U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 11:29 AM

1,183 posts, read 760,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
AnywhereElse: I wouldn't trust the CDC any further than I could throw them. They are totally in bed with pharma et al. In bed with fluoride pushers. Nope, no trust from me on the CDC. They may serve a function but not in my health.
ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 11:45 AM

23,400 posts, read 28,242,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
In my over 60 years on earth, I met one man who had it. He had gotten the shot for it. This was about 6 years ago. I declined getting it as did my husband.
You have met many more than that. Does every stranger you meet volunteer whether or not he has had shingles?

Quote:
Oh, no! Not the CDC, the mouth of Big Pharma. What do you expect their findings to reflect?
The figures are arrived at by counting cases. What evidence do you have that they are not correct?

Quote:
For everyone's best protection, you have the world at your fingertips with computers, please do your own research. The CDC is NOT to be trusted.
Please give us a link to any research that shows the CDC data on incidence of shingles is wrong.

Quote:
What actually make an effort? Yeah, that isn't likely. Easier to just get the shot and believe what one is told by the CDC. Not even God knows what the final results will be on a vaccine anymore until the damage is done.
Sure, a new vaccine has to be in use for a while before extremely rare adverse effects might show up. Shingrix was tested in about 38,000 people and found to be safe.

Quote:
Of course they do. CDC is the mouthpiece of Big Pharma. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
You can pay for the vaccine or you can pay for treating the disease, presuming it can be treated. Zoster can be, but treatment does not always prevent postherpetic neuralgia (PHN), which may be severe and for some patients never goes away. PHN is the leading cause of suicide in the elderly population.

Quote:
Interesting from this article is: https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/887626

"The federal government's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) voted 8 to 7 today to recommend a new recombinant and adjuvanted herpes zoster vaccine (Shingrix, GlaxoSmithKline) over a live, attenuated virus version (Zostavax, Merck) for adults 50 years of age and older."

8 to 7 doesn't really impress me.
The difference of opinion was whether to recommend Shingrix over Zostavax, not whether to approve the vaccine for use. ACIP makes policy decisions. It's the FDA that actually approved the new vaccine, and that approval was unanimous.

Quote:
From the same article:

However, the ACIP split almost evenly on the preference question, with the debate centered on how much caution to take with a brand-new vaccine. Several ACIP members advocated collecting safety data on Shingrix for a year or 2 and waiting to see whether supplies proved adequate before endorsing it over Zostavax. Sandra Fryhofer, MD, a liaison representative for both the American Medical Association and the American College of Physicians, noted that the adjuvant in Shingrix that boosts the immune response "has never been out in the real world before."

Scary!
It's only scary if you do not understand what adjuvants are.

Brownstein needs to take a statistics course.

https://respectfulinsolence.com/2017...-shingrix-won/

From a comment in the link:

"Do I have this right? He [Brownstein] says donít take a vaccine for a potentially debilitating disease, which could cost a lot to treat and end up causing permanent damage, because Big Pharma just wants to take your money? Oh, and by the way, if you do get it, I have a nice, expensive, unproven treatment for it, if we catch it in time. Better I should have your money and you suffer than those nasty drug companies get it!"

Quote:
The CDC has, in the past, suppressed negative data, they have been said to be "in bed" with Big Pharma on more than one occasion. I'll make my own informed decisions regarding my health, thus far, I have done well. My suggestion is to not fall into the "herd" mentality and do your research and make an informed opinion.
Please give an example of the CDC suppressing "negative data" on any vaccine.

Health Impact News is not a good source of information for making informed decisions about any vaccine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Holy crap! $280 for a vaccine? No wonder there's a push to get the vaccine. Someone is making a killing on it.
Yep, the company will make a lot of money on it. Is there something wrong with that? Companies that make airbags for automobiles make money, too. Less money will be spent on treating zoster, and fewer people will have complications from it, including postherpetic neuralgia.

Any vaccine has a cost effectiveness analysis done. Shingrix would be cost effective even at a slightly higher price point.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/890843#vp_1

Old 01-07-2018, 12:03 PM

23,679 posts, read 8,235,451 times
SQ: Of course, there is nothing wrong with Pharma making money on any of their drugs/vaccines, etc...but from many on the pharma wagon, the supplement companies SHOULD NOT make money on what they offer us. How many times has that been said on H&W?

Old 01-07-2018, 12:20 PM

7,110 posts, read 8,149,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I've had the same experience with power-draining apps left open on my phone, so I'm careful to turn them off when I'm finished using them now. And I generally keep my phone (a Samsung Galaxy 5 Mini) plugged in when I'm home,
If any others have this type of problem, here's a solution:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCo...nker+powercore

I have 2 of these battery packs. I keep my phone plugged into one, and my tablet to the other. I keep them in my truck, all day long, and when I want to use one of them, the battery is always topped off!

Old 01-07-2018, 12:27 PM

23,400 posts, read 28,242,738 times
Quote:
SQ: Of course, there is nothing wrong with Pharma making money on any of their drugs/vaccines, etc...but from many on the pharma wagon, the supplement companies SHOULD NOT make money on what they offer us. How many times has that been said on H&W?
No one says that. We point out that while the anti-pharma folks complain about pharma making money that supplement companies are raking it in, too, as if it is all right for supp makers to make money but not pharma.

Meanwhile, the supp makers do not have to provide any evidence that their products do what is claimed for them.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:48 PM

4,149 posts, read 1,890,030 times
$280.
If you get it in a bad way and in bad place, you discover that you wish he spent the money for just 33% protection.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:49 PM

4,833 posts, read 4,947,484 times
Quote:
If everyone just got into daily MEDITATION this practice works to control the mind and body and eliminate major stresses or make them easier to get thru. Changing brain chemistry is what meditation helps with. Even an 8-10 minute meditation daily can make wonders in the system we live in.

And it's FREE, not a penny, just a little time. No vaccines here. Save yourself, don't wait for pharma.

If meditation works for you, that's great!

But I still think I'll get the shingrex shots.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:57 PM

13,650 posts, read 8,565,244 times
Quote:
...........People just don't stop and "learn" to quiet themselves and all around them. On the gym I went for years, daily most of the time. That is still a form of stress. Working the body.
Gym? Stress? I never really thought of it that way I guess. We actually go to a physical therapist who prescribes the routine of stretching, balance and a little weight stuff.

Quiet themselves?...... My relatives believe I was born "quiet". I can literally sit and do nothing for long periods of time. Yesterday is a good example. The temperature warmed up a little and I sat out in the sun just listening. That's it - just listening, intently. Eyes closed. It's amazing what you will hear.
You know what?........ Listening is fun. Yeah. Fun.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No one says that. We point out that while the anti-pharma folks complain about pharma making money that supplement companies are raking it in, too, as if it is all right for supp makers to make money but not pharma.

Meanwhile, the supp makers do not have to provide any evidence that their products do what is claimed for them.
And supplements don't kill people as with pharma drug and interactions. Nor any of the side effects people deal with from the drugs and long list of possible side effects. I've been there, family members too.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Gym? Stress? I never really thought of it that way I guess. We actually go to a physical therapist who prescribes the routine of stretching, balance and a little weight stuff.

Quiet themselves?...... My relatives believe I was born "quiet". I can literally sit and do nothing for long periods of time. Yesterday is a good example. The temperature warmed up a little and I sat out in the sun just listening. That's it - just listening, intently. Eyes closed. It's amazing what you will hear.
You know what?........ Listening is fun. Yeah. Fun.
My mother prayed a lot and her rosary was a form of meditation. This got her thru a stressful life with my father. She didn't know it, and all this just came to me in recent years. If anyone would get shingles she would, but never did and died at 91. Shingle free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or