U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 07:09 AM

45,089 posts, read 36,318,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
My younger sister got the disease a few years ago - and she wasn't even 60 yet! Luckily she had only a mild case but still says it was sheer misery. We both had Chicken Pox as kids, the qualifying event/risk factor, as did most Baby Boomers.
Yep, I was 55 when I got it. It really surprised me. Like I said, a bout of serious stress is what I believe precipitated it. And yes, I had chicken pox as a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 07:58 AM

19,185 posts, read 15,054,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't really understand this shingles epidemic that seems to be happening. Personally, that I know of, I'm not aware of one person that I know of that has had shingles. Also, I don't know of even one relative of mine that has had it, ever. Not 40 years ago or last year. Should I still be concerned?
In my over 60 years on earth, I met one man who had it. He had gotten the shot for it. This was about 6 years ago. I declined getting it as did my husband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Statistics show that 95% of the population is at risk for shingles, and according to the CDC, approximately one out of every three adults in the U.S. will - - - I repeat, will - - - get shingles.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/pressrel/2008/r080515.htm
Oh, no! Not the CDC, the mouth of Big Pharma. What do you expect their findings to reflect?

For everyone's best protection, you have the world at your fingertips with computers, please do your own research. The CDC is NOT to be trusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
A lot of fear mongering on these groups, Keep Your Immune System STRONG and I too only know one person in my life who had shingles...she deals with other health issues too that weaken her immune system. I have told her about grape seed ex but she can't take it due to colitis she deals with.
What actually make an effort? Yeah, that isn't likely. Easier to just get the shot and believe what one is told by the CDC. Not even God knows what the final results will be on a vaccine anymore until the damage is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
They recommend getting the new shot, even if you have had the old one.
Of course they do. CDC is the mouthpiece of Big Pharma. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Shingrix is more effective than the original vaccine (Zostavax) and the protection does not wane as quickly. Yes, you can get it even if you have already had Zostavax.

Zostavax contains live virus; Shingrix does not.

CDC recommends new shingles vaccine to replace older one - CNN
Interesting from this article is: https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/887626

"The federal government's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) voted 8 to 7 today to recommend a new recombinant and adjuvanted herpes zoster vaccine (Shingrix, GlaxoSmithKline) over a live, attenuated virus version (Zostavax, Merck) for adults 50 years of age and older."

8 to 7 doesn't really impress me.

From the same article:

However, the ACIP split almost evenly on the preference question, with the debate centered on how much caution to take with a brand-new vaccine. Several ACIP members advocated collecting safety data on Shingrix for a year or 2 and waiting to see whether supplies proved adequate before endorsing it over Zostavax. Sandra Fryhofer, MD, a liaison representative for both the American Medical Association and the American College of Physicians, noted that the adjuvant in Shingrix that boosts the immune response "has never been out in the real world before."

Scary!

https://healthimpactnews.com/2017/dr...ls-97-of-time/

The CDC has, in the past, suppressed negative data, they have been said to be "in bed" with Big Pharma on more than one occasion. I'll make my own informed decisions regarding my health, thus far, I have done well. My suggestion is to not fall into the "herd" mentality and do your research and make an informed opinion.

As far as your Smartphone, if you are concerned about shingles and your health: http://www.businessinsider.com/smart...ar-plan-2018-1

Old 01-07-2018, 09:11 AM

12,076 posts, read 5,161,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I never had a hint of shingles, until two months after I was badgered into getting the Zostavax shot. I hope that my medical coverage plan sees fit to fund my getting the Shingrix vaccination, when it becomes available. The retail price of it is $280., if you're not covered.
Holy crap! $280 for a vaccine? No wonder there's a push to get the vaccine. Someone is making a killing on it.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:23 AM

23,835 posts, read 8,321,785 times
If everyone just got into daily MEDITATION this practice works to control the mind and body and eliminate major stresses or make them easier to get thru. Changing brain chemistry is what meditation helps with. Even an 8-10 minute meditation daily can make wonders in the system we live in.

And it's FREE, not a penny, just a little time. No vaccines here. Save yourself, don't wait for pharma.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-07-2018 at 10:37 AM..

Old 01-07-2018, 10:33 AM

13,707 posts, read 8,612,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If everyone just got into daily MEDITATION this practice works to control the mind and body and eliminate major stresses or make them easier to get thru. Changing brain chemistry is what medication help with. Even an 8-10 minute meditation daily can make wonders in the system we live in.

And it's FREE, not a penny, just a little time. No vaccines here. Save yourself, don't wait for pharma.
Yeah. I'll go along with that thought.

I don't meditate, but I don't sweat it, either. My step daughter, on the other hand, made herself sick to the point of going to the hospital because she was losing control of a personal situation. Stress can make you sick. That's a fact.

I go to the gym twice a week, though. Unless I don't feel like it.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:36 AM

8,215 posts, read 11,935,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Oh, no! Not the CDC, the mouth of Big Pharma. What do you expect their findings to reflect?
Yeah, you're right. The CDC just made up the statistic that 1 out of 3 people in the U.S. will get Shingles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
For everyone's best protection, you have the world at your fingertips with computers, please do your own research. The CDC is NOT to be trusted.The CDC has, in the past, suppressed negative data, they have been said to be "in bed" with Big Pharma on more than one occasion. I'll make my own informed decisions regarding my health, thus far, I have done well. My suggestion is to not fall into the "herd" mentality and do your research and make an informed opinion.
So what is your "informed" opinion as to the number or percentage of people who contract Shingles?

Old 01-07-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yeah. I'll go along with that thought.

I don't meditate, but I don't sweat it, either. My step daughter, on the other hand, made herself sick to the point of going to the hospital because she was losing control of a personal situation. Stress can make you sick. That's a fact.

I go to the gym twice a week, though. Unless I don't feel like it.
Stress is known to bring on cancers..when my son in law died, some friends said he died of anger which is a form of stress going on.

People just don't stop and "learn" to quiet themselves and all around them. On the gym I went for years, daily most of the time. That is still a form of stress. Working the body.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:45 AM

AnywhereElse: I wouldn't trust the CDC any further than I could throw them. They are totally in bed with pharma et al. In bed with fluoride pushers. Nope, no trust from me on the CDC. They may serve a function but not in my health.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:18 AM

3,922 posts, read 1,668,548 times
For my 60th birthday, I gave myself the gift of shingles and pneumonia vaccines.
A friend has had shingles several times and was miserable. Sometimes I can learn from other's experience.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:27 AM

9,773 posts, read 7,057,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
OP, you are having a rough month!

Shingles is awful, I'm sorry you had to suffer it. I'm almost due for my first Shingles vax and I will be getting it for sure!!! My dad had shingles several years ago. My mom complained bitterly about how annoying he was, complaining about the pain of this lame rash. She didn't let up even when he was finally diagnosed and treated. She thought he was a huge baby about it. To this day I hope karma gives her shingles so she can know what he went through. (She was mean about a lot of other things as well)

Re: your phone. Is there an app that is running constantly, draining your power? Certain apps have to be closed or they keep drawing power. Anything with a GPS in particular or anything that connects with wifi and gets notifications. For example, If you open Facebook and leave it open, everytime someone posts something and get a notification, it is drawing power. OR if you open Google Maps or other GPS program when traveling...then when you arrive, you have to turn it off, or it continues to communicate with the satellite. When you are not using your phone, make sure that all apps are closed.
I've had the same experience with power-draining apps left open on my phone, so I'm careful to turn them off when I'm finished using them now. And I generally keep my phone (a Samsung Galaxy 5 Mini) plugged in when I'm home, but when I don't and the apps are off I notice the charge doesn't decrease by an excess amount when the phone is out and around the house. When I notice the charge plunging bigtime is often when the phone is in the depths of my purse (or perhaps close to the black hole that lives in the bottom of my purse)for a number of hours. My guess on that is that the phone is having a hard time detect a cell tower signal from the depths of that purse, but keeps trying and that slurps up lots of power.

Interesting tp read about the new shingles vaccine. I'll investigate that further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or