U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 04:37 AM

4,452 posts, read 1,689,855 times

Advertisements

I had a first thought when I read your post title, then when I read the post, I thought you were ideally suited for my philosophy, which is:

You will not find adventure by looking for it. Only by positioning yourself so you can catch it when it presents itself.

One very overlooked prospect is National Forest campgrounds. Get yourself a little tent from Walmart., and some pans and dishes from a yard sale, hundred bucks, and go camping at a National Forest, less than ten bucks a night. Other families, coming and going, always company to talk to, out in nature. Rustic and simple and quiet. State parks would be another alternatgive, but camping there is nowadays as expensive as motels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 04:57 AM

71,766 posts, read 71,875,234 times
we got back from cuba last month . what a fabulous trip .

headed to new orleans next month and bermuda in april .

Old 01-05-2018, 06:17 AM

4,447 posts, read 2,621,737 times
OP nobodysbusiness:

I used to travel single when I was young and hate hate hated paying the "single premium". In one area one of my co-workers was also a travel agent. I would tell her where I wanted to go and ehat I wanted to see, and she's arrange it as cheaply as possible.

But I'm older mow, attached and traveln here you are is more rewarding making memories with my OH. If you join a senior center, they may offer senior singles and or doubles trips you can go on and share with another single senior. ( I'm assuming in the retirement section you are a senior).

Also Che k with your LOCAL long trip bus company. Many provide trips to areas/cities for a day or weekend that don't charge for singles. We are central upstate New York and one local bus service goes to NYC for day trips, for example. No extra charge as long as you Fill a seat.

Also I ECHO THE THOUGHT DON'T GET A CAT. They needless care than a dog, but it's still not fair to the cat to keep going away on long trips for days on end.

Hawai'i is a great destination. We've been and going back. We've exhausted Oahu over the years and are looking forward to Maui and Kauai, and exhausting them over the next several trips, next one planned for 2020. Doing one trip doesn't "do it all", several trips can be planned, even to the same island to see different things.

When traveling as you get older, even if fit, plan a day or two to "do nothing" in the middle. I find we tend to run a lot on adrenaline and need a "do nothing" day here and there.

Also plan a 'do anything" day just to drive around or bus around and SEE things. If driving just be sure to program your hotels address in you for or Google maps!! Thats,to be sure your GPS can get you back there, lol.also get the hotels phone number in case if emergency you can call them If you need local help.

We have been traveling all over the eastern seaboard, and the country. Even a weekenders in driving distance gets us "away".

I am handicapped and my OH has pagets bone disease, so we chose to do some of our traveling now while we are more able than to wait til we actually cant.

Best of luck as you plan your trips!!!

Old 01-05-2018, 06:28 AM

365 posts, read 126,428 times
No one MUST travel. Just because other people travel a lot, doesn't mean everyone has to. Some people are just homebodies and there's nothing wrong with that. If you are feeling like you are missing something then go travel but if you think you "must" travel because everyone else does it or because people are pressuring you to travel, that's not really the reason to do it.

As a single woman travelling alone, I'm very careful about where I go and what I do. I like to hike but would never camp alone especially not in a forest. Not just because of safety reasons but it's gloomy and dismal at night to lay in a tent by yourself in the dark. Is that fun? I don't think so.

I like to hike but I'm careful where I go hiking alone. Some hiking areas are unsuitable for people hiking alone. I was contemplating a trip to the Canadian Rockies but I'm leery of hiking around grizzlies (they are prevalent there) and it's iffy whether I'll be able to find other people to hike with once I get there. Nor do I really like hiking with others because everyone's physical level is different. I don't like feeling pressured to keep up with someone who is far above my level of fitness yet I don't want to be stuck hanging back with someone who is lagging behind me either. It's iffy. I've used commercial hiking guides but it's extremely expensive, cannot afford to do it all the time, and guides usually want a minimum of 4 or 6 people. And again, there are varying levels of fitness on group hikes. I myself prefer not to deal with that.

I've hiked alone lot in the Southwest and Northeast US but will not hike alone around grizzlies.

I find that if I go somewhere rather deserted like a beach or a wilderness area, I can get very bored. It might be fun for a couple snuggling in their cabin together but it can be incredibly boring for a single person (unless you are a very low energy person--I'm not). If I'm driving around and seeing miles and miles of open land with nothing to do, it's boring. I need to have multiple sights and activities to keep me busy. Such as interesting sightseeing, museums, shopping, spas, and day hikes. I cannot simply get a cabin and lay around watching the leaves falling or lay on a beach all day long. It's boring, boring, boring!

Also I find that travelling alone is very expensive if you have no one to share the rental car or accommodation costs with.

Cruises and group tours--no, not for me. Cannot stand being in a group.

I have used Airbnbs quite a bit and find them to be great for a solo traveler. Usually more reasonably priced than hotels or B&Bs. I buy my own food and cook. After being out all day long, it's nice to come back to a nice rental and sit down watching TV while my food cooks. I hate eating out alone.

Also train trips are great for solos but the ones I looked into are extremely expensive.

Unless you have a very sizeable pension and savings, travelling for a solo person in retirement is somewhat too expensive to do it very often. I can afford maybe 1 trip a year but I can't afford multiple trips, multiple getaways, $1000 weekends, etc. Renting a house for a month sounds lovely but the cost of the car rental would be prohibitive and there isn't anywhere within driving distance of my residence that I want to go.

Everywhere within driving distance of my residence is just plain boring to me. I prefer going somewhere I've never been before but that can be expensive. Most hotels in tourist areas are $200 a night.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:44 AM

489 posts, read 327,197 times
Some of the best vacations I've ever taken were done single. I did two week-long stays at dude ranches (one here in Colorado; one in Wyoming near the Tetons); best vacations EVER!! They were all-inclusive and I got to horseback ride once or twice a day. Meals were family-style and there were other singles. I never felt awkward being alone.

The other great single vacation was a road trip to southeast Utah (Bluff, Utah was my base) where I did some great little hikes to see petroglyphs and also took a day trip to Monument Valley.

If I were to do an organized tour it would be one of these:

https://www.ricksteves.com/tours

Old 01-05-2018, 11:01 AM

3,458 posts, read 2,257,979 times
I've traveled on my own for decades and more recently, I choose to travel with a tour company like GoAhead Tours, Globus or Collette. Yes, you pay a premium as a single, though if you travel with the same company for more than one tour, you often get a "frequent traveler" discount that cancels out the single premium. Most recently, I went back to Paris for a week and had a very specific agenda -- an international art fair, Versailles, Giverny and three art museums I'd missed on my first trip -- so I went with a company called Monograms. They offered group rates on air and hotel and one coach tour of Paris to hit the highlights, but the rest of the itinerary was over to me. They had a company representative at my hotel each day to answer questions and to help book side trips. It was a wonderful trip and I'll use this company again if I know exactly what I want to do in the city or region I'm visiting.

To reassure you though, I have NEVER felt lonely on these overseas trips and have always felt included and welcome in the very mixed groups I've joined. Many ages, single or married, I've loved every one of my groups.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:33 PM

10,529 posts, read 8,778,692 times
I think this is a great idea. My wife and I do it. We travel to warm places in April-May or September, because these are the shoulder seasons and lodging is easier to find, both in Europe and the US (where we travel).

Try to be flexible about how much you book in advance. In an adventure, it's nice to be able to change plans based on unexpected good experiences.

But for a 1-2 month adventure, you really do have to do your homework to size up the opportunities, the travel routes, and the vacation rental situation.

We like rural areas, but you can also have urban adventures, or a mix. We drove the West Coast of the US in a rental car last year in September, from WA to LA, with lots of diversions in between.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:13 AM

402 posts, read 204,248 times
I travel my myself, and I've found, as I've gotten older, that it is more and more difficult to meet people, and I get lonely.

So now, I go to conferences. Mostly I like the ancient mysteries-type conferences. There are also workshops and seminars at exotic locations. I haven't tried those yet, because I've been budgeting myself to one a year, and there is one conference, Conference on Precession and Ancient Knowledge, that I go to whenever they have it, and several others in the ancient mysteries genre. But I'm thinking of doing some dolphin or Huna or spiritual healing workshops in Hawaii. I love Hawaii.

the benefit of doing these is that I don't get lonely, and the time is just about right. By the fourth or fifth day, I'm glad to be heading home, where my friends and family and toys are.

But I do love the mid-winter sun break, and the change of pace these conferences offer. You probably don't have the same interests as I do, but I'm sure you can find something - UFOs, lapidary trade shows, real estate seminars - something - that's happening in Utrecht, or the Dalmation coast, or a Mexican resort, or in Anchorage in August (if you live in a place that swelters in the summer).

I say go for it!

Old 01-07-2018, 10:07 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,573,856 times
Iím not single now, but I was for a long time. I have a passion for architecture, and also donít mind driving long distances on my own. I would take long trips with stops to see buildings of interest to me, fitting other fun or relaxing things in along the way. Iíd usually take at least one week-long vacation from work each year and a couple of 4-day weekends.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:05 AM

6,605 posts, read 3,684,120 times
You must have some interest that you would like to pursue. It could be anything — maybe visiting public gardens or minor league baseball games or maybe architecture or historic preservation. There are probably groups with the same interests that would have annual meetings or conferences....maybe tours. The act of getting there...the traveling part...should be part of the adventure. On a road trip you can stop along the way or take side trips. I love trains and you meet amazing people who have the time and willingness to share stories or listen to yours.

Your dog might be ok with a sitter for a few days for shorter trips. Longer trips might be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or