Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 03:45 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Always, always take advice and numbers from studies with a huge grain of salt when it's from some Internet site that purports to be supported by statistics and information that was probably pulled from some other questionable website that got their information from Billy Bob down the street.
Yes, take everything with a grain of salt, and what all the medical authorities tell us too. Maybe we've been told all the wrong info. Makes we wonder more after reading the article I posted about Getting Shingles In Younger People.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 03:49 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's a very interesting article and seems to contradict some of what people here are saying.
-if you've had the chicken pox rather than the vaccine, your chances of getting shingles are less. That's why it's becoming more common in younger people
-The lifetime chance of getting shingles is 15% to 20% (in Canada) not one in three
-The new vaccine for shingles is only 50 percent effective, so even if you have the vaccine you still have a 50/50 chance of getting shingles
Thinking back to my very early life, we only got the DTP vaccination to get into first grade...the chicken pox vaccine didn't come into place until 1984 or so. My DTP was in the mid 40's when I went to first grade.

Perhaps my chances to NOT get shingles are BETTER since I went thru chicken pox at early age. Just talking to my neighbor who is in his 40's and we were talking about this and he pointed to a fine scar from a pox mark as he had chicken pox too.

Who knows the truth about all this stuff. The truth I say.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:34 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,932,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Perhaps my chances to NOT get shingles are BETTER since I went thru chicken pox at early age. Just talking to my neighbor who is in his 40's and we were talking about this and he pointed to a fine scar from a pox mark as he had chicken pox too.
This is contradiction to actual data below. My daughter had chicken pox when she was very young. It did not 'protect' her from getting shingles later in her 20's.

https://www.livescience.com/45804-ch...-shingles.html

Quote:
Although shingles is related to chickenpox — the varicella zoster virus causes both — experts say the rise in shingles is not linked with the use of the chickenpox vaccine.

In fact, children who receive a chickenpox vaccination have a much lower risk of getting shingles later in life than those who are not immunized, said Dr. William Schaffner, doctor of preventative medicine at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee, and a leading infectious disease expert.

A few other things could explain the rise in shingles cases, Schaffner said. "People are living longer and therefore have more opportunity to contract shingles," he said.

But the rise is not linked to the vaccine. "Today's adults who are getting shingles are clearly getting it from the latent chickenpox virus that they acquired as children, and not from the vaccine, which wasn't around when they were young," he said.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:53 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
This is contradiction to actual data below. My daughter had chicken pox when she was very young. It did not 'protect' her from getting shingles later in her 20's.

https://www.livescience.com/45804-ch...-shingles.html
The theory from the article is that the more you are exposed to the chicken pox virus, the less chance you have of getting shingles. It used to be that you got the chicken pox as a child and then were exposed to it still on a regular basis after that.
Since the virus is no longer common and people aren't being exposed to it throughout their lives, your chances of getting shingles increases. This is due to people being immunized against the virus. It's not out there much, so people aren't exposed to it very much anymore.
Bottom line I think is that everyone's immune system is different. Your daughters immune system wasn't working very well at the time for whatever reason.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:11 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
My shingles was not painful.

Before all the, "See, I was right!" starts up it's because I was given the right medications. Gabapentin eased probably 95% of the pain I would have experienced. In fact I continued to take it for years because of postherpetic neuralgia, and would still be taking it except my body decided to have a bad side effect from it.

Almost nine years in and I still have severe nerve pain. Anyone who decides not to get vaccinated, I wish you well.

One of my favorite comments is someone saying they don't understand all the hullabaloo about shingles. If you don't then why are you posting here?

I am glad the gabapentin worked for you and sorry you can no longer take it. Perhaps there will be something else in the future that will help.

Quote:
Always, always take advice and numbers from studies with a huge grain of salt when it's from some Internet site that purports to be supported by statistics and information that was probably pulled from some other questionable website that got their information from Billy Bob down the street.
Especially if such sites want to sell you something to treat shingles. After all, if you do not get shingles they do not make any money.

Quote:
Thinking back to my very early life, we only got the DTP vaccination to get into first grade...the chicken pox vaccine didn't come into place until 1984 or so. My DTP was in the mid 40's when I went to first grade.

Younger age at the time of chickenpox infection increases the risk of shingles.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pi.../varicella.pdf

"Herpes zoster, or shingles, occurs when latent VZV [varicella zoster virus] reactivates and causes recurrent disease. The immunologic mechanism that controls latency of VZV is not well understood. However, factors associated with recurrent disease include aging, immunosuppression, intrauterine exposure to VZV, and having had varicella at a young age (younger than 18 months)."

The infectious disease experts know "the truth about all this stuff."

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The theory from the article is that the more you are exposed to the chicken pox virus, the less chance you have of getting shingles. It used to be that you got the chicken pox as a child and then were exposed to it still on a regular basis after that.
Since the virus is no longer common and people aren't being exposed to it throughout their lives, your chances of getting shingles increases. This is due to people being immunized against the virus. It's not out there much, so people aren't exposed to it very much anymore.
Bottom line I think is that everyone's immune system is different. Your daughters immune system wasn't working very well at the time for whatever reason.
The fact is that the incidence of herpes zoster is increasing in countries that do not routinely vaccinate against chickenpox. The theory that re-exposure to the virus reduces the risk of shingles has holes in it.

The factors that allow the virus to reactivate are not well understood.

Instead of not immunizing children against chickenpox and allowing them to get a disease that has potentially severe side effects and sometimes kills, adults should take the zoster vaccine, especially since Shingrix is now available.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:51 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
[quote=suzy_q2010;50639118]

I am glad the gabapentin worked for you and sorry you can no longer take it. Perhaps there will be something else in the future that will help.

Especially if such sites want to sell you something to treat shingles. After all, if you do not get shingles they do not make any money.

Younger age at the time of chickenpox infection increases the risk of shingles.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pi.../varicella.pdf

"Herpes zoster, or shingles, occurs when latent VZV [varicella zoster virus] reactivates and causes recurrent disease. The immunologic mechanism that controls latency of VZV is not well understood. However, factors associated with recurrent disease include aging, immunosuppression, intrauterine exposure to VZV, and having had varicella at a young age (younger than 18 months)."

The infectious disease experts know "the truth about all this stuff."

The fact is that the incidence of herpes zoster is increasing in countries that do not routinely vaccinate against chickenpox. The theory that re-exposure to the virus reduces the risk of shingles has holes in it.

The factors that allow the virus to reactivate are not well understood.

Instead of not immunizing children against chickenpox and allowing them to get a disease that has potentially severe side effects and sometimes kills, adults should take the zoster vaccine, especially since Shingrix is now available.[/QUOTE

My daughter had chicken pox at 11 years old. Got shingles at 38. I had chicken pox at 7 months old. Now 69. Almost 30 years older than her. So much for your science of before 18 months. lol Not random individuals, Suzy, my own child. Must be all of my superhuman "luck" once again.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:51 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The flu is not a joking matter. Deaths from the flu range from about 12,000 per year to 56,000 per year. The death rate is highest among seniors.
Those pawns of the Devil, the CDC, think the death toll from the flu could be even higher than that among seniors and the chronically ill. The flu weakens them enough so that they die from a different cause, which is the one that is reported.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:52 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
On a related matter, I have yet to hear from any of these anti-vaccine, anti-pharmacology posters how they account for the fact that prior to the development of these drugs and vaccines, not only thousands, and not only millions, but tens of millions of people would die due to diseases and epidemics that would run rampant through the world's population.
I have yet to hear any of these pro-vaccine, pro-pharmacology posters, provide evidence that the tens of millions of people who were dying due to diseases and epidemics that would run rampant through the world's population; would have been saved solely by vaccines.

To say that they would have; is theoretical & speculative. Which is actually less valid than anecdotal.

Unless; you know of what research has been done that controls for the impact of:

Public utilities, sanitation services, wastewater treatment & clean running water. Public health regulations concerning food preparation, handling & serving. Agricultural science. Control of disease-bearing parasites, insects & animals.

Advancements in medical science including IV therapy, penicillin, azithromycin, clarithromycin, and erythromycin. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories, bronchodilators, Antitoxins, sterile fields, bactericidals, disinfectives & antiseptics.

... & has led to the scientific consensus: that vaccines are responsible for reducing death from disease. In a statistically significant margin, of course, above & beyond what all the other advancements have.

And if you do know of it; would you please provide a source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, I guess it's a good thing you have a choice.
Well; for now ...

State:
Arkansas HB 1317 & Idaho S1073: Expands the immunization tracking system to include adults.
Arkansas HB 1550: Removes consent for reporting adult vaccinations to the department and registr.y
Missouri SB 760: Mandatory flu vaccines for employees and volunteers in all inspected facilities.
Montana HB 73: Allows disclosure of a patient's immunization record without the patient's authorization.
NY A439: Expands forced detainment and treatment to include vaccine-preventable diseases.

Federal:
US H.R. 1313: Forcing Vaccination in Employee Wellness Programs.
US H.R. 1215: Liability Shielding for Vaccine Injuries and Deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
For some unknown reason, I'm reminded of three monkeys with their hands over their ears, eyes, and mouths.
Me too.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:57 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Modern medicine has saved my life several times. But I've also had an adverse, life changing reaction to an antibiotic - which clearly did much more harm than good in my case. But this same antibiotic has saved many peoples' lives as well, so there you have it.
Including mine.

Levaquin knocked back my aspiration pneumonia when nothing else would.

I am sorry it caused tendon damage in your case.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:

My brother and I both had a pretty severe case of chicken pox when I was seven and he was five. I remember it clearly because it happened at Christmas time and we both just begged and begged to be allowed to ride our new Schwinn bikes even though we were both sickly!

Then at 55 I got shingles. Never had a vaccine against shingles or chicken pox and last year when I checked on it it wasn't covered by insurance at my age and was cost prohibitive and a crap shoot when it came to whether or not it would be effective. So until it's improved beyond a 50/50 shot, I'm probably going to forego it till it's at least covered by insurance. Maybe it is now, who knows?

Anyway, shingles sucked - much more painful than chicken pox ever thought about being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement