U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 04:11 PM

23,691 posts, read 8,235,451 times

Advertisements

Reading more about shingles and stress or not stress, and a lot about a weakened immune system.

Back in 1999, I was 63 and lost a job that I planned to retire from at 65. This experience threw me into "fight/flight" and talk about shock to the system. I never found another meaningful job as "who wants to hire a 63 yr old woman"...the tech industry was exploding and everyone wanted young people. I analyzed all this for years. This issue could have thrown me into the Fibro syndrome but I'm not even clear about the Fibro stuff. I was told by an endo that I have Fibro. It was thyroid all along and finally got support. Long story. Thyroid controls so much and when it's not working, so much can go wrong.

At the time I lost that job at 63 I had been taking Grape Seed Ex for 6 yrs already, so now I'm thinking my Immune System was strong and if shingles could have hit me it would have been then. I support myself and can't count on anyone else, so this job loss was MAJOR. I ended up doing full time child care for a couple yrs to supplement income that I lost.

So for me, more thinking about having a strong Immune System. I get no colds, no flu, no vaccines for me, and in spite of a body of arthritis, I'm doing good at 79 and thankful NOT to be at the doctor's offices.

About the Immune System and NO I don't use this product but I'm sure it's good quality.

http://www.opc-1-2-3.com/grape-seed-...ne-system.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 04:34 PM

23,402 posts, read 28,249,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I'm getting my shingles shot this weekend. Already got my flu shot, which I have taken annually since 1987 (works for me).
You may want to wait for the new vaccine rather than taking the one that is currently available. It should be any time now. Check with your doctor or pharmacist.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:59 PM

23,402 posts, read 28,249,973 times
Facts:

Not everyone who is "stressed" gets shingles.

Some people who are not "stressed" get shingles.

The biggest risk factor for getting shingles is older age.

Taking the new shingles vaccine, Shingrix, can reduce the risk of getting shingles by 90%. The risk of persistent pain after a shingles attack is also less.

The new vaccine is well tolerated, and serious adverse events are no more common with the vaccine than with a saline placebo.

Do whatever you wish to relieve "stress". That will not guarantee that you will not get shingles. The vaccine and your "stress relief" activities are not mutually exclusive.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:11 PM

1,813 posts, read 1,137,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Facts:

Not everyone who is "stressed" gets shingles.

Some people who are not "stressed" get shingles.

The biggest risk factor for getting shingles is older age.

Taking the new shingles vaccine, Shingrix, can reduce the risk of getting shingles by 90%. The risk of persistent pain after a shingles attack is also less.

The new vaccine is well tolerated, and serious adverse events are no more common with the vaccine than with a saline placebo.

Do whatever you wish to relieve "stress". That will not guarantee that you will not get shingles. The vaccine and your "stress relief" activities are not mutually exclusive.
SuzyQ, I have been searching and can not find, the length of time a person that has had shingles is required to wait before he or she can get the Shingrix shot, can you give me some guidance? I thought I had read it somewhere, now I can't find it.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:22 PM

9,745 posts, read 7,030,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
I have been an R.N. for 40 years and midway through my career after attending a lecture on various complimentary modalities I jumped into the world of all things complimentary healthcare with both feet. I went onto to get certifications to practice Reiki, Therapeutic Touch, etc., and of all these modalities what really captured my interest was clinical aromatherapy. I believe I was one of the first R.N.s in this country to hold International certification as a clinical aromatherapy practitioner.

During this time I had also taken several courses given by a local ND. He happened to have a radio talk show that I listened to faithfully ever Saturday because I wanted to absorb every bit of knowledge that I could regarding all things natural healthcare. As time progressed listening to this doctor I began to notice that his time on the air was spent more in discrediting everything allopathic than extending his knowledge about the benefits of complimentary healthcare practices especially related to disease prevention where I believed complimentary practices had their greatest benefit. I eventually stopped listening to this doctor because of his strong stance against anything allopathic which IMO was only causing more of a division between complimentary and allopathic healthcare because being a practitioner of both I believed there was a place for both in healthcare.

A few months after I stopped listening to this doctor for the heck of it I tuned in one Saturday to see if maybe he toned it down a bit. There happened to be another host speaking on the show, and after of few minutes of listening to this host I would find out that the doctor had a massive stoke, came pretty close to death, and was currently in a rehab hospital trying to gain back the function he had lost as a result of the stroke.

Over the course of a year I continued to listen to this show which was a series of pretty interesting guest speakers each week. Then the day came when the doctor who had the stroke was back on the air hosting the show. As he began speaking I noticed immediately his tone was very different. He went on to share all about his stroke experience, and he could not praise more the allopathic doctors who used all that was in their allopathic arsenal of potent drugs to save his life because his blood pressure was so high bringing it down safely without causing even more harm was no easy task. I nearly fell off my chair when he began to relay that he was very wrong in his beliefs that all allopathic healthcare practices were harmful which came as a result of his own recent experiences with it because previously his personal experience was minimal and really not enough to be such as harsh judge of it. He ended the show stating that he was now committed to bridging the gap between allopathic and complimentary healthcare, and it would begin the next week as he was invited by the allopathic physicians who provided his hospital care to speak to a group of physicians as they had a great interest in learning about his naturopathic practice modalities.

And today nearly 30 years later I do believe this naturopathic doctor who has since retired did accomplish his goal in my small area of the country because many of these complimentary healthcare practices are being offered locally in conventional healthcare settings. And that gap has certainly narrowed even at the VA clinic I work at as several of the physicians have become certified to perform acupuncture and are utilizing it for pain management and having some significant positive patient outcomes.

I have no problem with people sharing their positive experiences they have had in utilizing non traditional health care practices for disease prevention and health maintenance, but when one employs in their promotion of these practices fear mongering to discredit all allopathic practices that I have a problem with. And the reason being is I have had personal experience with people who had very serious health issues that were beyond the ability to be treated by complimentary practices, and because they listened to someone or read something about the harmful effects of allopathic treatments even exploring allopathic treatment options caused them more fear than the serious health issue they were having. And sadly, some lost their lives as a result of not seeking the appropriate medical attention which in some cases a course of antibiotics to treat an infection that went septic that took their lives those antibiotics could have very possibly saved their lives had fear of allopathic healthcare not delayed them to seek appropriate medical attention when treatment would have be most effective. Had that naturopathic doctor who hated everything and anything allopathic not come to his senses and sought appropriate medical attention while he was having a massive stoke he would not be here today.
This about says it all. And very well, too, I might add.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:35 PM

151 posts, read 59,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I know one person who went thru shingles. And I'm on this earth 79 yrs and have known plenty of people over my life.

My mother who passed at 91 had cold sores and once I got her taking Grape Seed Ex at age 85, that's how old she was when I found it for myself. Her cold sores were gone from there on.

Everyone would be 100% healthier taking grape seed ex, powerful antioxidant.

I'm taking it 22 yrs and did have chicken pox moons ago.
Interesting. Will share with someone who is worried about getting it from kids shedding vaccines?
I don't really understand that, but she is very health conscious. She wants to do a titer (?) To see her level of immunity.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:00 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,577,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Shingles has run through three generations of my family. My mother had a very severe case in her late 50s (she had to be hospitalized, her case was so bad), I got it in my early 50s and two years ago, my daughter, who is in her 20's, had it as well.

After my daughter got it, I did some research and found a few medical research studies that suggested that some people may have a genetic pre-disposition to getting Shingles. Nothing conclusive, but the way it's echo-ed through my family makes me inclined to believe it.

By the way, it seems that you can have the genetic pre-disposition but still never get Shingles if your body's immune system isn't activated. And, while there is some evidence to suggest that stress can play a role in that, there are also OTHER factors that can as well, such as aging and other underlying health issues.

But all of the studies I read made it clear that this possible genetic pre-disposition does not account for ALL cases of shingles. Anyone can get shingles if other factors affecting your immune system are lined up right.

After I had shingles, I had no hesitation in getting the vaccine, even though my doctor said that the odds of getting it again were small. I never want to go through that again so even if it only reduces my chances, I'm getting it.

And, my daughter also was vaccinated after having it, even though she is only in her 20s and will have to get re-vaccinated throughout her life to keep up her immunity. She is planning to start a family soon and wanted to make sure that there was as little chance as possible of getting shingles again while pregnant or while her kids were young. Her doctor agreed with her that it was a good idea in her case, since she had Shingles so young and had a clear family history of being more pre-disposed to it.
You make excellent points. I believe it is a combination of factors from pre-disposition (genetic), to stress, to having an already compromised immune system. My husband definitely had the latter two, and my daughter maybe the first two.

My SIL had singles at 32 right after his first child was born. It was on his back and the doctor told him to wash his hands and wear a shirt while holding his newborn. Theory is that if children are vaccinated for, or had, chicken pox being around someone with shingles won't be a problem.

That must be very expensive at $300 a pop to keep getting vaccinated. Insurance will only pay for one vaccination. While the CDC has approved the Shintrix vax for those in their 50's, Medicare only pays for one shingles vaccination. For Seniors who have had the Zoster vaccination, they are going to have to pay out of pocket for a second (and third) Shintrix vax. How long will it take for Medicare to approve multiple shingles vaccinations? Either or situation? I know my husband had a $100 co-pay for it under Medicare.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:12 PM

19,836 posts, read 18,845,295 times
We who are on Medicare have to pay for the new vaccine? I paid for it myself last time because I was so terrified of getting shingles. I probably panicked and could have waited but due to having seen an aunt suffer terribly from shingles I ran out and got the shot.

My immunity would probably have mostly faded by now and I wouldn't mind a co-payment. But I hope we don't have to pay around $300 to get the new shot.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:51 PM

2,474 posts, read 904,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You may want to wait for the new vaccine rather than taking the one that is currently available. It should be any time now. Check with your doctor or pharmacist.
Thanks!

Old 01-10-2018, 07:57 PM

2,474 posts, read 904,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We who are on Medicare have to pay for the new vaccine? I paid for it myself last time because I was so terrified of getting shingles. I probably panicked and could have waited but due to having seen an aunt suffer terribly from shingles I ran out and got the shot.

My immunity would probably have mostly faded by now and I wouldn't mind a co-payment. But I hope we don't have to pay around $300 to get the new shot.
I don't believe Original Medicare overs it, but I would recommend checking out Walgreen's or Costco, if you area a member.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or