U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 08:52 PM

44,691 posts, read 36,132,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Most of this group is pro-traditional medicine, apparently.

It's hard for me to comprehend that many people don't do more research and just jump on the advertising propaganda.

These drugs are really toxic. No joke at all. Check the side-effects!

There are metaphysical reasons for any disease. You can look up those reasons online.

Shingles, I believe, is caused by stress and there are probably some unprocessed and repressed anger/rage issues.

You can keep yourself pretty healthy by processing emotional issues, tapping (EFT) on old traumas, keeping your immune system strong, eating healthy, etc. Not a guarantee, but a good basis for health.
OMG. Blame the victim much?

Life carries stress with it and sometimes it is UNAVOIDABLE.

My dad died about a year ago. I inherited, not only his wife with dementia (my mom) but also the closing of a large estate and business that spanned two states. I won't bore anyone with the details but let's just say that it involved a LOT of stress and that this stress was not my fault and it was also pretty unavoidable.

So yeah - I had chicken pox as a kid and yeah, at age 55 I got shingles to add to my stress. Probably because of the stress.

People have issues they have to deal with and some of those issues are very stressful and some of them are not their fault. I'm pretty sure my dad didn't expect to die suddenly and well before his "time." I'm pretty sure he didn't intend to leave me with a mom with dementia, lawyers, CPAs, tax returns (business and personal), a real estate sale only half completed, a house to clean out and sell, a mom to settle into a memory care facility, etc etc etc.

I didn't have "uprocessed and repressed anger issues." I had current and very "appropriately responded to" anger issues. I went to counseling. I was blessed with not only a counselor, but also a bevy of attorneys, CPAs, doctors and other professionals who were able to guide me through all this. But it was still stressful - and I still got shingles. Yes, with plenty of resources, a healthy and intelligent outlook and approach to the whole situation, helpful counseling, money to pay for everything, and a mom who was surprisingly cooperative - it was all still very stressful and I still got shingles.

Life happens. Sometimes shingles happen. In spite of supplements, yoga, counseling, a healthy marriage, etc.

Know the symptoms and get help quickly if you come down with shingles - that's my advice. And I will be getting the vaccine from here on out. Along with taking my supplements, exercising, eating well, trying to lead a balanced life, etc. Because I've learned that in spite of all we try to do, life is sometimes stressful and messy and we get sick sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 09:06 PM

23,399 posts, read 28,242,738 times
Quote:

It's hard for me to comprehend that many people don't do more research and just jump on the advertising propaganda.

There are metaphysical reasons for any disease. You can look up those reasons online.

Shingles, I believe, is caused by stress and there are probably some unprocessed and repressed anger/rage issues.

You can keep yourself pretty healthy by processing emotional issues, tapping (EFT) on old traumas, keeping your immune system strong, eating healthy, etc. Not a guarantee, but a good basis for health.
Many of us of retirement age are old enough to remember what vaccine-preventable diseases can do, including one poster in this thread who had polio.

Vaccines are not "really toxic". They just aren't. The diseases they prevent can maim and kill, though.

Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus. No "metaphysical reasons" involved. Just a viral infection that can make you very miserable. Stress may trigger the reactivation of the virus, but not everyone who gets it has been experiencing unusual stress.

You can do your best with "processing emotional issues, tapping (EFT) on old traumas, keeping your immune system strong, eating healthy, etc." and still get shingles.

The new vaccine has a 90% effectiveness rate, appears not to wane off as fast as the original vaccine, and has demonstrated an excellent safety profile in testing.

You may "EFT" all you want to. I will take the vaccine.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:10 AM

4,431 posts, read 2,608,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Ok, not necessarily in that order. Just wanted to tie up a a few loose ends. Not really, just wanted to spout off a bit.

First, I want to comment regarding this thing that almost "done me in", the shingles. After being clobbered with this before Christmas, two different rounds of medication, I am much better, even the rash is dang near all gone. For sure, I will get the new injections Shingrix. This is a thing you don't want to get if you absolutely can do something about it.

Next, my smartphone, I noticed right away that this thing was using up the battery every 24 hours. I put up with it for a while, then, I felt that was ridiculous. I went on settings and found I could change to Power saver mode, I did this, but, the result was disappointing. The other day I had to run some errands and grabbed my phone and saw it was down to 20%, so I went back to settings and changed it to ultra power saving mode, now that had a great effect, I will leave it that way for a while.

Ok, that is my attempt for today. Peace be with you all!
First I agree on shingles. I had the chicken pox as a kid, then had herpes zoster ( shingles, and NOT to be confused with genital herpes) at the grand age of 17. It was nasty and on the back of my neck, which meant every tag in every shirt and every collar bothered, itched, scratched and burned the shingles. My mother had a topical to apply as I could not and antibiotics if I recall or other medications. I would not want to get it again!
I've had the zostra vax vaccine.

Second, how old is your cell phone? And can the battery be replaced? And lastly this will sound stupid, but how do you treat the battery/ charging?
If you put it on the charger overnight, for example, and it's done charging in 3 hours, but you or leave it in charge for 8, you're overcharged by 5 hours and that can shorten the battery life. It doesn't stop the charging process just when the battery is full. Thst wears on the battery.
Second I was told on my first smart phone batteries are lasting about 2 years, I got 3 years on a non replacible battery, and was told that was excellent.
Also, charge it from different drain levels. I'm at 6 0% NOW and will charge when I get down to 30% or so tomorrow. I could charge now, but 60% i s a common leveling at at the end of the day for me. Charging constantly from the same drain point doesn't help the battery apparently I was told.
Lastly, as you noted you can change the usage level. Many apps drain batteries in the background and setting to lower usage. But the other things can help.

Che k to see if you can replace your battery, if not, it might be time for new phone. Sad but true.

Hope this helps others to see the shingles vaccine IS something they want.

And I hope it helps with your battery issue. The info I was gibmven could be wrong, though. But I've found charging only to 100 % from different levels and NOT leaving it charge beyond reaching 100% had indeed helped this battery last long(er).

Good luck everybody....

Old 01-10-2018, 03:36 AM

972 posts, read 603,846 times
Quote:

I have been an R.N. for 40 years and midway through my career after attending a lecture on various complimentary modalities I jumped into the world of all things complimentary healthcare with both feet. I went onto to get certifications to practice Reiki, Therapeutic Touch, etc., and of all these modalities what really captured my interest was clinical aromatherapy. I believe I was one of the first R.N.s in this country to hold International certification as a clinical aromatherapy practitioner.

During this time I had also taken several courses given by a local ND. He happened to have a radio talk show that I listened to faithfully ever Saturday because I wanted to absorb every bit of knowledge that I could regarding all things natural healthcare. As time progressed listening to this doctor I began to notice that his time on the air was spent more in discrediting everything allopathic than extending his knowledge about the benefits of complimentary healthcare practices especially related to disease prevention where I believed complimentary practices had their greatest benefit. I eventually stopped listening to this doctor because of his strong stance against anything allopathic which IMO was only causing more of a division between complimentary and allopathic healthcare because being a practitioner of both I believed there was a place for both in healthcare.

A few months after I stopped listening to this doctor for the heck of it I tuned in one Saturday to see if maybe he toned it down a bit. There happened to be another host speaking on the show, and after of few minutes of listening to this host I would find out that the doctor had a massive stoke, came pretty close to death, and was currently in a rehab hospital trying to gain back the function he had lost as a result of the stroke.

Over the course of a year I continued to listen to this show which was a series of pretty interesting guest speakers each week. Then the day came when the doctor who had the stroke was back on the air hosting the show. As he began speaking I noticed immediately his tone was very different. He went on to share all about his stroke experience, and he could not praise more the allopathic doctors who used all that was in their allopathic arsenal of potent drugs to save his life because his blood pressure was so high bringing it down safely without causing even more harm was no easy task. I nearly fell off my chair when he began to relay that he was very wrong in his beliefs that all allopathic healthcare practices were harmful which came as a result of his own recent experiences with it because previously his personal experience was minimal and really not enough to be such as harsh judge of it. He ended the show stating that he was now committed to bridging the gap between allopathic and complimentary healthcare, and it would begin the next week as he was invited by the allopathic physicians who provided his hospital care to speak to a group of physicians as they had a great interest in learning about his naturopathic practice modalities.

And today nearly 30 years later I do believe this naturopathic doctor who has since retired did accomplish his goal in my small area of the country because many of these complimentary healthcare practices are being offered locally in conventional healthcare settings. And that gap has certainly narrowed even at the VA clinic I work at as several of the physicians have become certified to perform acupuncture and are utilizing it for pain management and having some significant positive patient outcomes.

I have no problem with people sharing their positive experiences they have had in utilizing non traditional health care practices for disease prevention and health maintenance, but when one employs in their promotion of these practices fear mongering to discredit all allopathic practices that I have a problem with. And the reason being is I have had personal experience with people who had very serious health issues that were beyond the ability to be treated by complimentary practices, and because they listened to someone or read something about the harmful effects of allopathic treatments even exploring allopathic treatment options caused them more fear than the serious health issue they were having. And sadly, some lost their lives as a result of not seeking the appropriate medical attention which in some cases a course of antibiotics to treat an infection that went septic that took their lives those antibiotics could have very possibly saved their lives had fear of allopathic healthcare not delayed them to seek appropriate medical attention when treatment would have be most effective. Had that naturopathic doctor who hated everything and anything allopathic not come to his senses and sought appropriate medical attention while he was having a massive stoke he would not be here today.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:20 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,153,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
I have been an R.N. for 40 years and midway through my career after attending a lecture on various complimentary modalities I jumped into the world of all things complimentary healthcare with both feet.

I have no problem with people sharing their positive experiences they have had in utilizing non traditional health care practices for disease prevention and health maintenance, but when one employs in their promotion of these practices fear mongering to discredit all allopathic practices that I have a problem with. And the reason being is I have had personal experience with people who had very serious health issues that were beyond the ability to be treated by complimentary practices, and because they listened to someone or read something about the harmful effects of allopathic treatments even exploring allopathic treatment options caused them more fear than the serious health issue they were having. And sadly, some lost their lives as a result of not seeking the appropriate medical attention which in some cases a course of antibiotics to treat an infection that went septic that took their lives those antibiotics could have very possibly saved their lives had fear of allopathic healthcare not delayed them to seek appropriate medical attention when treatment would have be most effective.
A very well-stated and outstanding post! Your post should be a sticky in the Alt Med forum.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:35 AM

23,668 posts, read 8,235,451 times
Nightengale22

I read most of your story and absorbed it pretty well. I'm 79 and for the last 25 yrs have been into functional medicine/holistic healing. I see only an integrative MD and if need be she writes BP meds and my thyroid...those are 2 meds.

Back in the 80's I ended up in the ER from a stomach ulcer due to pharma drug. That is when my NEW Path began.

I have three good friends who have nursing degrees and all 3 are very very into complimentary medicine and do take some allopathic meds. 2 ended up with afib and my thoughts have always been they were NOT taking ENOUGH magnesium over the years...they took some but not what the body needed. No heart MD ever told them that, they were plunked with a lot of heart meds...and now do so much to work to get off those meds.

A radio MD I hear in LA every weekend, does PRP and Stem Cells and he originally started out wanting to be a surgeon. After a botched shoulder surgery, he changed his tune. He calls surgeons very very important doctors but believes TOO MANY elective surgeries are done. That's where the PRP and Stem Cells come in, and he's been a leader here for 20 yrs. Teaches this type healing at UCLA to doctors from all over.

There is plenty of room for all healing modalities and to allow people to choose what they do. What I find and especially here, so much bashing of complimentary medicine. To these people, it's got to be one way only.

Thanks for your story.

PS: On the shingles issue, it just never entered my mind to get the vaccine. I've had chicken pox as a kid but to date no issues. I keep a strong immune system with all the complimentary supps I take.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-10-2018 at 11:04 AM..

Old 01-10-2018, 10:45 AM

4,813 posts, read 1,832,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OMG. Blame the victim much?

Life carries stress with it and sometimes it is UNAVOIDABLE.

My dad died about a year ago. I inherited, not only his wife with dementia (my mom) but also the closing of a large estate and business that spanned two states. I won't bore anyone with the details but let's just say that it involved a LOT of stress and that this stress was not my fault and it was also pretty unavoidable.

So yeah - I had chicken pox as a kid and yeah, at age 55 I got shingles to add to my stress. Probably because of the stress.

People have issues they have to deal with and some of those issues are very stressful and some of them are not their fault. I'm pretty sure my dad didn't expect to die suddenly and well before his "time." I'm pretty sure he didn't intend to leave me with a mom with dementia, lawyers, CPAs, tax returns (business and personal), a real estate sale only half completed, a house to clean out and sell, a mom to settle into a memory care facility, etc etc etc.

I didn't have "uprocessed and repressed anger issues." I had current and very "appropriately responded to" anger issues. I went to counseling. I was blessed with not only a counselor, but also a bevy of attorneys, CPAs, doctors and other professionals who were able to guide me through all this. But it was still stressful - and I still got shingles. Yes, with plenty of resources, a healthy and intelligent outlook and approach to the whole situation, helpful counseling, money to pay for everything, and a mom who was surprisingly cooperative - it was all still very stressful and I still got shingles.

Life happens. Sometimes shingles happen. In spite of supplements, yoga, counseling, a healthy marriage, etc.

Know the symptoms and get help quickly if you come down with shingles - that's my advice. And I will be getting the vaccine from here on out. Along with taking my supplements, exercising, eating well, trying to lead a balanced life, etc. Because I've learned that in spite of all we try to do, life is sometimes stressful and messy and we get sick sometimes.
It's not a "blame the victim" assessment - but a "take responsibility and look at the big picture" perspective.

And, re: stress - of course it is current - an accumulation - some people have not processed old traumas, which can be triggered and create more adverse effects.

My main point was that people run to the doctor with ailments and then take toxic drugs to "fix" the ailment - the entire time the core reason for the illness has not been looked at - some people with shingles probably don't even comprehend that it could be caused by stress.

The "cures" (the toxic drugs) do have side-effects, which are not usually considered (either by the doctors or the patients).

And yes, we all have stressors - but if we can be more mindful about handling the stress (maybe we can't do everything - maybe we need to get assistance or say "no" once in awhile or get a massage or get more pedicures, or take more naps or take vitamin B or, or, or . . . there are lots of things we can do. We don't have to be victims) and sometimes we will get sick but there are natural remedies for most every ailment and emotional health is a component in disease . . .

Old 01-10-2018, 10:58 AM

4,813 posts, read 1,832,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
MANY people do both, I do. But Far more non prescription drugs. My choice after many yrs on this earth and living thru damages of some drugs. But there is a group, here, who are so ANTI alt med, it's unbelievable and they do everything in their power to discredit others who go the alt route for their health and healing. Many against alt med actually make fun of posts from those who go this route. To me that is so immature. My grandkids wouldn't even make FUN of others and what they do.
It's a misnomer that "alt med" is the term for natural remedies. Natural remedies were the ORIGINAL healing methods that have been co-opted by synthetic, laboratory created drugs. The term "complimentary medicine" is also marginalizing of original medicine, which was common sense and plant-based remedies. Not hocus-pocus . . .

The "old wives tale" remedies are now losing some of the stigma that goes with anything "woman" created.

There are political reasons that powerful women and their remedies were marginalized (and the wise medicine women (with remedies passed down through the ages) were labeled "witches" and killed). It's not a small thing, but it sure has been forgotten, and along with the history, the remedies have been pushed to the side.

Smart people will take responsibility for their own health and well-being and will consider everything in their analysis of why they are sick and what natural remedies are available to restore them to health.

The pro-drug people here are outrageous and have a lot of time and energy and take up a lot of space.

We should all just become agents of our own well-being and think of doctors as sometimes needed consultants, not gods (they're more drug pushers today anyway).

Old 01-10-2018, 11:21 AM

23,399 posts, read 28,242,738 times
Quote:
It's not a "blame the victim" assessment - but a "take responsibility and look at the big picture" perspective.

And, re: stress - of course it is current - an accumulation - some people have not processed old traumas, which can be triggered and create more adverse effects.

My main point was that people run to the doctor with ailments and then take toxic drugs to "fix" the ailment - the entire time the core reason for the illness has not been looked at - some people with shingles probably don't even comprehend that it could be caused by stress.

The "cures" (the toxic drugs) do have side-effects, which are not usually considered (either by the doctors or the patients).

And yes, we all have stressors - but if we can be more mindful about handling the stress (maybe we can't do everything - maybe we need to get assistance or say "no" once in awhile or get a massage or get more pedicures, or take more naps or take vitamin B or, or, or . . . there are lots of things we can do. We don't have to be victims) and sometimes we will get sick but there are natural remedies for most every ailment and emotional health is a component in disease . . .
Shingles is not "caused by stress". It is caused by a virus. The virus is the "core reason" for shingles.

"Handling stress" will not guarantee that you will not get shingles.

If you get shingles and take medication for it, the severity and duration of illness can be mitigated and perhaps postherpetic neuralgia can be prevented.

The new vaccine greatly reduces the risk of getting shingles and getting postherpetic neuralgia - regardless of how much stress you are under.

The drugs used to treat shingles are not "toxic" and most people who take them do not have any serious side effects. The same medications are used to treat herpes infections, including herpes in newborns. They are very safe. The doctors who prescribe them are very aware of their safety profile and side effects.

No, there are not "natural remedies for most every ailment". That includes shingles. There is nothing that will eliminate the chickenpox virus from the body once the infection happens. No vitamins, no herbs, no amount of meditation or "stress reduction".

Old 01-10-2018, 11:54 AM

23,668 posts, read 8,235,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Shingles is not "caused by stress". It is caused by a virus. The virus is the "core reason" for shingles.

"Handling stress" will not guarantee that you will not get shingles.

If you get shingles and take medication for it, the severity and duration of illness can be mitigated and perhaps postherpetic neuralgia can be prevented.

The new vaccine greatly reduces the risk of getting shingles and getting postherpetic neuralgia - regardless of how much stress you are under.

The drugs used to treat shingles are not "toxic" and most people who take them do not have any serious side effects. The same medications are used to treat herpes infections, including herpes in newborns. They are very safe. The doctors who prescribe them are very aware of their safety profile and side effects.

No, there are not "natural remedies for most every ailment". That includes shingles. There is nothing that will eliminate the chickenpox virus from the body once the infection happens. No vitamins, no herbs, no amount of meditation or "stress reduction".

STRESS is the trigger. I saw it in my friend, only one I know who had shingles, and STRESS comes up everywhere where shingles is discussed.

Thank goodness I have the smarts and have been using Family of B vitamins for years...could be keeping the shingles trigger from my body. B's are the calming vitamins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or