U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 12:26 PM

28,231 posts, read 39,866,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The theory from the article is that the more you are exposed to the chicken pox virus, the less chance you have of getting shingles. It used to be that you got the chicken pox as a child and then were exposed to it still on a regular basis after that.
Since the virus is no longer common and people aren't being exposed to it throughout their lives, your chances of getting shingles increases. This is due to people being immunized against the virus. It's not out there much, so people aren't exposed to it very much anymore.
Bottom line I think is that everyone's immune system is different. Your daughters immune system wasn't working very well at the time for whatever reason.
And you are ignoring the post about the occurrence of shingles in countries where they do not get vaccinates against it.

Convenient, no?

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 01-09-2018 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Thinking back to my very early life, we only got the DTP vaccination to get into first grade...the chicken pox vaccine didn't come into place until 1984 or so. My DTP was in the mid 40's when I went to first grade.

Perhaps my chances to NOT get shingles are BETTER since I went thru chicken pox at early age. Just talking to my neighbor who is in his 40's and we were talking about this and he pointed to a fine scar from a pox mark as he had chicken pox too.

Who knows the truth about all this stuff. The truth I say.
I had chicken pox and had shingles.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:30 PM

[quote=Jo48;50639391]
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

I am glad the gabapentin worked for you and sorry you can no longer take it. Perhaps there will be something else in the future that will help.

Especially if such sites want to sell you something to treat shingles. After all, if you do not get shingles they do not make any money.

Younger age at the time of chickenpox infection increases the risk of shingles.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pi.../varicella.pdf

"Herpes zoster, or shingles, occurs when latent VZV [varicella zoster virus] reactivates and causes recurrent disease. The immunologic mechanism that controls latency of VZV is not well understood. However, factors associated with recurrent disease include aging, immunosuppression, intrauterine exposure to VZV, and having had varicella at a young age (younger than 18 months)."

The infectious disease experts know "the truth about all this stuff."

The fact is that the incidence of herpes zoster is increasing in countries that do not routinely vaccinate against chickenpox. The theory that re-exposure to the virus reduces the risk of shingles has holes in it.

The factors that allow the virus to reactivate are not well understood.

Instead of not immunizing children against chickenpox and allowing them to get a disease that has potentially severe side effects and sometimes kills, adults should take the zoster vaccine, especially since Shingrix is now available.[/QUOTE

My daughter had chicken pox at 11 years old. Got shingles at 38. I had chicken pox at 7 months old. Now 69. Almost 30 years older than her. So much for your science of before 18 months. lol Not random individuals, Suzy, my own child. Must be all of my superhuman "luck" once again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
This is contradiction to actual data below. My daughter had chicken pox when she was very young. It did not 'protect' her from getting shingles later in her 20's.

https://www.livescience.com/45804-ch...-shingles.html
Assuming the numbers (for anything) are always correct is a fools errand.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Those pawns of the Devil, the CDC, think the death toll from the flu could be even higher than that among seniors and the chronically ill. The flu weakens them enough so that they die from a different cause, which is the one that is reported.
Quote:
Those pawns of the Devil, the CDC,
I think the Conspiracy Theories forum will welcome you with open arms.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I have yet to hear any of these pro-vaccine, pro-pharmacology posters, provide evidence that the tens of millions of people who were dying due to diseases and epidemics that would run rampant through the world's population; would have been saved solely by vaccines.
Polio. I had polio. You don't want Polio. Polio has been eradicated through the use of vaccines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poliomyelitis_eradication

Something we no longer see thanks to an aggessive, worldwide vaccination program.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Smite. The Alt-Med gods smite you.

Probably with a celery stick.
A jar of grape extract, I would think. (Yes, my tongue is in my cheek)

Edit: Lol at the rep I got.

Quote:
More immature comments..never ends.
Some people wouldn't recognize humor if it stuck them with a needle...

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 01-09-2018 at 01:27 PM..

Old 01-09-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
MANY peorple do both, I do. But Far more non prescription drugs. My choice after many yrs on this earth and living thru damages of some drugs. But there is a group, here, who are so ANTI alt med, it's unbelievable and they do everything in their power to discredit others who go the alt route for their health and healing. Many against alt med actually make fun of posts from those who go this route. To me that is so immature. My grandkids wouldn't even make FUN of others and what they do.
Yes they would. If you really believe what you just posted your credibility is sinking faster than the Titanic.

You and I have butted heads on this subject. Hopefully more in a teasing manner than outright nasty. So you know I've tried a lot of what you recommend. None of it worked for me. I do take vitamins and supplements, and I can assure you that has lessened the occurrence of colds and flu, and probably things I don't know about since I don't get them.

But there are problems I have that aren't helped by these methods any more than they are by the drugs doctors recommend.

Health care is not a one stop shop, and not all people respond to the same treatments the same way.

Every year (into my 40's) I had horrendous flu. Why has it changed? I have no idea. Epicor perhaps?

BTW, have you looked at Epicor? We've been taking it for years. I swear it works. The effects it has were found during a routine insurance audit at Diamond Labs in Iowa. There was a set of twins that worked there and they both had that degenerative eye disease I can never remember the name of. She worked in the office and he worked in the plant. His degeneration stopped, and hers continued. It was found that the office workers were sick much more often then the plant workers. They found that the yeast they gave to cattle as a supplement was the reason.

You never know when or where an interesting discovery will come about.

And I hope I have that story correct. it's been many years since I read it.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 01-09-2018 at 01:24 PM..

Old 01-09-2018, 01:15 PM

4,923 posts, read 2,272,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
It is estimated that small pox used to kill about 400,000 people a year in the 19th Century. Today, the disease has been totally eradicated from the Earth due to aggressive vaccination. Small pox was not eliminated due to better hygiene. It had nothing to do with contaminated water or food. Transmission of the disease occurred through person to person contact. It was extremely common in cities, among armies, and among the crews of ships at sea.

In the modern era, use of the pertussis or whooping cough vaccine saves approximately 8,000 people a year from dying. These are mostly children. Hygiene has no effect on the way this disease is spread it is essentially transmitted the same way the common cold is.

Polio has been eradicated from the western hemisphere. This disease use to kill over 3,000 people a year in the USA alone. The irony about polio is that the rate of those catching the disease was increasing in the 1950's despite better hygiene practices. Hygiene improved all during the 1950's yet the number of cases of polio increased prior to introduction of the vaccine.

Diptheria claimed 21,000 lives a year in America prior to the introduction of the diptheria vaccine in the 1920's. Today there are a bare handful of diptheria cases in the entire USA.

Your simply wrong. Instead of spreading incorrect information, you should admit it. Vaccines are not perfect. However, they are an enormous medical success story.
How can I be wrong about something I can't ... and didn't ... assert?

I didn't say vaccines have not contributed to the eradication of these diseases; to say so would be ludicrous & it would fly in the face of the scientific data we have available.

My point is that we have never controlled for other variables that could contribute to altered epidemiology. At least; not to my knowledge & not that I've been able to find. My comment was not a rhetorical question as much as it was literal.

Vaccines have definitely saved lives. But to say that vaccines can take the credit, unshared; for "saving tens of millions of lives"? Is wrong.

I mean; if they can ... they can. Do we know that yet? Would it even be possible to hypothesize what the epidemiology today may look like; had we developed every available medical advancement ... except ... vaccines?

For example; you mention Pertussis.

Pertussis is highly contagious & is transmitted via airborne droplets or by direct contact with infected throat or nasal discharges.

The vaccine to prevent Pertussis was in widespread use by the late 1940s as combined in the DTP, as a whole-cell vaccine administered in a series of 4 doses. Pre-vaccine cases in the U.S. were around 200,000/year but reached a low of 1,010 cases in 1976. In the 1980s, the number of cases of pertussis started to increase & it has been suggested that this was due to concerns about adverse events that led to lower immunization uptake. In 1991 it was reformulated as an acellular preparation in an effort to address those concerns.

But we cannot state, as a fact, that it was lower vaccine uptake that contributed to this increase in rates, because there is insufficient data regarding unvaccinated vs under-vaccinated vs fully vaccinated & actual verified Pertussis diagnosis vs ruled-out for Pertussis cases.

Simple developments such as anti-bacterial soaps, hand sanitizers, isolation & barriers such as masks had evolved inbetween the 1940's-1970's & Universal Precautions was introduced as a concept by the CDC in 1987.

And that's just the epidemiology regarding incidence.

The epidemiology regarding mortality has been even more dramatically affected by advances in treatment options, such as the antibiotics azithromycin, clarithromycin, and erythromycin. Supplemental oxygen. Albuterol. IV fluids.

In the absence of diagnostic & immunization coverage data ... combined with the knowledge of prevention & treatment measures: Do we know what contribution vaccines alone have made to the changing epidemiology of Pertussis?

Because I sure don't. I believe vaccines were a "major player" but to assert that they saved "tens of millions of lives" is spreading misinformation. I have not.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:21 PM

23,636 posts, read 8,219,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Yes they would. If you really believe what you just posted your credibility is sinking faster than the Titanic.

You and I have butted heads on this subject. Hopefully more in a teasing manner than outright nasty. So you know I've tried a lot of what you recommend. None of it worked for me. I do take vitamins and supplements, and I can assure you that has lessened the occurrence of colds and flu, and probably things I don't know about since I don't get them.

But there are problems I have that aren't helped by these methods any more than they are by the drugs doctors recommend.

Health care is not a one stop shop, and not all people respond to the same treatments the same way.
(into my 40's) I had horrendous flu every year. Why has it changed? I have no idea. Epicor perhaps?

BTW, have you looked at Epicor? We've been taking it for years. I swear it works. The effects it has were found during a routine insurance audit at Diamond Labs in Iowa. There was a set of twins that worked there and they both had that degenerative eye disease I can never remember the name of. She worked in the office and he worked in the plant. His degeneration stopped, and hers continued. It was found that the office workers were sick much more often then the plant workers. They found that the yeast they gave to cattle as a supplement was the reason.

You never know when or where an interesting discovery will come about.

And I hope I have that story correct. it's been many years since I read it.
On the chicken pox and shingles, I had chicken pox in the 1940's and never had shingles and no vaccine. So as some have said here: it's all luck -- so I'll go with that, too much stuff to try to prove anything, and some here keep trying to prove.

I've heard of Epicor but no reason to try it. Grape Seed Extract has been saving me so far. And magnesium and Vit D3/K2. I've had no flu since 1957 at age 18...maybe a slight one somewhere in the middle of the years, but not significant...so for me I believe it's grape seed ex.

We all pick and choose and hope to find what works for us.

BTW: My computer is semi fixed but power button is still an issue. I may be buying a new desktop in the not far away future.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:30 PM

3,373 posts, read 3,781,240 times
In the argument of whether having chicken pox as a child makes you more or less likely to get shingles as an older adult, the chicken pox wasn't available until after 1994. Therefore people who received the vaccine are now in their mid-twenties. How can we know receiving the vaccine makes you more or less likely to get shingles later in life?? The reverse is also true. If you have shingles now, and you're older than 25, you didn't have the vaccine.
BTW, I have always heard having chicken pox made you MORE likely to get shingles, I had never heard/read the opposite until this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or