U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 06:23 AM

2,435 posts, read 3,659,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
I don't think the OP is looking for part time work in his old field, or even to work into retirement with his own car.

He wants to drive somebody else's brand new car, and who could blame him!
You spend a lot of time driving junkers to Auction too - with a chase vehicle because the junkers are so bad........
Driving someone else's worn out 10-15 year old self-propelled ash tray, with sticky substances on the seats you try not to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 06:38 AM

970 posts, read 603,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Do car dealerships offer opportunities for seniors to transport cars around regions or the entire country?

I am far from retired, but it is something that appeals to me. Does anyone here do that or have they done it in the past?

How could a senior with a good driving record take advantage of an opportunity like this?
How I met my SO other was at the time he was selling cars and I purchased a car from him. His dealership hired many retired seniors that did various jobs. I met one that was the dealership greeter, another who would get the cars washed in their drive through car wash after the cars were serviced, and another would just register cars all day at the DMV.

The woman that cares for my cats when we are on vacation her husband in his mid 70s works for a Toyota dealership and picks up and delivers cars all over New England and has been doing this since he retired 10 years ago.

So yes, dealerships do hire retired individuals for various work.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:09 AM

779 posts, read 518,213 times
A slightly different thing.

Motorhome builders need to get brand new units to dealers . The class A units are way too big to be on a flat bed. The majority of the builders are in Indiana, for some reason. The deal is....you register as a potential delivery driver, and provide your references and DL information. The builder company pays the costs of the delivery, such as fuel, insurance, any state permits, and so on. You drive, at the posted speed limit ( these are brand new engines after all ) and stay in motels ( do not use kitchen, shower or toilet in motor home ) and call in each day ( on their 1-800 line ) on route to advise of your current location.

Upon arrival at the destination, the dealer will want to do a full inspection of the new unit. Once it has been signed off, you call the builder and advise them that you are finished. If you have brought a toad with you, you now get in the small car and drive back, either home or to the builder for another trip.

What does it pay ? By the mile, with a daily amount for meals and motels. A buck a mile is not unusual. The builder considers the cost of delivery as a part of the cost of the sale. The dealer may be paying a part of the delivery cost, too. If you do this full time set up a proper legal business, to take advantage of the tax deductions that are available .

If a person has a commercial driving license, with recent truck driving experience, the specialty vehicle builders are looking for drivers to deliver odd or over size new vehicles. Fire trucks, cranes, garbage trucks, school buses, you name it somebody makes them, someplace. With this type of work, you get paid per mile, and you get a paid flight back to your starting point. How much you work depends on your needs.

XXX.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:49 AM

11,081 posts, read 12,461,714 times
I know one retired guy who drives the courtesy shuttle for a local dealership, he works 3 days a week and enjoys it. Another I know drives the ski shuttle from the airport here to Telluride, makes a fortune in tips. I would recommend you ask around.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:12 AM

9,182 posts, read 9,265,199 times
Quote:
I don't think the OP is looking for part time work in his old field, or even to work into retirement with his own car.

He wants to drive somebody else's brand new car, and who could blame him!
I appreciate all the responses I've gotten. However, you nailed it on the head. Automobiles have always been an important part of my life. I particularly enjoy driving new automobiles of all makes and models. I'm at least ten years from retiring. However, I'd like to know about this work. I'm more interested in just covering my expenses and having something to do part time than making a real job out of it.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:21 AM

3,427 posts, read 1,524,633 times
Our retired neighbor drives cars for Hertz---airport runs. He loves it; works whenever he wants to and takes off whenever he wants. Sounds like a great gig.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:35 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,130,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Do car dealerships offer opportunities for seniors to transport cars around regions or the entire country?

I am far from retired, but it is something that appeals to me. Does anyone here do that or have they done it in the past?

How could a senior with a good driving record take advantage of an opportunity like this?
I don't know where you live but my local VW dealer does this. I live in Virginia and the car I wanted was in Pennsylvania. They told me that they had an older, retired couple that went to get cars for them. That was the first I had ever heard of anything like that.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:02 AM

10,188 posts, read 12,235,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
A slightly different thing.

Motorhome builders need to get brand new units to dealers . The class A units are way too big to be on a flat bed. The majority of the builders are in Indiana, for some reason. The deal is....you register as a potential delivery driver, and provide your references and DL information. The builder company pays the costs of the delivery, such as fuel, insurance, any state permits, and so on. You drive, at the posted speed limit ( these are brand new engines after all ) and stay in motels ( do not use kitchen, shower or toilet in motor home ) and call in each day ( on their 1-800 line ) on route to advise of your current location.

Upon arrival at the destination, the dealer will want to do a full inspection of the new unit. Once it has been signed off, you call the builder and advise them that you are finished. If you have brought a toad with you, you now get in the small car and drive back, either home or to the builder for another trip.

What does it pay ? By the mile, with a daily amount for meals and motels. A buck a mile is not unusual. The builder considers the cost of delivery as a part of the cost of the sale. The dealer may be paying a part of the delivery cost, too. If you do this full time set up a proper legal business, to take advantage of the tax deductions that are available .

If a person has a commercial driving license, with recent truck driving experience, the specialty vehicle builders are looking for drivers to deliver odd or over size new vehicles. Fire trucks, cranes, garbage trucks, school buses, you name it somebody makes them, someplace. With this type of work, you get paid per mile, and you get a paid flight back to your starting point. How much you work depends on your needs.

XXX.

I know a guy doing this with travel trailers.....he tows them with his modified pickup and gets paid per mile. Only "one" bad story so far. A wheel fell off one of the new trailers (it had 6 wheels). He never noticed and delivered it to the dealer (who freaked out). Absence of some parts on the axle clearly indicated it was never installed correctly at the factory. My buddy took plenty of pictures and got paid in full for the delivery.

He removed the passenger seat from his truck and has a mattress fitted on that side so he can sleep in rest stops. He could probably use a sleeping bag in one of the RV's but says he doesn't always have one in tow if he is between jobs.

He has done a lot of work for a nationwide RV dealership chain. There is some type of debit card they use to pay him and you can pay for fuel/hotels with it and then "cash out" whatever is left for your "take home pay." It has a charge per transaction and if you don't do it right then the "charges" can take your money quickly. I think it is like $2.50 per transaction so if you buy a $2 hot dog at a gas station it really costs you $4.50! But if you buy $100 in fuel and include the hot dog on the same transaction then it costs you nothing as fuel isn't charged the transaction fee. I didn't understand the whole process 100% when he explained it to me.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:20 AM

8,185 posts, read 11,902,987 times
Quote:
My neighbor's a service writer at a local dealership. He says the dealer pays retirees to pick up and deliver customer cars locally. Supposedly decent pay and a great source of income.

My cousin worked at a Ferrari dealership in Atlanta. He would fly up/down the coast, pick up the customer's Ferrari, and drive it to Atlanta for service. Then he'd drive it back and fly home.

That would be cool income as a retiree, I would imagine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Our Porsche dealer sends a Flatbed......don't need to put miles on the car.

Yeah, I can't imagine a Ferrari or a Porsche owner being okay with some guy from a dealership putting 100s or even a 1000+ miles on his odometer. Even my local Ferrari/Maserati dealer will pick up your car for service and transport it on a flatbed; and that's only about 50 miles r/t.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:57 AM

2,591 posts, read 1,286,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yeah, I can't imagine a Ferrari or a Porsche owner being okay with some guy from a dealership putting 100s or even a 1000+ miles on his odometer. Even my local Ferrari/Maserati dealer will pick up your car for service and transport it on a flatbed; and that's only about 50 miles r/t.
Granted my cousin did his Ferrari thing during the '80s, but you're absolutely correct - these days the cars would melt if they ever saw rain or more than 12 miles. Back in the day people actually drove their sports cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement