U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 01:59 PM

4,655 posts, read 3,237,575 times

Advertisements

Some things I want to mention here for people to consider.

When I moved in here over 6 years ago, it was listed as low income and subsidized. You could be subsidized if your income was below a certain set number (I don't know what it was) and your subsidized rent could vary.

I did not qualify for subsidy but qualified for the higher of the two rent prices that were offered. Of course they reviewed all my financial information and I was happy to be accepted as the rent where I lived (not low income) was being raised too high for me to pay.

Management has changed many times and something occurred about a year ago that I questioned. I was told by a fairly new "manager" that the complex had never been low income. So I went to their website and sure enough, there was a picture of their sign clearly stating low income. So I got back to the "manager" and pointed that out to her (in an email, should have phoned or faced her). Next day? Website I had seen was completely changed...... no mention of low income. Luckily, I had saved the link that showed low income.

I wrote to our state attorney general including the picture of the low income sign along with my complaints. AG did look into it and got back to me with "they cannot help this situation but told me to feel free to hire a private lawyer."

The builder/owner must have realized their "plan" was backfiring and while they knew AG wasn't stepping in, they at least knew they had to back off, so to speak.

Meanwhile, and I've already taken a lot of flack from posters in another thread regarding this, I've lived with a toilet that does not function the way it should. I've told owner/management about this problem many times, each time being told they would do something about it. So far, nothing has been done. So I have involved the Board of Health who are working on it but to date no new toilet.

Very frustrated. Just something for people to think about when looking for their next home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 03:34 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,534,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
These units in these subsidized bldgs are pretty small but very adequate and so many NEED housing today more than every in our lifetime. We've never had SO MANY living on the streets, if that's living.

Sad situation our country is in.
I went looking online out of curiosity at retirement communities, just to see what they looked like, but especially what they cost. The odd thing was they were shown in glowing detail, and you say wow, nice. Then you go looking for prices, and you start digging. One place, I never found them, just a phone number.

My guess is they really want you interested so the price won't seem so bad when they get around to it. And nothing describes the rules everyone has to follow about what you do to the house. It made me feel very lucky my place is mine and all of that is unneeded. But when things like how much it cost is virtually unmentioned it makes one rather suspicious.

I know small houses are not everyone's taste, but with so many needing a roof to call their own who are vastly outpriced, why not any small home communities where people could be safely in a community and get a chance to put it together over more McMansions? Every time I see a McMansion I wonder if you made it a boarding house, how many people you could house.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I've noticed that things marketed to seniors often have poor websites.
It's as if they think that older people have no web skills and won't notice all the missing information.

I use durable medical supplies, and it's nearly impossible to shop or order online, even if I'm not using my medical insurance. Prices aren't posted, there's no online ordering, search functions are practically useless.
I use something like that too. I found that they were available on amazon. The price is even better. Check there, you'd be surprised what they carry.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:08 PM

29,772 posts, read 34,851,819 times
Retirement facilities range from apartments restricted to CCRC’s. The amenities they provide are very different. Cost means nothing until you know actually what you get. What seems expensive can be less expensive once explained.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
My OH is 59 in a couple of months, and I will be 55 this year.

When my OH hit 55, I began looking at senior housing, vs buying a new house.
They didn't list prices, but wanted either exorbitant price compared to 3 br houses around here, or wanted 30-40%of your income for rent. I found thst out on the phone when I said no way was I going into a high pressure sales meeting not knowing If I could afford it. May be the price they gave me was artificially high, and maybe it was real. I don't know. It seemed to be in line with others I checked into.

I said no way.
Our current mortgage payment on the new 2/1 house we bought instead is around 18% gross or 21% net, why OH why would I volunteer for double the housing cost?I can add 10-20 % to my portfolio then and grow it ( actually we will /are paying off house quickly then ill afd it to our portfolio.)

Then we'd have to PAY for the nursing service if we need it too.

I said no, at least not now.

Well see in the future.
Before I moved from California, we were looking for a place where they took housing for a reasonable price. I found this apartment which was in an okay spot, and near a bus. The apartment was nice too, and it was a nice place. A lot of the people there were disabled. It was nice for a few months, and kept up, but the owners sold the place. They couldn't kick out the renters, so they just sort of stopped doing things, like fixing the washers. The office closed in the afternoon, so if you needed something at two, it was tomorrow.

Most of them moved out. But the new owners forgot karma. They investigated the building, and under it was a small water leak. It had been leaking for some time. It meant massive amount of work to be able to do the upgrades they had in mind. And not all the previous tenants had moved. They figured out they'd have to almost rebuild anyway and quit fixing things in earnest. The pool cleaner didn't clean it. the gate was no longer locked. There were thefts from apartments. There were a few water leakes which had been mearly patched, and when it quit working they did another patch....

A good many people had simply decided they were just going to have to kick them out and wouldn't move. I'd come home and found my dog outside the door, as someone had tried to get in, and it was time to go. I found this house some states away, but cheap, and am very glad we did it that way. This house was dirt cheap, and with a few things fixed, it is happily my home. And NOBODY shares a wall.

I'm just not a person who likes to be around people all the time. I see these 'senior apartments' and people seem to always be in groups, eating and spending the day, and as a definitive loner I and the fur family will be quite happy to stay where I can be what I am. If I'm interested in company, I'll go find something of interest and go out for dinner, then retreat home to my good place.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:33 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,214,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
When I was looking on the Internet for senior housing I found all the government subsidized housing to have prices. Those like HUD as an example. But the private ones, no way. They want to get you in there for their sales pitch.
I don't know how often this happens, but I've discovered several LITC senior housing places that don't have websites. I walked in unannounced at one of these "hidden" places and after a tour and interview with the manager, I walked away with the sense that the manager was cherry picking the residents. I guess I should not have been surprised but since this particular LITC home was run by a reputable nonprofit agency, I was.

It was clear to me how this unique, highly educated LITC population came to reside in this lovely old mansion. On one hand I was a bit perturbed that I was strongly encouraged to immediately submit an application but on the other hand...OMG, I love old beautiful architecture and this place had it! I could picture myself sitting on one of the columned balconies overlooking the gardens while sipping my morning coffee.

Unfortunately, I'm not mentally ready to even apply to live in an age segregated community and I'm less than certain that Lady Cujo would be welcome to join me.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:46 PM

29,772 posts, read 34,851,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I don't know how often this happens, but I've discovered several LITC senior housing places that don't have websites. I walked in unannounced at one of these "hidden" places and after a tour and interview with the manager, I walked away with the sense that the manager was cherry picking the residents. I guess I should not have been surprised but since this particular LITC home was run by a reputable nonprofit agency, I was.

It was clear to me how this unique, highly educated LITC population came to reside in this lovely old mansion. On one hand I was a bit perturbed that I was strongly encouraged to immediately submit an application but on the other hand...OMG, I love old beautiful architecture and this place had it! I could picture myself sitting on one of the columned balconies overlooking the gardens while sipping my morning coffee.

Unfortunately, I'm not mentally ready to even apply to live in an age segregated community and I'm less than certain that Lady Cujo would be welcome to join me.
This is becoming increasingly the norm. There are many ways to cherry pick and there is often a approval process that is just not financial. With the better places having a waiting list being selective is part of their business model.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:06 PM

510 posts, read 303,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post

What's "LITC"?

Old 01-09-2018, 08:53 PM

401 posts, read 203,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Every time I see a McMansion I wonder if you made it a boarding house, how many people you could house.
I think that's a very good option for a lot of people.
Nothing is good for everyone, but that would probably help a lot of people.

And no need for the government or a non-profit to get involved. Just rent a house and start looking out for tenants. Not trivial, but not unworkable, either.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:16 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,751,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
I've been contemplating a move to a town a few hours away from here, and I'm exploring 55+ community housing options. But none of them put prices on their websites!

What's up with these managers who won't tell the browsing public how much the rent is?

Is it a case of "If you have to ask, you can't afford it!"? They don't want to waste their time with people who care about prices?

Is it because they're going to decide how much to charge after they've met me?

I've seen high-rise condos in the city that list every single condo and it's price. There are limited numbers of floor plans, surely it's not too complicated.

Anyone here ever worked in one of these retirement communities that won't list prices on the website? Are they targetting customers who would be confused by a table of prices? "If you have enough smarts to figure out a pricing table, you probably won't want to live here"?

I'm still in a bad mood after searching in vain for prices in each of the housing communities I was looking at. Sure, they all want my name and phone number, to call me at their convenience, and waste my time on a stupid sales pitch, (but still not tell me prices until I've wasted hours, only to find out it's too expensive, and I should have known that before I even gave them my name) and probably sell the data to a dozen marketing firms. Grrrr.....
Yes, to what everyone else has posted.

Never worked for any of them but have looked for many apartments in the past and from experience they want you to come out and visit their units, so once there on site you are a 'captive audience' where they can size you up, get their hooks in you, where they 'decide' which available apartments would 'suit your needs' and you 'may' be impressed with all their fine amenities.

Talk to as many people in your community as you can, maybe join/visit a community senior center which could be informational.

Hang in there and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or