U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 03:20 PM

2,593 posts, read 1,293,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You can install your own thermostat and just reinstall the original when she moves out. Get one that's Wi-Fi capable and you or a grandchild can adjust it with a smartphone.
"Sonny, I'm freezing!"

30 minutes later:

"Hello, Mom? Are you warmer now?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 03:21 PM

4,684 posts, read 3,254,622 times
The only complaint I have about the thermostat that was put into my apartment is that the print is too small.

Why in heck do they put something like that into a place for seniors who may have a problem with vision?

I did eventually find the mailing address to write to them about this and received a letter back that "next time they will take it into consideration."

Next time.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:26 PM

15,951 posts, read 6,280,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Why do things have to be so difficult???

My 88 year old mother-in-law had to replace the batteries in her thermostat recently. Instead of defaulting to a reasonable 68 degrees heat and 78 degrees cooling, it sets itself to 60 degrees heating ONLY.

My MIL called and said she's freezing. I came out to look at her thermostat, and wanted to set it up so it would be 75 all day and night.

Do you think this unit would have a manual mode?? Indirectly. It has a "temporary" setting, good for 1 day, two days, etc. So basically I had to program seven days worth of 5 time slot settings, all at 75 degrees (instead of 60.) I imagine I'll need to return to perform the 7x5 AC settings once our warm weather returns next week here in Florida.

If that were not enough, the device thought it was Friday, even though today's Saturday. I found the clock setting, but no way to set the weekday, so I left it on Fri.

They should have an "Idiots" mode that just does what 80% of its users might normally want. 68/78 degrees 24/7. At least it would keep one comfy until a kid can come in and program it. Six adults looked at this unit and were baffled.

I want to yank her unit out and replace it with this:

Rant over (for now.)
I couldn't agree more. In some cases technology is great. In others it's needlessly complicated. For absolutely no net benefit, for example, the menus to do anything in Word and Acrobat have been totally scrambled. I wonder if a cat playing on the keyboard did the work.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:52 PM

11,939 posts, read 20,407,803 times
I removed our floor furnace and had installed a forced air furnace, with a Carrier programmable thermostat.

No batteries. It’s hardwired in. I can’t even imagine having a battery in a thermostat.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:31 PM

7,275 posts, read 4,158,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I removed our floor furnace and had installed a forced air furnace, with a Carrier programmable thermostat.

No batteries. Itís hardwired in. I canít even imagine having a battery in a thermostat.
The battery prevents you from losing your program data in the event of a power failure.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:47 PM

2,796 posts, read 938,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The battery prevents you from losing your program data in the event of a power failure.
I wonder how many of those with no batteries have a rechargeable coin battery on the inside.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:55 PM

4,342 posts, read 2,270,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I couldn't agree more. In some cases technology is great. In others it's needlessly complicated. For absolutely no net benefit, for example, the menus to do anything in Word and Acrobat have been totally scrambled. I wonder if a cat playing on the keyboard did the work.
It's perfectly acceptable to rant - if they can't make it simple then you should buy something else.

Go compare a Nest Thermostat to a Honeywell. The last Honeywell I bought took 25 minutes with the manual to figure out the programming. For the Nest you don't even need the manual.

If you have this problem do yourself a favor and buy a new Thermostat.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:58 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,454,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
The only complaint I have about the thermostat that was put into my apartment is that the print is too small.

Why in heck do they put something like that into a place for seniors who may have a problem with vision?
Can I get an A-MEN!!!

Old 01-08-2018, 01:57 PM

29,789 posts, read 34,889,516 times
Quote:
Why do things have to be so difficult???

My 88 year old mother-in-law had to replace the batteries in her thermostat recently. Instead of defaulting to a reasonable 68 degrees heat and 78 degrees cooling, it sets itself to 60 degrees heating ONLY.

My MIL called and said she's freezing. I came out to look at her thermostat, and wanted to set it up so it would be 75 all day and night.

Do you think this unit would have a manual mode?? Indirectly. It has a "temporary" setting, good for 1 day, two days, etc. So basically I had to program seven days worth of 5 time slot settings, all at 75 degrees (instead of 60.) I imagine I'll need to return to perform the 7x5 AC settings once our warm weather returns next week here in Florida.

If that were not enough, the device thought it was Friday, even though today's Saturday. I found the clock setting, but no way to set the weekday, so I left it on Fri.

They should have an "Idiots" mode that just does what 80% of its users might normally want. 68/78 degrees 24/7. At least it would keep one comfy until a kid can come in and program it. Six adults looked at this unit and were baffled.

I want to yank her unit out and replace it with this:

Rant over (for now.)
Who makes it and what model. My Honeywell has the option for temporary or permanent mode. If it has the wording temporary that might suggest it also has a permanent option. You indicate it is programmable which strongly suggests it also has a permanent option. Is it internet capable?

If worse came to worse couldn't you just program all five times slots and all seven days for 75 degrees and let it just repeat?

Old 01-08-2018, 02:05 PM

29,789 posts, read 34,889,516 times
Quote:
Since publishing my rant, I've found the manuals on line.

It's a Honeywell 7-Day Programmable Thermostat (RTH8500D).

Turns out the weekday (day, month, year) is set during installation, so I gotta cut/restore power to change that.

It does have a "permanent" 24/7 mode, but it's not intuitive. It has built-in defaults through power losses, so I have no idea why it was set to 60, unless my in-laws before me botched it up.

Bottom line, at least now that I have documentation, I should be able to get my MIL comfy again.

Still, it shouldn't take an engineering degree to program a thermostat if you don't have the book.
This model is perfect for you and her and ideal in this situation. It is internet ready and you can monitor and control her system from the comfort of your home miles away. You can see it there is a problem or she can text call you and tell you what she needs and Bada Bing! YOU can do it. We love ours this time of the year as we have two places and can control and monitor from anywhere.

Technology can be wonderful once we figure it out and master how to use it to make our lives better. I agree that mastering may not be as easy for us as it once was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or