Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 12:45 PM

6,277 posts, read 4,149,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I honestly think they both legitimately are at risk for homelessness. We don't have the degree of friendship that I think they are going to ask to live with me, so this isn't from the perspective of self-preservation, but I still wouldn't want to see someone I'm friends with homeless.
This is their choice, so I'd say let it go and stop being sad about something that may not happen and you have no control over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 12:51 PM

24,512 posts, read 18,026,656 times
https://www.fool.com/retirement/2017...ough-reti.aspx
Quote:
By the time you reach age 55, you likely have 15 years or less to go before you retire. That's why it's so troubling that the Federal Reserve's 2016 Survey of Consumer Finances found that workers between the ages of 55 and 64 had an average retirement savings balance of just $135,000, which is not nearly enough to provide the income retirees need to live in comfort and financial security.
2/3 of the country approaching retirement age has a big problem. I just make sure I'm taking care of my own retirement funding. Like most people, I could have done a better job of it. I'm not going to throw rocks at somebody else.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:51 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,470,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Get new friends. The friends who never learned the lessons of the parable of the 3 Little Pigs do not possess good judgment. They do not possess good decision making skills.
ITYM, the ant and the grasshopper.
3LP is about construction standards.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:55 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,921,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
The only thing that I might do, if I were you, is mention some of my retirement plans such as "I am really looking forward to taking a few international vacations with my best friends when I retire" or " I am looking forward being able to try out new restaurants or go to more Broadway shows (or whatever) with my friends" or "I plan to join the country club so I can golf many times per week. Doesn't that sound like fun? Do you want to be part of a regular four-some? "
We have been retired ten years having done so early. The husband and I would talk about we just disagreed and he would always say he wanted to see his kids enjoy his money. He stayed in debt and spent every penny who could. The wife liked to spend and we had the sense she had her shares of bills but there was limited financial conversations when the four of us were together. We had one conversation years ago while the four of us were in the car. He had gone out on disability and was collecting his pension early. We were not yet retired nor was she. She raised the point to my wife about the challenge after being retired with two pensions if one one of us passed. We immediately said we were doing spousal so they would continue. She asked her husband if that was what he had done. He said no and gave a reason. If looks and words could kill!

We knew she had spent most of her workplace savings prior to retirement. Her husband passed last year and she has shared things and is struggling having retired over a year ago. She has a pension and is now paycheck to paycheck she at one point shared what her savings were down to. She has a federal pension, thus no SS.

She was surprised we got three checks a month. She asked us about waiting a month for a check. We explained our schedule. She even said to my wife you are pay check to pay check also aren’t you. My wife said no and nothing else. We had taken her out to lunch and told her as usual our treat. She asked what’s the limit we told her none.

She has no idea and her jaw would drop. She has visited us and seen both places and was probably making faulty assumptions.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:27 PM

10 posts, read 10,238 times
Personally I wouldn't worry about it FOR them, if it was a priority they could try to do something on their own. Maybe they just don't have the money/desire. Who cares, no one is going to be retiring anymore in the country in any real sense except for a minute few percentage wise. This country is going towards policies that will lead to attrition of the old, poor, etc.. They will most likely die before they have to face the reality of 401K and all that other investment crap. Live now, there's likely nothing to look forward too being old and retired anyway. Besides losing your house (if you own one) to a nursing home.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:30 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
This is their choice, so I'd say let it go and stop being sad about something that may not happen and you have no control over.
What are friends for? To plant seeds in one's minds on what is down the road.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:55 PM

314 posts, read 237,349 times
Default ...saving a drowning friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Nope, it's not me. I don't have as much saved as some here seem to have, but from every calculator I've looked at (and I look at them all the time), I'm on track to have a comfortable retirement. Not extravagant but I don't lead an extravagant lifestyle now.

And I think Dave Ramsey is a jerk who gives a lot of bad advice.

But while I do accept I can't change them or their lives, I do worry about my friends and what their futures will hold if they don't make any changes.
Part of being a good friend is grabbing your close friend by the lapels and shouting, "Wake the &**% up!"

I nearly ruined my life when an estranged friend literally took me by the shoulders and screamed in my face that I was about to &**$ my life up. I thank G-d for his boldness and caring enough to wake me up.
I say step to the plate and make it happen. Start off with the words I love you and I have to say this......

Gauge your boldness and method according to their personalities, not convention.

Good luck!

Old 01-05-2018, 01:58 PM

314 posts, read 237,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What are friends for? To plant seeds in one's minds on what is down the road.
...and then let it go. Accepting no action on the part of your friends can be tough.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:09 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,259,488 times
if the topic of retirement, saving, investing comes up in normal conversation, then by all means, talk about what you're doing and offer them info if they seem interested - but wouldn't push the topic or the idea that they're behind the eightball - might come across as preachy

Old 01-05-2018, 02:28 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,501,222 times
well, are they good friends of yours? do you really care deeply about their well being? but even then it would feel kind of weird to interfere, unless your profession is financial planner.
perhaps they want to retire overseas where the SSI goes a long way. perhaps they have money, inheritance, or other property. It doesn't necessarily have to be an 401k. who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement