U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 08:57 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times

Advertisements

Well everyone has a theory.

Woman Credits Diet Coke for Living a Long Life -Theresa Rowley Celebrates 104th Birthday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 09:10 PM

11,083 posts, read 12,464,975 times
And there was a guy who said cigars and whiskey was his. I'll take his advice!

Old 01-04-2018, 09:24 PM

11,975 posts, read 5,111,061 times
Another woman said it was bacon. Yes, bacon every day and lots of it.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:33 PM

443 posts, read 281,031 times
The secret to a long life is bad habits. Per Mark Twain:
I can quit any of my nineteen injurious habits at any time, and without discomfort or inconvenience.
Once I tried my scheme in a large medical way. I had been confined to my bed several days with lumbago. My case refused to improve. Finally the doctor said:
"My remedies have no fair chance. Consider what they have to fight, besides the lumbago. You smoke extravagantly, don't you?"
"Yes."
"You take coffee immoderately?"
"Yes."
"And some tea?"
"Yes."
'' You eat all kinds of things that are dissatisfied with each other's company?"
"Yes."
"You drink two hot Scotches every night?"
"Yes."
"Very well, there you see what I have to contend against. We can't make progress the way the matter stands. You must make a reduction in these things; you must cut down your consumption of them considerably for some days."
"I can't, doctor."
"Why can't you?"
''I lack the will-power. I can cut them off entirely, but I can't merely moderate them."
He said that that would answer, and said he would come around in twenty-four hours and begin work again. He was taken ill himself and could not come; but I did not need him. I cut off all those things for two days and nights; in fact, I cut off all kinds of food, too, and all drinks except water, and at the end of the forty-eight hours the lumbago was discouraged and left me. I was a well man; so I gave thanks and took to those delicacies again.
It seemed a valuable medical course, and I recommended it to a lady. She had run down and down and down, and had at last reached a point where medicines no longer had any helpful effect upon her. I said I knew I could put her upon her feet in a week. It brightened her up, it filled her with hope, and she said she would do everything I told her to do. So I said she must stop swearing and drinking and smoking and eating for four days, and then she would be all right again.
And it would have happened just so, I know it; but she said she could not stop swearing and smoking and drinking, because she had never done those things. So there it was. She had neglected her habits, and hadn't any. Now that they would have come good, there were none in stock. She had nothing to fall back on. She was a sinking vessel, with no freight in her to throw overboard and lighten ship withal. Why, even one or two little bad habits could have saved her, but she was just a moral pauper. When she could have acquired them she was dissuaded by her parents, who were ignorant people though reared in the best society, and it was too late to begin now. It seemed such a pity; but there was no help for it. These things ought to be attended to while a person is young; otherwise, when age and disease come, there is nothing effectual to fight them with.

Old 01-05-2018, 04:34 AM

4,833 posts, read 4,947,484 times
This reminds me of a George Burns story. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Burns

At the time, George was about 90.

Interviewer: "George, you smoke cigars, chase women, and drink whisky every day. What does your doctor say about that?"

George: "My doctor is dead."

Old 01-05-2018, 04:41 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,200,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
After 30+ yrs of drinking diet soda, I think I've stopped - I can't remember my last one - I've lost about 25 lbs being off of the stuff (as well as running, exercising, watching diet). I really feel that it caused some of my weight control issues. Happy to be off the stuff. Can't even believe I loaded the stuff onto my grocery cart all those years - what a dummy I was.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:21 AM

13,315 posts, read 25,550,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Another woman said it was bacon. Yes, bacon every day and lots of it.
There you go.
I am promised lots of extra bacon at my retirement breakfast on Jan.23, so I'm good.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:09 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
I never liked the taste of diet soda so no longevity for me there. I'm banking on pizza.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:24 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,153,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I never liked the taste of diet soda so no longevity for me there. I'm banking on pizza.
Same here with regards to diet soda or any soda.

I'm banking on several things: chocolates, fruits, vegetables and wines ;-)

I should live to be at least 100 years old according to all the longevity/lifespan calculators that I have used. I am doing great, no need to change anything like start taking Grape Seed Extract ;-)

Old 01-05-2018, 09:28 AM

519 posts, read 430,543 times
Not pissing off the wrong people equally seems to be a life extending approach.

There are a million of the them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement