U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 06:46 AM

2,435 posts, read 3,659,178 times

Advertisements

i replace every battery in every household and automotive device during the annual year-end Holiday Season. I find find battery sales prevalent at this time of year which cuts the price of my OCD behavior by approximately 50%.

Clocks, answering machine, TV and AV device remotes, smoke detectors, CO detector, car key fobs, garage door openers, and the thermostat.

I have a spread sheet identifying the battery type and quantity each device requires which assists with purchasing the appropriate batteries, as well as being a 'Check Off Sheet' of which devices have been refreshed. (see OCD reference above)

The rechargeable portable phone batteries do not get changed until their battery life becomes noticeably short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Yeah, those seem a bit over the top. If my 88 yr old MIL wants to know the weather or brush up on the news, she reads the newspaper!

Not sure google and alexa would understand her without her teeth in.
LOL! I have a co-worker whose pet Parrot uses Alexa to listen to music during the day when my co-worker and her husband are at work. Once I stopped laughing after hearing this, I cautioned my co-worker to remove all automatic credit card billing arrangements from her Amazon account.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:15 AM

6,875 posts, read 7,270,643 times
8 months ago I got all fancy with a programmable thermostat..... persuaded by all the info and people who say you save energy costs by having different departs programmed differently.

That was the ONLY reason.

I had the installer, and then later had a friend, set it for me. And I haven't touched it since.

To be honest, now I'm thinking of going back to one like the house first had 40 years ago.

I'm a late-adopter of all technology, and deep down knew it was more complicated than my comfort level. But I thought I'd eventually get used to it.

I hate to give up on a new device that really could save me money. Since I have it now, I suppose should force myself to learn how to work it....but...we'll see.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:39 AM

We were late adopters of programmable thermostat too. Ours is pretty much 'set it and forget it'. We use the intuitive Temperature Up button if we are chilled and want the house warmer on a particularly cold day. Them the device resets itself to the automatic program temperatures at the next programmed temperature change.

Best part is waking to an already warm house in the morning after saving money during our sleep by allowing the house temperature to drift downwards to our night time set back of 62 degrees.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:03 AM

2,591 posts, read 1,286,055 times
"Alexa, order bird food, AWWWK!"

Old 01-07-2018, 09:04 AM

2,215 posts, read 742,560 times
I have one and like it as well. I have a 5 day setting and a weekend setting each having 4 time periods and a "home today" button to override.
I change my batteries in June/December in all my stuff.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:08 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,428,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Have someone setup a smarthome for you and let Amazon's Alexa manage your home's heating and cooling.

"Hey Alexa, set room temp to 72"
Or just walk over to the thermostat and set it to 72.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:15 AM

2,591 posts, read 1,286,055 times
Programmables are great for saving money - we've used them for years.

If MIL weren't renting, I'd probably replace hers with one of the simpler ones some of you have offered, as she's home most all the time. Being elderly, and prone to being up at any crazy hour, she'd probably be fine with 75 degrees 24/7 in the wintertime. Now that I have the docs, I can set her up.

I was just frustrated at the time with her unit, and ranted on the Internet. (30 years ago, who'da thunk we would be able to do that!)

Old 01-07-2018, 09:32 AM

5,922 posts, read 2,885,080 times
Quote:
Not sure google and alexa would understand her without her teeth in.
There is a pretty hilarious video I saw where an older Scottish guy is trying to use Alexa, no way man.

Quote:
For comfort as well. It's wonderful waking up in the morning in the nice cool sleep temperature, then hearing the heater click on automatically and knowing it'll be warm by the time you have to get out from under the covers.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:16 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,123,924 times
Quote:

If MIL weren't renting, I'd probably replace hers with one of the simpler ones some of you have offered, as she's home most all the time. Being elderly, and prone to being up at any crazy hour, she'd probably be fine with 75 degrees 24/7 in the wintertime. Now that I have the docs, I can set her up.

I was just frustrated at the time with her unit, and ranted on the Internet. (30 years ago, who'da thunk we would be able to do that!)
You can install your own thermostat and just reinstall the original when she moves out. Get one that's Wi-Fi capable and you or a grandchild can adjust it with a smartphone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or