U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2018, 07:00 PM

23,398 posts, read 28,234,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I am interested in the 72 hour window you have to get antiviral meds from a doctor.
These are the symptoms I found on webmd, but it looks like the rash may not show up until after the 72 hours,
and the pre-rash symptoms of itching, tingling, sound like they could be confused with other things and not think of shingles.

Did most you shingle sufferers get the obvious rash right away?

The symptoms of shingles include: (webmd)

Localized burning, throbbing or stabbing pain where the rash will soon appear (within days to weeks); some people describe it as more itchy. It can be constant or come and go.
Tingling, itching, or prickling skin, followed several days later by a group of fluid-filled blisters on a red, inflamed base of skin; the blisters typically crust over in a week.
The rash may be accompanied by fever, fatigue, or headache.
The 72 hours is from the appearance of the rash. If the medication is started before the rash appears it can possibly even prevent the rash from happening.

The rash looks like chickenpox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
my neighbor got the shingles vaccine and still came down with it..
The original vaccine is only about 50% effective, though people who get shingles despite having been vaccinated may have a less severe episode and lower risk of persistent pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 07:03 PM

23,648 posts, read 8,227,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
my neighbor got the shingles vaccine and still came down with it..
Wonder if and we'll never know would she have gotten shingles without the vaccine. I have no experience with vaccines and know my good neighbor friends both got flu vaccines and the wife was sick for almost 2 weeks and her husband about a week. Hard to know, isn't it.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:03 PM

23,398 posts, read 28,234,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Wonder if and we'll never know would she have gotten shingles without the vaccine. I have no experience with vaccines and know my good neighbor friends both got flu vaccines and the wife was sick for almost 2 weeks and her husband about a week. Hard to know, isn't it.
The shingles vaccine does not cause shingles. Zostavax is about 50% effective. Shingrix is much better, still 85% effective after three years.

The flu vaccine does not cause flu. Your neighbors may have not taken the vaccine in enough time before exposure for it to be effective (it takes at least two weeks); they may have had an illness not even caused by the influenza virus; if they had influenza it may have been a strain not included in the vaccine; or the vaccine may not have worked. If the vaccine did not completely prevent an influenza infection they may have been much sicker without it.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The shingles vaccine does not cause shingles. Zostavax is about 50% effective. Shingrix is much better, still 85% effective after three years.

The flu vaccine does not cause flu. Your neighbors may have not taken the vaccine in enough time before exposure for it to be effective (it takes at least two weeks); they may have had an illness not even caused by the influenza virus; if they had influenza it may have been a strain not included in the vaccine; or the vaccine may not have worked. If the vaccine did not completely prevent an influenza infection they may have been much sicker without it.
I can't imagine how it would feel to speak with such firm convictions on everything.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:20 PM

9,182 posts, read 9,265,199 times
Quote:
I can't imagine how it would feel to speak with such firm convictions on everything.
She can speak with such firm conviction because all of these things have been studied. They've been researched and the research has supplied reliable answers. Some examples:

1. You can't get flu from the flu vaccine because the flu shot is made up of dead virus. Since dead virus can't come to life, you can't catch flu from it. The flu mist is made from an attenuated or weakened virus which is incapable of reproducing. The flu shot is recommended for seniors, so I don't think anyone here is dealing with anything, but dead virus anyway.

2. The incubation time for the flu virus is usually about four days.

3. The influenza vaccine cannot vaccinate against all flu viruses because there are too many. Each year, it is different vaccine based on disease surveillance in the southern hemisphere and educated guesses by researchers.

4. It is also well established that while taking a vaccine does not always prevent you from catching a disease that it tends to make your course of disease more mild.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season...-2017-2018.htm

The flu is not a joking matter. Deaths from the flu range from about 12,000 per year to 56,000 per year. The death rate is highest among seniors.

Last edited by markg91359; 01-07-2018 at 09:34 PM..

Old 01-07-2018, 10:14 PM

4,138 posts, read 1,886,778 times
generally, if you have a weak immune system, the flu will cause less discomfort as a person who has strong immune system.

I suspect the same works for shingles.
I got shingles at 40 (now 67). I got a booster shot at age 60.
It was EXTREMELY painful, lasting a month before peeling of the of the scab.
Residual irritation until I was close to 55.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
She can speak with such firm conviction because all of these things have been studied. They've been researched and the research has supplied reliable answers. Some examples:

1. You can't get flu from the flu vaccine because the flu shot is made up of dead virus. Since dead virus can't come to life, you can't catch flu from it. The flu mist is made from an attenuated or weakened virus which is incapable of reproducing. The flu shot is recommended for seniors, so I don't think anyone here is dealing with anything, but dead virus anyway.

2. The incubation time for the flu virus is usually about four days.

3. The influenza vaccine cannot vaccinate against all flu viruses because there are too many. Each year, it is different vaccine based on disease surveillance in the southern hemisphere and educated guesses by researchers.

4. It is also well established that while taking a vaccine does not always prevent you from catching a disease that it tends to make your course of disease more mild.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season...-2017-2018.htm

The flu is not a joking matter. Deaths from the flu range from about 12,000 per year to 56,000 per year. The death rate is highest among seniors.
Well, thanks. I had a flu in 1957 at age 18 and none since and I don't get vaccines. I do take an antioxidant and I should say I take a couple including Vit C daily. I'm 79 and my immune system does it for me.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:57 PM

44,674 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I am interested in the 72 hour window you have to get antiviral meds from a doctor.
These are the symptoms I found on webmd, but it looks like the rash may not show up until after the 72 hours,
and the pre-rash symptoms of itching, tingling, sound like they could be confused with other things and not think of shingles.

Did most you shingle sufferers get the obvious rash right away?

The symptoms of shingles include: (webmd)

Localized burning, throbbing or stabbing pain where the rash will soon appear (within days to weeks); some people describe it as more itchy. It can be constant or come and go.
Tingling, itching, or prickling skin, followed several days later by a group of fluid-filled blisters on a red, inflamed base of skin; the blisters typically crust over in a week.
The rash may be accompanied by fever, fatigue, or headache.
In retrospect, I had symptoms without the rash for about five days before the rash showed up. I had the throbbing, stabbing pain and itching in a band around my torso for four or five days before the rash. In fact, it was such a deep pain that I wondered if I had damaged a muscle or something somehow. But as soon as the rash appeared, exactly where it had hurt, I thought, "Oh no - SHINGLES." I only had three or four smallish lesions but they were in a line that wrapped around my left hip and waist. Goodness.

It was on a Friday morning that I saw the rash, and I was sitting in the doctor's office within two hours. As soon as I told him about the symptoms, even before he looked at the rash, he said, "Sounds like shingles," and it was. I knew I needed the meds right away which is why I hightailed it to the doctor before the weekend hit.

So I actually had symptoms for about five days but got to the doctor before I had the rash for 72 hours. And the meds were very effective almost immediately. In fact, my husband and I were traveling out of town the next week, and I was worried that I'd be too uncomfortable, because I could barely stand for clothes to even touch me for the few days before the rash and then for a day or two after I went to the doctor, but within less than a week, I was in very little discomfort. Very "manageable" and a minor inconvenience after about three days on the meds.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:59 PM

44,674 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
All I can tell you is that I've never had any sort of adverse reaction to any sort of vaccine. And I get all recommended vaccinations. I am rarely ill at all, not even with the flu.

The few times I've gotten the flu, I didn't get the vaccine. I don't recall ever getting the flu if I had the vaccine, even when it was said to be relatively ineffective. So I don't know what to tell you about your friends, other than they may have already had it in their system. From what my doctor tells me, the vaccine isn't really effective for about a week or so.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All I can tell you is that I've never had any sort of adverse reaction to any sort of vaccine. And I get all recommended vaccinations. I am rarely ill at all, not even with the flu.

The few times I've gotten the flu, I didn't get the vaccine. I don't recall ever getting the flu if I had the vaccine, even when it was said to be relatively ineffective. So I don't know what to tell you about your friends, other than they may have already had it in their system. From what my doctor tells me, the vaccine isn't really effective for about 72 hours.
K.A. That is good, I'm just doing great with the alt protocols I use and avoid doctors offices as best I can. Just how I prefer it now for some 25 yrs.

I do use a good many supplements including powerful antioxidants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or