U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 07:06 AM

1,758 posts, read 1,246,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
This reminds me of a George Burns story. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Burns

At the time, George was about 90.

Interviewer: "George, you smoke cigars, chase women, and drink whisky every day. What does your doctor say about that?"

George: "My doctor is dead."
I normally do not laugh out loud but I literally laughed out loud on this! How funny!!! Thanks for sharing George Burn's statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 09:28 AM

21,697 posts, read 23,676,966 times
Default Betty White's Secrets For A Long Life

Here's Betty's recipe:

Betty White Thanks Vodka and Hotdogs for Her Long Life

Seems to have worked for her anyway.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:33 AM

2,692 posts, read 1,771,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Another woman said it was bacon. Yes, bacon every day and lots of it.
Dear Lord, please let this be based on scientific fact!!!!!

Old 01-07-2018, 02:47 PM

23,785 posts, read 8,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Husband and I drink Diet Coke Zero and love it. He is a healthy 71 and I am 62, feel like I'm 35.

Love that you can get a case of 36 at Costco for $10...
Some one has got to support Coke industry. I did a lot of coke as a young person and dental work to prove it...didn't brush teeth after every daily coke...of course back then it was real sugar now I think diet stuff is aspartame but I don't know for sure, since clean water is my choice...not tap but spring water.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:47 PM

21,896 posts, read 14,390,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I don't understand drinking diet coke or other diet sodas. It's all chemicals. Drinking something that is all chemicals - what sense does that make? And negative chemicals. What is the purpose?
You learn to like the taste. I started drinking diet soda in my teens, as early as the 1960s. The sweeteners have gotten progressively better tasting over the decades. But I've quit drinking diet soda at home. The stuff eats away tooth enamel, and it doesn't agree with my stomach any more.

But, there is nothing like a diet coke on a really warm day after working outside. Also, I like a diet coke in the summer when I eat a hamburger or Mexican food. I will indulge in one when I eat out, but I stopped buying them for our use.

Coffee, which I do indulge in often, is certainly chemically processed before I drink it. When you get down to it, all our food is made up of various chemicals. I do agree that food in its more natural state, and unprocessed, is best. But even bread and cheese are processed. I think that diet soda is not a necessary part of my diet, but I am not ready to condemn it for everyone else.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
I am not so sure if I want to live too long because I am sure my mental state would not be up to date. With that being said, I prefer to enjoy my moment instead of planning for future with promise that I can't even be sure I will get it.
I'm not wild about living into 90-100's and especially don't want to be propped up with drugs and wheelchairs. would love to go fast, can we control that one?

Old 01-07-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I don't understand drinking diet coke or other diet sodas. It's all chemicals. Drinking something that is all chemicals - what sense does that make? And negative chemicals. What is the purpose?
I agree, but I guess some think they are being preserved with all the chemicals going into their bodies.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You learn to like the taste. I started drinking diet soda in my teens, as early as the 1960s. The sweeteners have gotten progressively better tasting over the decades. But I've quit drinking diet soda at home. The stuff eats away tooth enamel, and it doesn't agree with my stomach any more.

But, there is nothing like a diet coke on a really warm day after working outside. Also, I like a diet coke in the summer when I eat a hamburger or Mexican food. I will indulge in one when I eat out, but I stopped buying them for our use.

Coffee, which I do indulge in often, is certainly chemically processed before I drink it. When you get down to it, all our food is made up of various chemicals. I do agree that food in its more natural state, and unprocessed, is best. But even bread and cheese are processed. I think that diet soda is not a necessary part of my diet, but I am not ready to condemn it for everyone else.
True on the teeth and these cokes.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:07 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I never liked the taste of diet soda so no longevity for me there. I'm banking on pizza.
Pizza is just something you gotta have. We have a great restraunt who also makes their own. A couple of times a month, I get two delivered to my door. They usually do three dinners each. It doesn't taste the same as a lot of places, much more Italian seasoning. Wonderful thin crust that's not spongy. Is there anyone here who doesn't like pizza?

Old 01-07-2018, 04:02 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,452,633 times
Why You Should Stop Drinking Diet Soda - Health 10 Reasons to Give Up Diet Soda

It's associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome

Drinking one diet soda a day was associated with a 36% increased risk of metabolic syndrome and diabetes in a University of Minnesota study.

It may hurt your heart

Just one diet soft drink a day could boost your risk of having a vascular event such as stroke, heart attack, or vascular death, according to researchers from the University of Miami and Columbia University. Their study found that diet soda devotees were 43% more likely to have experienced a vascular event than those who drank none.

It may be bad for your bones

Women over 60 are already at a greater risk for osteoporosis than men, and Tufts University researchers found that drinking soda, including diet soda, compounds the problem. A 2006 study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that cola intake (all kinds, not just diet) was associated with low bone-mineral density in women.

Last edited by matisse12; 01-07-2018 at 04:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement