U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 11:00 AM

4,819 posts, read 1,835,435 times

Advertisements

My planning in life has been limited to school and work goals . . . I have previously not had the where-withal to plan fun things, so life has mostly just happened . . .

As future years get fewer, I find I would love to be more creative in attaining fun goals.

I am single, so it becomes more challenging because I avoid doing things I would otherwise do with a partner or companion.

I have joined a women's travel group, but so far, have not planned a trip.

I have family that can be challenging, which has prevented me from moving forward. I really want to put myself first this year.

So I want to plan some fun get-aways and think outside-the-box, re: maybe renting a house here or there for a month.

I have an old dog, so that is another concern (don't like to leave him and last time I did, the person took a picture of him and he looked really terrible, and I trust this person a lot - so that is a super big concern. I am also going to get a cat, so then I will have to hire someone to come into the house every couple of days).

Just noting all of the things that stop me from moving forward. I know most of these things can somehow be dealt with, it's just that ennui prevents this most of the time!

Any stories, ideas?

I get the feeling that most people here are coupled, so I don't know if this is the best place to post this, but am hoping to get some ideas of things you have done differently (really creative ways to live and explore the world) or???

Looking for inspiration and encouragement to step out of my comfort zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 11:03 AM

31,630 posts, read 19,955,234 times
There are things like single cruises and group travel (they are usually another $500 for a single). Trips all over.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 01-04-2018, 11:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,555 posts, read 39,934,465 times
here are 'some' of my regular venues, (And I do 'variations on a theme' try a few new events each yr)

Most I do 'single' (have done them all single, no problem)

Thanksgiving - New Year ~ 1 week (I spend 3+ cuz I have a cabin to stay for free)
Christmas Lighting Trail in Hill Country TX (Near San Antonio 'River Walk' ... Many small towns with events / parades / concerts / craft shows...) Hill Country Christmas Lighting Trail
https://www.tripsavvy.com/texas-hill...-trail-1656925

Thanksgiving annual conference (at a retreat center / kids camp / ranch I have been part of for 30 yrs)
January = Sydney for New Years (once may be enough) But NZ and AU are GREAT in January (except for summer crowds (you can avoid crowds by staying in remote areas of NZ and AU)

February = Valentines Day in Loveland, CO (do Estes Park (RMNP) and Loveland once / month (previous home)
March = San Diego + desert wild flowers (Valley of Fire, near LV is a must see)
April
- Thailand (this is a Zoo... so I go slightly BEFORE the festival) Songkran Water Festival in Thailand 2018 - Tips for Visitors
+ SE USA Dogwoods + a great time to visit Bay Area and nearby Gold Trail / Wine Country (while it's Still GREEN)
early May- Rhododendron Festival and Gardens (Portland Oregon) I include this event Oregon Potters Association - Ceramic Showcase
early May - Tulips in Various USA locations as well as Netherlands (When possible) Also good time to go to Wales and Scotland (early June for Ireland)
Late May - Memorial Day services in Arlington Cemetery
- also an annual traveling show in various parts of USA (Antique commercial vehicles)

June - Nebraska / Wyo / SD (Hay season) Always attend this unique annual event (Walker Hymn Sing | Lifting high the name of our Lord through the singing of hymns.)
July - Washington DC or Boston Fireworks (Or Vancouver, WA if on left coast) or BOTH if you have a very FAST jet!
-- lots of antique equipment / cruise-ins
-- lots of Mtn Motorcycle rides (on my vintage beaters)

August - Art fests Home - Sculpture in the Park
-

Sept - USA and Canada Mtn National Parks

Oct - Maritime provinces / New England

November - SE USA / TN / Blueridge Parkway.

I was just checking for 'Fiber-arts-tours' There are many (international and national) very affordable and great venues.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:48 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,259,322 times
I don't know where you are located. You can take a car trip with your dog and go to dog-friendly places. Check out BringFido for things to do with your dog in areas you are interested in.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:36 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,224,185 times
I understand what you are saying. I like to hike and would like to get more into camping, but I am not comfortable soloing and don't have a group to do it with.

Road Scholar has a really nice selection of activities covering a wide variety of interests. I am looking at their 5 day hike through the Great Smoky Mountains in the fall.

https://www.roadscholar.org

I have two older dogs, but as long as they were in good health I would leave them with an overnight income dog sitter for a few days if I wanted to travel without them.

Ennui? Well maybe, but I think the first steps are the hardest so just make the leap and decide to go for it!

Old 01-04-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
here are 'some' of my regular venues, (And I do 'variations on a theme' try a few new events each yr)

Most I do 'single' (have done them all single, no problem)

Thanksgiving - New Year ~ 1 week (I spend 3+ cuz I have a cabin to stay for free)
Christmas Lighting Trail in Hill Country TX (Near San Antonio 'River Walk' ... Many small towns with events / parades / concerts / craft shows...) Hill Country Christmas Lighting Trail
https://www.tripsavvy.com/texas-hill...-trail-1656925

Thanksgiving annual conference (at a retreat center / kids camp / ranch I have been part of for 30 yrs)
January = Sydney for New Years (once may be enough) But NZ and AU are GREAT in January (except for summer crowds (you can avoid crowds by staying in remote areas of NZ and AU)

February = Valentines Day in Loveland, CO (do Estes Park (RMNP) and Loveland once / month (previous home)
March = San Diego + desert wild flowers (Valley of Fire, near LV is a must see)
April
- Thailand (this is a Zoo... so I go slightly BEFORE the festival) Songkran Water Festival in Thailand 2018 - Tips for Visitors
+ SE USA Dogwoods + a great time to visit Bay Area and nearby Gold Trail / Wine Country (while it's Still GREEN)
early May- Rhododendron Festival and Gardens (Portland Oregon) I include this event Oregon Potters Association - Ceramic Showcase
early May - Tulips in Various USA locations as well as Netherlands (When possible) Also good time to go to Wales and Scotland (early June for Ireland)
Late May - Memorial Day services in Arlington Cemetery
- also an annual traveling show in various parts of USA (Antique commercial vehicles)

June - Nebraska / Wyo / SD (Hay season) Always attend this unique annual event (Walker Hymn Sing | Lifting high the name of our Lord through the singing of hymns.)
July - Washington DC or Boston Fireworks (Or Vancouver, WA if on left coast) or BOTH if you have a very FAST jet!
-- lots of antique equipment / cruise-ins
-- lots of Mtn Motorcycle rides (on my vintage beaters)

August - Art fests Home - Sculpture in the Park
-

Sept - USA and Canada Mtn National Parks

Oct - Maritime provinces / New England

November - SE USA / TN / Blueridge Parkway.

I was just checking for 'Fiber-arts-tours' There are many (international and national) very affordable and great venues.
Wow. This is fantastic. Thanks for all of the ideas and links. It sounds like you are a great planner!

Old 01-04-2018, 02:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,555 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
...fun get-aways and think outside-the-box, re: maybe renting a house here or there for a month.

I have an old dog, so that is another concern (don't like to leave him and last time I did, the person took a picture of him and he looked really terrible, and I trust this person a lot - so that is a super big concern. I am also going to get a cat, so then I will have to hire someone to come into the house every couple of days).

Any stories, ideas?
Looking for inspiration and encouragement to step out of my comfort zone.
Many hosts on Hospitality networks share 'pet-sitting'.
We have a few hosts ask us, (in NICE locations... such as SFO and Prescott and Tuscon) but a couple we met in Belgium do annual trips globally to pet sit for other members. (have done so for over 10 yrs) They do 4 - 6 week trips to different parts of the world, primarily for pet sitting and secondary for enjoying a new culture (free housing).

http://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

Old 01-04-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Many hosts on Hospitality networks share 'pet-sitting'.
We have a few hosts ask us, (in NICE locations... such as SFO and Prescott and Tuscon) but a couple we met in Belgium do annual trips globally to pet sit for other members. (have done so for over 10 yrs) They do 4 - 6 week trips to different parts of the world, primarily for pet sitting and secondary for enjoying a new culture (free housing).

http://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange
Thank you. In my "think-outside-the-box" exercise this morning, I was thinking about house swapping. I love the idea of it, but don't think it is for me because my house is so personal to me (not that other people don't feel their homes are personal), but I wouldn't want someone sleeping in my bed, for instance, and have too many personal effects around. I would not trust anyone to come in and take care of my senior "baby" (call him my "old baby") . . . But I love brainstorming and seeing what is possible.

Have you done the home swapping? How was it for you?

Old 01-04-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
I don't know where you are located. You can take a car trip with your dog and go to dog-friendly places. Check out BringFido for things to do with your dog in areas you are interested in.
I have looked into that a little bit - the only problem is that you can't leave the dog in the hotel room and restaurants who do accommodate make you hang out on the patio.

I did take him on a little trip once and it was fine, but I was pretty tied to him and wasn't able to do everything I wanted to do.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
There are things like single cruises and group travel (they are usually another $500 for a single). Trips all over.
I would love to hear from people who have done this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or