U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-10-2018, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
23,399 posts, read 28,242,738 times
Reputation: 28974

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
STRESS is the trigger. I saw it in my friend, only one I know who had shingles, and STRESS comes up everywhere where shingles is discussed.

Thank goodness I have the smarts and have been using Family of B vitamins for years...could be keeping the shingles trigger from my body. B's are the calming vitamins.
Stress is a trigger, not the only trigger.

Do you have a credible scientific source with evidence that taking B vitamins will prevent shingles? No alt med websites, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-10-2018, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,691 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Reputation: 63251
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
STRESS is the trigger. I saw it in my friend, only one I know who had shingles, and STRESS comes up everywhere where shingles is discussed.

Thank goodness I have the smarts and have been using Family of B vitamins for years...could be keeping the shingles trigger from my body. B's are the calming vitamins.
Interesting. I take and have been taking (for years) a B combo vitamin and still got shingles.

And I "handled' the stress - in fact, I think I handled it better than many people would - but it was still stress and I still got shingles.

I did, however, apparently get a mild version of them, and also I got to the doctor within 72 hours of the rash showing up, so I think between having good health going into it (possibly in part from taking supplements), a healthy attitude even in the midst of stress, and a good doctor who jumped on the situation aggressively, I really got lucky and was basically symptom free within a week to ten days max.

I always encourage people to eat well, take some pertinent supplements, manage their stress levels -and take advantage of the positives of modern medicine when necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2018, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Southern California
23,668 posts, read 8,235,451 times
Reputation: 15439
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Stress is a trigger, not the only trigger.

Do you have a credible scientific source with evidence that taking B vitamins will prevent shingles? No alt med websites, please.
I DID NOT say it prevents shingles, did I? The B's calm the body/system and hence calms any stresses that hit us. I've had my share in my long life. SQ, why do you insist on twisting words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2018, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Southern California
23,668 posts, read 8,235,451 times
Reputation: 15439
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting. I take and have been taking (for years) a B combo vitamin and still got shingles.

And I "handled' the stress - in fact, I think I handled it better than many people would - but it was still stress and I still got shingles.

I did, however, apparently get a mild version of them, and also I got to the doctor within 72 hours of the rash showing up, so I think between having good health going into it (possibly in part from taking supplements), a healthy attitude even in the midst of stress, and a good doctor who jumped on the situation aggressively, I really got lucky and was basically symptom free within a week to ten days max.

I always encourage people to eat well, take some pertinent supplements, manage their stress levels -and take advantage of the positives of modern medicine when necessary.
The complex products contain low amounts of the B's...I've been taking separate higher doses of B's...for years...if these are my answers who knows, but I know what I take and I know I've had plenty of stress and no shingles...no vaccine. Perhaps I'm just lucky. I have been taking Inositol for years and it's from the B family of B vits.

Change one's mind chemistry with Meditation. 8-10 minutes every day can bring on dramatic changes. People in the U.S. poo poo this ancient old mind work. I wonder how many buddists have shingles.


I've been taking both these (horrid) calmers for years.

https://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/t...sitol-and-gaba


http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-inositol.htm

Post 47 here talks about shingles.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-10-2018 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2018, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
23,399 posts, read 28,242,738 times
Reputation: 28974
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I DID NOT say it prevents shingles, did I? The B's calm the body/system and hence calms any stresses that hit us. I've had my share in my long life. SQ, why do you insist on twisting words.
You said, "Thank goodness I have the smarts and have been using Family of B vitamins for years... could be keeping the shingles trigger from my body. B's are the calming vitamins."

I did not "twist" anything. You clearly think B vitamins can prevent you from getting shingles. I asked if you have any scientific evidence that B vitamins can prevent shingles, whether by "calming" or not. I take it that you do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2018, 01:29 PM
 
7,332 posts, read 4,441,456 times
Reputation: 8972
Shingles has run through three generations of my family. My mother had a very severe case in her late 50s (she had to be hospitalized, her case was so bad), I got it in my early 50s and two years ago, my daughter, who is in her 20's, had it as well.

After my daughter got it, I did some research and found a few medical research studies that suggested that some people may have a genetic pre-disposition to getting Shingles. Nothing conclusive, but the way it's echo-ed through my family makes me inclined to believe it.

By the way, it seems that you can have the genetic pre-disposition but still never get Shingles if your body's immune system isn't activated. And, while there is some evidence to suggest that stress can play a role in that, there are also OTHER factors that can as well, such as aging and other underlying health issues.

But all of the studies I read made it clear that this possible genetic pre-disposition does not account for ALL cases of shingles. Anyone can get shingles if other factors affecting your immune system are lined up right.

After I had shingles, I had no hesitation in getting the vaccine, even though my doctor said that the odds of getting it again were small. I never want to go through that again so even if it only reduces my chances, I'm getting it.

And, my daughter also was vaccinated after having it, even though she is only in her 20s and will have to get re-vaccinated throughout her life to keep up her immunity. She is planning to start a family soon and wanted to make sure that there was as little chance as possible of getting shingles again while pregnant or while her kids were young. Her doctor agreed with her that it was a good idea in her case, since she had Shingles so young and had a clear family history of being more pre-disposed to it.

Last edited by RosieSD; 01-10-2018 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2018, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Southern California
23,668 posts, read 8,235,451 times
Reputation: 15439
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You said, "Thank goodness I have the smarts and have been using Family of B vitamins for years... could be keeping the shingles trigger from my body. B's are the calming vitamins."

I did not "twist" anything. You clearly think B vitamins can prevent you from getting shingles. I asked if you have any scientific evidence that B vitamins can prevent shingles, whether by "calming" or not. I take it that you do not.
There it goes again, telling me what I think.

I believe everything I take COULD BE keeping me from shingles.

I believe too that grape seed extract keeps my immune system strong and keeps many possible health issues away. Grape seed ex contains anti viral, anti bacterial, anti fungal properties.

But of course, from where you come, supplements are bogus. Or am I putting words in your mouth, but that's what I've been hearing from you for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2018, 02:39 PM
 
28,237 posts, read 39,879,137 times
Reputation: 36735
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
STRESS is the trigger. I saw it in my friend, only one I know who had shingles, and STRESS comes up everywhere where shingles is discussed.

Thank goodness I have the smarts and have been using Family of B vitamins for years...could be keeping the shingles trigger from my body. B's are the calming vitamins.
Stress is not the trigger. When I came down with shingles in 2009 I was the most stress free person you could possibly imagine. I had a fantastic marriage, my own business (which was a dream come true), and I was as happy as one can be.

Stress? No.

I asked three doctors what caused shingles to flare up. My favorite answer?

"If I knew I would go on a speaking tour and make more money than I'll ever make as a doctor."

They all agreed stress can be a factor, but to point at it as the cause of a flareup. No.

I've been taking B vitamins for 40 years. Didn't do a thing to prevent shingles.

Of course stress (or STRESS) comes up in every conversation. Once you have shingles you are STRESSED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2018, 03:12 PM
 
Location: planet earth
4,813 posts, read 1,832,844 times
Reputation: 10700
If anyone is open minded and curious, put "metaphysical reasons for shingles" in the most popular search engine and do some reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2018, 03:29 PM
 
Location: PNW
2,474 posts, read 904,009 times
Reputation: 8312
I'm getting my shingles shot this weekend. Already got my flu shot, which I have taken annually since 1987 (works for me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top