnight income dog sitter for a few days if I wanted to travel without them.

Ennui? Well maybe, but I think the first steps are the hardest so just make the leap and decide to go for it!
Thanks for the link. If you do this trip, can you post your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
here are 'some' of my regular venues, (And I do 'variations on a theme' try a few new events each yr)

Most I do 'single' (have done them all single, no problem)

Thanksgiving - New Year ~ 1 week (I spend 3+ cuz I have a cabin to stay for free)
Christmas Lighting Trail in Hill Country TX (Near San Antonio 'River Walk' ... Many small towns with events / parades / concerts / craft shows...) Hill Country Christmas Lighting Trail
https://www.tripsavvy.com/texas-hill...-trail-1656925

Thanksgiving annual conference (at a retreat center / kids camp / ranch I have been part of for 30 yrs)
January = Sydney for New Years (once may be enough) But NZ and AU are GREAT in January (except for summer crowds (you can avoid crowds by staying in remote areas of NZ and AU)

February = Valentines Day in Loveland, CO (do Estes Park (RMNP) and Loveland once / month (previous home)
March = San Diego + desert wild flowers (Valley of Fire, near LV is a must see)
April
- Thailand (this is a Zoo... so I go slightly BEFORE the festival) Songkran Water Festival in Thailand 2018 - Tips for Visitors
+ SE USA Dogwoods + a great time to visit Bay Area and nearby Gold Trail / Wine Country (while it's Still GREEN)
early May- Rhododendron Festival and Gardens (Portland Oregon) I include this event Oregon Potters Association - Ceramic Showcase
early May - Tulips in Various USA locations as well as Netherlands (When possible) Also good time to go to Wales and Scotland (early June for Ireland)
Late May - Memorial Day services in Arlington Cemetery
- also an annual traveling show in various parts of USA (Antique commercial vehicles)

June - Nebraska / Wyo / SD (Hay season) Always attend this unique annual event (Walker Hymn Sing | Lifting high the name of our Lord through the singing of hymns.)
July - Washington DC or Boston Fireworks (Or Vancouver, WA if on left coast) or BOTH if you have a very FAST jet!
-- lots of antique equipment / cruise-ins
-- lots of Mtn Motorcycle rides (on my vintage beaters)

August - Art fests Home - Sculpture in the Park
-

Sept - USA and Canada Mtn National Parks

Oct - Maritime provinces / New England

November - SE USA / TN / Blueridge Parkway.

I was just checking for 'Fiber-arts-tours' There are many (international and national) very affordable and great venues.
Looking forward to exploring these links.

I like how you have figured out what times of year to visit certain places.

I don't like heat or bugs, so have to factor that in.

I want to go to Chang Mai, Thailand.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:13 PM

31,630 posts, read 19,955,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I would love to hear from people who have done this!
I went on one to Thailand. My sister went, but she was already sharing a room. I didn't want to pay extra, so I shared a room. It was fun, and I would have had a good time even if I didn't know any of the others.

I would certainly do it if I were single.

Probably not the cruises, because there is a lot of down time, and I think I would feel a little lonely, but trips to Asia or Europe and the like, certainly!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 01-04-2018, 05:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,552 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Thank you. In my "think-outside-the-box" exercise this morning, I was thinking about house swapping. ...

Have you done the home swapping? How was it for you?
1000's of stays, but never house swapping (for me)

I find the people who house swap prefer to do it with their 'second home' / auxiliary dwelling (basement or Garage apartment)

Our homes are personal... but amazing several 'hospitality homes' have allowed us to stay, even tho they were not home! They offered any bed and any food... but we are 'low impact' and no need to snoop around or use the food in the fridge.

When staying solo.. Ie use a 'spare bedroom' / not the master... One gal really needed someone to care for her pet, so I stayed a week and did that (had never met!) She left the key with the neighbor) Offered the car (which I would never expect / use). Few would be happy or feel safe with MY car ($35 veggie oil car, since 1976)

I would not like to do a 'cruise' alone (I don't like cruises anyway, even worse if alone... there is NOTHING for a farm kid to do on a commercial boat.) I love sailing, but never would want to 'sit and let others do the sailing'...

Trains, Planes, buses, road trips... great!!!

Class B campervan GREAT! (solo)
(I prefer a used 'Roadtrek', but my Rialta is pretty sweet.. )
Winnebago Rialta Motor Home
Some trips solo gal friends enjoyed, include a Wales tour via horseback / pubs. Teacher based 'field trips' (ex-teachers on world tours together), Getaways to European cities, history tours, theme based tours (crafts and hobbies (gardening, Photography, sewing, hiking, camping)...

I know a lot more gals that like to camp, than I do guys.

There is a blog about a solo gal touring / workamping in a van.

You mention 'Annual' trips... do you mean 'holiday replacements' for the solo folks? If so... consider National Park lodges or English 'House Parties'... Both have flexible programs on the holidays that cater well to singles.

My dream job is playing the piano on winter holidays in National Park Lodges... especially Snow Bound!!! Wildlife is really great to see in Yellowstone / Tetons during the winter. Most parks are lightly visited in winter. (better chances to enjoy quiet and wildlife)

Old 01-04-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I went on one to Thailand. My sister went, but she was already sharing a room. I didn't want to pay extra, so I shared a room. It was fun, and I would have had a good time even if I didn't know any of the others.

I would certainly do it if I were single.

Probably not the cruises, because there is a lot of down time, and I think I would feel a little lonely, but trips to Asia or Europe and the like, certainly!
What kind of trip did you take to Thailand? It isn't clear. Thanks.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
What kind of trip did you take to Thailand? It isn't clear. Thanks.
Just a tour. Bangkok, Chiang Mai, visited ruins, whorehouse for massages (), River Kwai, tiger sanctuary, rode elephants, went down a river with all kinds of houses (shacks on it). Tourist stuff.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Just a tour. Bangkok, Chiang Mai, visited ruins, whorehouse for massages (), River Kwai, tiger sanctuary, rode elephants, went down a river with all kinds of houses (shacks on it). Tourist stuff.
What was the name of the tour?

Do you recommend it?

Old 01-04-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
What was the name of the tour?

Do you recommend it?
This is when I was a kid, like 30 years ago. Check your local travel agent, they have plenty of tours. DH and I were just looking at group tours to China and the area. The have the schedule of activities listed.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:23 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,522,722 times
Please don't get a cat if you plan to take trips more than 1-2 weeks in duration. This is not fair to the cat. My cats would start to stress out if I was gone for more than 7-10 days even with a pet sitter visiting every day for an hour. And pet sitters are expensive. I would postpone getting more pets until you are older and finished traveling so much.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:37 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,051,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Please don't get a cat if you plan to take trips more than 1-2 weeks in duration. This is not fair to the cat. My cats would start to stress out if I was gone for more than 7-10 days even with a pet sitter visiting every day for an hour. And pet sitters are expensive. I would postpone getting more pets until you are older and finished traveling so much.
I agree! I could go on so many little trips if I didn't have so many animals. I have hit my limit and won't be getting more. I'll help in other ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or