Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 06:38 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,349,946 times

Advertisements

I was going to place this in the "Legacy" thread, but it has a different tone to it, so I wanted to start a new one. I think most of us would really love to read some comical (or maybe not-so-comical?) stories as we, as a group close to retirement or already retired, reflect on the antics and/or decisions we once made or experienced.

Almost 40 years ago, I was on my first teaching gig (3 years) at a local "Jr. High." At 22 years of age, I was desperately trying to coax and cajole a very bored 9th grade through Moby Dick. Now most English teachers will tell you that "the book is always better than the film," and for the most part, I agree - except for this particular novel (and perhaps The Color Purple).

Now we were not permitted to show the film (reel-to-reel) without finishing the novel first. And THAT was quite a dilemma . As I was trying to convey the soul of the tortured Ahab, I was getting nowhere...so I decided to give them a "preview." I climbed on top of my desk (yes, I was wearing slacks) with my long, wooden "pointer" in my hand, transfigured my face into what I thought was a depraved contortion and yelled, "DAMN YE WHALE...I SPIT MY LAST BREATH AT THEE!!!!" or something like that, with my harpoon raised above my head, ready to strike. Never saw so many open mouths in one place!

As fate would have it, in walks the PRINCIPAL from one of his weekly observation strolls. Time stood still - for about 8 long seconds. That lovely man quietly gave me a little salute of some kind, said, "Carry on Miss %$#." and walked out of the room. I was affectionately referred to as "Ahab" by my fellow faculty for the rest of my stay there.

TO THIS DAY if I'm in the area and run into former students with their children and now grandchildren, they make it a point to tell the terrified child that story when they introduce me.

PLEASE POST YOUR STORIES! It will be a nice reprieve from all the financial and worldly worries of today which plague many of us as we grow old. XO

Last edited by soulsurv; 10-25-2017 at 07:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 09:33 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
This in no way compares to the story above, but when I was in my 20's and married to my ex, we got into a "fight" in which we were chasing each other around the front yard, with cans of whipped cream. (Think of a combination of a clown show and Soupy Sales, for those oldsters who know what I'm talking about!)

If any of our neighbors were watching, I am sure they had something to talk about!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s85EgUrMHbU

Old 10-25-2017, 10:11 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
This probably is different from what you are asking for, but a few times while bicycling I have had men threaten to beat me up or even kill me.

First time: On the popular Peaks Trail near Frisco, a guy carrying a spade stepped out of the side when I was yelling at a dog that had suddenly rushed out to attack me. I stopped and was holding off the dog with loud noise when this nutcase came out and said he would "Hit me with this shovel and bury" me. I held my ground and challenged him: "Just try it. You so much as step forward even one inch and *I* will kill *YOU* instead." Then my boyfriend rode up and told him the dog had attacked me, not the other way around. Cowardly spade guy was meek as a baby to another MAN.

Second time was a downhilling mtn biker who had been standing at the top of a long climb I was ascending, fully visible. He apparently decided to bully me into yielding (in violation of trail etiquette). Except I did not, instead continuing to climb. At the last moment he swerved off the trail and bounced all over the side rocks, swearing at me and threatening to beat me up. That made me stop and tell him to get off his bike and just try it. He didn't. Another "compensating" fake-masculine bully.

Third time was on a paved bike path. After dawdling for at least a quarter mile behind a gaggle of very slow women riders shepherded by an old man, I warned, "Passing on your left" and did so. Somehow the slow shepherd sped up JUST TO CATCH UP and threaten to kill me. Yup, just for doing a legal pass that I guess he thought made him look slow. I told him to get off his bike and walk the talk, yeah, go ahead and brutalize a woman just for riding a bike past him, in front of his harem.

What a bunch of pathetic weenie bully guys! BTW, I *was* prepared to make good defending myself, just in case. Small doesn't mean defenseless.

Last edited by pikabike; 10-25-2017 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: ie ikepknn

Old 10-25-2017, 11:39 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Before I became a Christian at age 27, I did some stupid things. Perhaps one of the dumbest was hanging out at a bikers house. They offered me some drugs which I took. After a few hours I got sleepy and not wanting to drive home I went to sleep in a back room. At 3am I was dragged out of that room because there was a brawl going on around me. I went home and never returned

Old 10-25-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
This probably is different from what you are asking for, but a few times while bicycling I have had men threaten to beat me up or even kill me.

First time: On the popular Peaks Trail near Frisco, a guy carrying a spade stepped out of the side when I was yelling at a dog that had suddenly rushed out to attack me. I stopped and was holding off the dog with loud noise when this nutcase came out and said he would "Hit me with this shovel and bury" me. I held my ground and challenged him: "Just try it. You so much as step forward even one inch and *I* will kill *YOU* instead." Then my boyfriend rode up and told him the dog had attacked me, not the other way around. Cowardly spade guy was meek as a baby to another MAN.

Second time was a downhilling mtn biker who had been standing at the top of a long climb I was ascending, fully visible. He apparently decided to bully me into yielding (in violation of trail etiquette). Except I did not, instead continuing to climb. At the last moment he swerved off the trail and bounced all over the side rocks, swearing at me and threatening to beat me up. That made me stop and tell him to get off his bike and just try it. He didn't. Another "compensating" fake-masculine bully.

Third time was on a paved bike path. After dawdling for at least a quarter mile behind a gaggle of very slow women riders shepherded by an old man, I warned, "Passing on your left" and did so. Somehow the slow shepherd sped up JUST TO CATCH UP and threaten to kill me. Yup, just for doing a legal pass that I guess he thought made him look slow. I told him to get off his bike and walk the talk, yeah, go ahead and brutalize a woman just for riding a bike past him, in front of his harem.

What a bunch of pathetic weenie bully guys! BTW, I *was* prepared to make good defending myself, just in case. Small doesn't mean defenseless.
WOW!!!! You're one tough cookie!!! I'm glad you don't let anyone push you around!!

Old 10-25-2017, 12:11 PM

221 posts, read 192,799 times
More work assignments were added annually. Taking advantage of my physical ability to complete them (with no pay compensation) was then banned from using vacation days for Aug and then July.
With 13 years service my Monday morning phone call to HR informed them of a decision long in the making: was not returning. In a right-to-work state, my sudden and without notice resignation was effective... immediately.
An excellent way to begin the next life phase. Retirement. No regrets.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:16 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times
No regrets, although I wouldn't take the risks again at this stage of my life...

- illegal bungee jump off a train trestle
- sleep overnight in the train yard in Anchorage, AK
- wander the streets of Mexico City after dark

Old 10-25-2017, 12:51 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
well I was just thinking about this the other day . I found a dog running the street once and he got in my truck and I saw his name tag and address on his tag . I drove there and OMG !!! the trash laying around and about 40 dogs tied to trees . I removed his collar and his tags and threw them in my trash can and I never ever worried that I had done the wrong thing . I also called animal control and they had a raid at this particular house it was all over the news . Thank God I went there when I did . Do I regret taking that sweet gsd lab mix ? , never in a million years . He was seven yrs old and I had him for another seven before he went home to be with my brother and cross the rainbow bridge . Crazy thing ? yes cause I could have gotten shot or in some serious trouble . But with Gods grace I survived .

Old 10-25-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
No regrets, although I wouldn't take the risks again at this stage of my life...

- illegal bungee jump off a train trestle
- sleep overnight in the train yard in Anchorage, AK
- wander the streets of Mexico City after dark
HOLY MOSES!!!! Dang, Girl!!!!

Old 10-25-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well i was just thinking about this the other day . I found a dog running the street once and he got in my truck and i saw his name tag and address on his tag . I drove there and omg !!! The trash laying around and about 40 dogs tied to trees . I removed his collar and his tags and threw them in my trash can and i never ever worried that i had done the wrong thing . I also called animal control and they had a raid at this particular house it was all over the news . Thank god i went there when i did . Do i regret taking that sweet gsd lab mix ? , never in a million years . He was seven yrs old and i had him for another seven before he went home to be with my brother and cross the rainbow bridge . Crazy thing ? Yes cause i could have gotten shot or in some serious trouble . But with gods grace i survived .
excellent!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement