Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 03:19 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,552,794 times

Advertisements

Ok, not necessarily in that order. Just wanted to tie up a a few loose ends. Not really, just wanted to spout off a bit.

First, I want to comment regarding this thing that almost "done me in", the shingles. After being clobbered with this before Christmas, two different rounds of medication, I am much better, even the rash is dang near all gone. For sure, I will get the new injections Shingrix. This is a thing you don't want to get if you absolutely can do something about it.

Next, my smartphone, I noticed right away that this thing was using up the battery every 24 hours. I put up with it for a while, then, I felt that was ridiculous. I went on settings and found I could change to Power saver mode, I did this, but, the result was disappointing. The other day I had to run some errands and grabbed my phone and saw it was down to 20%, so I went back to settings and changed it to ultra power saving mode, now that had a great effect, I will leave it that way for a while.

Ok, that is my attempt for today. Peace be with you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 03:53 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,110 times
Hi Chronic, I also run short of battery, but mine doesn’t even last out a day. I’ve taken sort of the opposite approach with my cell phone and tablet. I use the tablet all day, every day, so have put chargers everywhere I spend time. One by the bed to recharge every night, one in the car where I automatically plug it in when I go anywhere, one by the computer to recharge if I’m working, one by the evening easy chair, and finally one with an extra long cord in my purse. Sounds like a lot, but once I got them all placed, haven’t given it another thought (and never ran out of power again!).

I’m going to take your advice and call my doc tomorrow about the new shingles shots.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:54 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Ok, not necessarily in that order. Just wanted to tie up a a few loose ends. Not really, just wanted to spout off a bit.

First, I want to comment regarding this thing that almost "done me in", the shingles. After being clobbered with this before Christmas, two different rounds of medication, I am much better, even the rash is dang near all gone. For sure, I will get the new injections Shingrix. This is a thing you don't want to get if you absolutely can do something about it.

Next, my smartphone, I noticed right away that this thing was using up the battery every 24 hours. I put up with it for a while, then, I felt that was ridiculous. I went on settings and found I could change to Power saver mode, I did this, but, the result was disappointing. The other day I had to run some errands and grabbed my phone and saw it was down to 20%, so I went back to settings and changed it to ultra power saving mode, now that had a great effect, I will leave it that way for a while.

Sorry to hear about your shingles battle. I have a friend who had it and then it re-occurred. I've never had it and take a lot of supplements anyway for my immune system and know that Lysine is a great anti viral amino acid for this type viral issue. I take Lysine off and on over the years. Off it now but will go on again soon. B vitamins are important too for calming the nerve issues people live with. Stress is a major shingles factor. I don't get vaccines of any kind...but this is me and I work with supplements for decades...

I remember when my friend got the shingles she was training a puppy at 68 or so and up off and on nights with the puppy, stress from this challenge.

On the smart phone, I am not in that world and keep my land phone (portable) in a good charge mode...don't talk lots on the phone to let it run down, the battery that is.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-05-2018 at 04:29 PM..

Old 01-05-2018, 04:30 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Not directly related, but is your smartphone an iPhone? If so, you need to get a new battery. Apple has knocked $50 off the price and will replace your battery for only $29 since it got caught last month slowing down the performance of iPhones with older batteries.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f0c74eac263c

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c70fffe189ba

Old 01-05-2018, 05:04 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:

Both paragraphs. We both got the shingles vaccine. My BIL and a friend both had it and it made us run to the nearest pharmacy for a shot. You are smart to get the vaccine as you can get shingles more than once.

Smartphone: I love my smartphone. Some thoughts. If you are a moderate to heavy user, 24 hours is about right. If your phone is over a year and a half old you can expect a shorter battery life. Replace the battery if you’re otherwise happy with the phone. There are a lot of articles on how to reduce battery drain on the internet. But a biggie is battery care. Might be too late for your current battery, but topping off your battery on a regular basis is a killer. Best practice is to charge when you get below 20%. Not at 50%-60% Batteries are good for X number of charge cycles. Charging at 60% counts as one cycle. Charging at 15% counts as one cycle. The math is simple.

I will top off my phone on occasion if I am going out of town, for example, but otherwise I won’t worry if my phone is at 40%.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:35 PM

249 posts, read 266,949 times
After reading this thread I did a quick research on Shingrix. Looks like it is highly recommended over the old vaccine and good to get even if you got the older vaccine. I'll be getting it soon.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:02 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times
Some apps also are a major cause of smartphone batteries running down fast. They get into a mode that forces the phone to perform some data gathering task over and over.

I have a dumb pre-paid plan smartphone, meaning it is a $50 Samsung and I don't have a data plan for it. I use it mainly as a phone for voice or text communications. If I am in a place with WiFi, I can turn on WiFi and open a web browser page and use the internet or access email. I don't have hardly any active apps on this phone, so the apps don't keep cycling on and run down the battery.

Your smartphone will allow you to look at the power usage of each app so you can see which ones are burning up all the battery power. My dumb smartphone with all the apps shut off can go 4+ days without needed a re-charge, and my battery is just a few months old.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:28 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
I don't really understand this shingles epidemic that seems to be happening. Personally, that I know of, I'm not aware of one person that I know of that has had shingles. Also, I don't know of even one relative of mine that has had it, ever. Not 40 years ago or last year. Should I still be concerned?

Old 01-06-2018, 05:40 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't really understand this shingles epidemic that seems to be happening. Personally, that I know of, I'm not aware of one person that I know of that has had shingles. Also, I don't know of even one relative of mine that has had it, ever. Not 40 years ago or last year. Should I still be concerned?
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Statistics show that 95% of the population is at risk for shingles, and according to the CDC, approximately one out of every three adults in the U.S. will - - - I repeat, will - - - get shingles.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/pressrel/2008/r080515.htm

Old 01-06-2018, 05:40 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
Shingrix is on my list. I think this new vaccine gets released this month. I'll discuss it with my GP this month. I really do not want to get Shingles.

For your reading enjoyment re shingles, read this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/h...e=sectionfront

As for iPhone battery replacement on the iPhone 6, I made the appointment for the Apple store, visited yesterday, and am scheduled for the $29 replacement as soon as they get more batteries in stock.

As you might imagine, that sudden offer drew a ton of requests so you'll wait a bit for their supply chain to respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement