U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 03:36 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,541,985 times

Advertisements

Spouse and I decided to finally consolidate our retirement accounts in Vanguard roll-over IRAs. What an interesting and frustrating experience. Fidelity was by far the worst. They wouldn't do a direct transfer - only a check to us for us to send on. Worst was the need for a Medallion Signature Guarantee. You can only get those from financial institutions where you have a relationship. We do our banking online. Fortunately, Fidelity has an office an hour away on a good day. So we went there. Lots of forms to notarize too, but our town clerk does that.

Moral of the story is that roll-overs are sometimes not easy and not quick, and mistakes can have huge tax consequences so plan ahead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 04:10 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,346,551 times
I always thought the company you were rolling the account TO was the one to handle the transfer. So in your case that would have been Vanguard. What did Vanguard require?

Can you be a little more specific about what the process was, to help educate the rest of us.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:38 PM

2,623 posts, read 2,578,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I always thought the company you were rolling the account TO was the one to handle the transfer. So in your case that would have been Vanguard. What did Vanguard require?

Can you be a little more specific about what the process was, to help educate the rest of us.
I agree. When I rolled my 401k into a Fidelity IRA, it was very simple. A few phone calls between Fidelity and me, a few docs shuttled back and forth, and it was done.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:50 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,171,440 times
OP, sounds like you took the wrong path to accomplish the roll over. Sorry.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:18 PM

4,365 posts, read 3,700,708 times
Some thing went wrong. It should be rather easy to go between two brokers you have accounts with.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:25 PM

9,127 posts, read 17,141,418 times
I moved funds from my 401K (who i retired from), to Schwab, Did it from the 401K fiduciary side. When thru the normal security verification stuff with them, They cut a check (Yes, a paper check) and mailed it directly to Schwab. As a fiduciary to fiduciary transfer.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:28 PM

5,940 posts, read 2,893,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I believe Fidelity brokerage accounts can buy mutual funds from other companies, so maybe they bought Vanguard Funds in a Fidelity account because they had other assets with Fidelity.

If that is the case it's a poor move IMO, because you can't get Admiral Shares indirectly.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:29 PM

21,539 posts, read 44,010,725 times
Your comment that Fidelity insisted on sending you a check leads me to think you were rolling over cash? Surely, they wouldn't be requiring you liquidate investments to do the rollover?

Otherwise, from what I've gathered, you can move accounts between fiduciaries without disturbing the underlying investment.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:43 PM

8,764 posts, read 10,843,052 times
I've done multiple quick and easy roll-overs with no difficulties (as have others here). It sounds like the OP approached this in a manner that would create a taxable event - which is a no-no!

Old 01-06-2018, 06:59 PM

2,439 posts, read 3,664,651 times
I did a 401(k) Roll-Over from Fidelity to Schwab. Schwab has a local office so I went there to have the forms generated, had my wife sign them at our Bank which offers free Notary services, then I hand carried the forms back to Schwab. I can't remember if one of the forms was a Signature Guarantee but I don't think so. I remember those forms being necessary for Mutual Fund Sales over 30 years ago and seeing such a form would have been something to remember.

My former 401(k) is now invested in three Separately Managed Accounts at Schwab under an IRA Umbrella. Our financial Planner, who does not work for Schwab, steered us toward these for greater growth. His firm's relationship with Schwab allows clients to purchase smaller units of these funds than normally available from Schwab or the Asset Management forms.

https://www.schwab.com/public/schwab...naged_accounts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement