U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 05:28 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,771,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
That might be the best option, but I've visited friends in retirement communities, and I've taken off-campus courses led by UW faculty that are conducted in senior housing buildings with nice libraries and meeting rooms, and I definitely find it attractive. I like the communal dining room, the pool, the activities and social life. But I don't want to live in the city, and I want to be much closer to my grandchildren, so I'm looking for a place an hour or two away, and I don't have any personal leads.

It's not easy. Pretty much all I get from the websites are addresses and generic photos. Maybe I have to go with mass emails? It's really frustrating.
Why can't you call and ask questions? You seem very resistant to calling for some reason. You could also schedule a day and tour several places in one day so you're not driving back and forth several times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 05:34 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,876,173 times
Quote:
That might be the best option, but I've visited friends in retirement communities, and I've taken off-campus courses led by UW faculty that are conducted in senior housing buildings with nice libraries and meeting rooms, and I definitely find it attractive. I like the communal dining room, the pool, the activities and social life. But I don't want to live in the city, and I want to be much closer to my grandchildren, so I'm looking for a place an hour or two away, and I don't have any personal leads.

It's not easy. Pretty much all I get from the websites are addresses and generic photos. Maybe I have to go with mass emails? It's really frustrating.
I have spent a lot of time doing what you want to do and feel I know a lot about the process. I now have a sense of what you are looking for and your frustration. My guess is you have a feel for what you would like but are trying to figure out what you can afford. That at first is a real challenge until you can get a ball park on the real cost. My initial suggestion is that you calculate your current available net income and what your non discretionary income is going for. That is important because much of your fixed expenses will be absorbed in the monthly fee at the new place.

You need to know your available liquid assets and the realistic equity in your homes that would be realized after sale. These are beginning steps before talking with them.

If you want I can share more either here or in PM.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:47 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,553,017 times
Quote:

I already know I wouldn't fit in to these places. I eat when I'm hungry. It might be five, or maybe ten at night if I wasn't hungry yet. I tend to stay up into the night and sleep in in the morning. When I was in the hospital, they kept complaining they'd wake me up for breakfast in the morning, but I'd be asleep again by the time it came. Then I'd tell them I wasn't hungry yet.

I don't like the attitude I see projected in what they say about 'taking care of all your needs'. What if my version of my needs is different than theirs? I just get more stubborn and its NOT going to happen if you keep pushing. So long as I'm not so bad off I can't do anything for myself, I'm not doing what someone else dictates as the only way.

What we've talked about is having a seperate area for me to live near but not IN my son's home. Her mom has the same idea. This wouldn't happen until I felt it was needed. It would be good to feel there was family around as well. But when its time.

My family kept my grandmother with us after she had a stroke. She lived with my aunt, but had a room of her own, and lived there until she passed. She spend exactly two days in a convelensent hospital and called home and was taken home the next day. They did home visits for medical issues, but she lived two more years WITH family.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:01 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,876,173 times
Part of the learning process involved with what the OP is indicating interest in is matching her needs with what they offer. We have visited several. We have affiliated with one, even if we are years away. This enables us to be invited to several of their major functions. Christmas party and Summer Party. Very nice, very elaborate and the residents are very happy and interact well with the staff which are involved with it also. It is the norm to hear in a CCRC that they are well taken care of. Realize the average age is about 80.

In active 55 communities part of the problem is will you use the facilities you are paying for.

Requesting a brochure often brings floor plans with a price list

Old 01-19-2018, 06:31 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,208,493 times
@NYgal1542 What happened here is, I"m sure, is your complex received a grant under The LIHTC program (Low Income Housing Tax Credit program with HUD) which provides funding for the development costs. In return, they have to honor the conditions of the grant.

Rents are on a scale, usually three tiers. A percentage of the units go in each tier. The resident is paying a percentage of their income. Everything is based on your county's Median Area Income. Even in "market rates" tier, the rents are usually cheaper.

There are pages and pages on the internet explaining this.

NOW, when the time frame expires, they are free to do whatever they want. The "good ones" are 20 years. Some have been running that way for several decades even since the 1960's.

OTOH, some are in it for only 5 years and the MOMENT the grant time expires, they change stuff.

Like in one community in my area, the owners dropped the management company and replaced them with a cheaper and IMO, substandard one. Because one of the grant conditions was that they were to retain the same level of management for five years. That very MONTH, they swapped the companies and the place has been sort of a mess in that way, ever since. The management company employees are literally STUPID and make poor choices. The maintenance guys are dudes who's moms LIVE THERE and are incompetent. Even the trash schedule is messed up only due to laziness. The trash room is overflowing regularly.

So anyway, do your due diligence. There are plenty of great ones. Another one near me is awesome and the lowest tier is only $325 per month. But that tier has a ten year waitlist, versus their higher tier of $625. You wouldn't know it's an LIHTC property, it looks as beautiful as any other we have.

POST THE LISTINGS YOU'RE LOOKING AT AND I CAN DIRECT YOU TO SITES THAT WILL ADDRESS YOUR ISSUES and explain why there's this confusion.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-19-2018 at 06:41 AM..

Old 01-19-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I already know I wouldn't fit in to these places. I eat when I'm hungry. It might be five, or maybe ten at night if I wasn't hungry yet. I tend to stay up into the night and sleep in in the morning. When I was in the hospital, they kept complaining they'd wake me up for breakfast in the morning, but I'd be asleep again by the time it came. Then I'd tell them I wasn't hungry yet.

I don't like the attitude I see projected in what they say about 'taking care of all your needs'. What if my version of my needs is different than theirs? I just get more stubborn and its NOT going to happen if you keep pushing. So long as I'm not so bad off I can't do anything for myself, I'm not doing what someone else dictates as the only way.

What we've talked about is having a seperate area for me to live near but not IN my son's home. Her mom has the same idea. This wouldn't happen until I felt it was needed. It would be good to feel there was family around as well. But when its time.

My family kept my grandmother with us after she had a stroke. She lived with my aunt, but had a room of her own, and lived there until she passed. She spend exactly two days in a convelensent hospital and called home and was taken home the next day. They did home visits for medical issues, but she lived two more years WITH family.
OK, you're mixing in a whole bunch of disparate type of housing that has nothing to do with each other.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I don't know how often this happens, but I've discovered several LITC senior housing places that don't have websites. I walked in unannounced at one of these "hidden" places and after a tour and interview with the manager, I walked away with the sense that the manager was cherry picking the residents. I guess I should not have been surprised but since this particular LITC home was run by a reputable nonprofit agency, I was.

It was clear to me how this unique, highly educated LITC population came to reside in this lovely old mansion. On one hand I was a bit perturbed that I was strongly encouraged to immediately submit an application but on the other hand...OMG, I love old beautiful architecture and this place had it! I could picture myself sitting on one of the columned balconies overlooking the gardens while sipping my morning coffee.

Unfortunately, I'm not mentally ready to even apply to live in an age segregated community and I'm less than certain that Lady Cujo would be welcome to join me.
I wish you all would get informed about the topic instead of assuming things.

Cherry picking. What they are DOING is filling slots that are dictated by their LIHTC grant.

Jeeze, as a lawyer, you should know that HUD has policies and procedures that you MUST FULFILL in order to be LEGAL.

Just like there is LAW about age restricted qualified communities.

It's all based on Median Area Income, the three categories of income (LOW, VERY LOW, and EXTREMELY LOW) and they are required to have a percentage of EACH and often a percentage of MARKET RATES, too.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Well, I don't know! I'm using search engines to look for "senior housing" or 'retirement communities".

I'm just clicking on links, trying to find out the amenities and costs.

Right now, I am ignoring any that are subsidized. I know several people in subsidized housing, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM complains about managers that harass them, come into their rooms, steal their stuff when they are out of town, "disabled" tenants who are criminals, and bully the other tenants. [I don't mean that everyone complains of everything, but I listed complaints I've heard].

I don't know a single person in subsidized housing who is in a situation I would want to be in.

But that is way off topic, except to say that I am skipping websites that indicate I'm looking at a subsidized housing situation.

Other than that, I have no idea what I am looking for. That's why I'm on the computer - to narrow my search and research my options.

I don't know whether to skip places that don't list prices. So far, I have. I'm trying to decide if I should revisit that decision.
You're totally unfamiliar with the topic and working against your own interests. So, you're right when saying "I don't know".

See my previous posts on your thread here.

And I call BS on your statement about the people you "know" in subsidized. It's like any other APARTMENT and they are required to operate under STATE LAW. They can't just randomly walk in someone's apartment.

The only difference between them and another un-subsidized complex is the RENT and the conditions that the grant required, which usually makes the place BETTER than the open market complexes.

It is so frustrating when people are flailing instead of getting HELP because they have pre-conceived ideas in their minds based on imagination or other people telling them bull.

Don't want to live HERE? Fine, keep back buttoning off the website.

I was looking for an apartment but they were LIHTC grant and income restricted so I didn't qualify. It took one phone call to get the information.

River Park Place Apartments

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-19-2018 at 07:22 AM..

Old 01-19-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
I'm not sure if you are talking about subsidized housing or a type of non-subsidized 55+ adult continuing community.

For the latter, when we were looking for our parents, we made an appointment for one tour. It was made clear upon arrival they would not be spending time on that unless my parents had the financial means for a $300k buy-in and payments up to $9k a month (at that time).

My brother doesn't play games and slapped their portfolio worth and income info on the desk - then it was all sweetness and light. No financial info at all was on their website. My dad didn't like it anyway so we never filled out the 14 page application.
That's because you didn't know what a CCRC was. Even though you are using the term "continuing community". And not all 55+ is a "continuing community". In fact they're quite rare in the scope of things.

It's Continuing CARE community.

Perhaps your brother should learn how the game works and co-operate instead of thinking he discovered some secret and getting all blustery. OF COURSE you have to have a certain income and net worth to BUY INTO A CCRC.

Did you guys think they're going to take care of your parents throughout their entire lives from Independent to Assisted to Memory Care to Rehab to Skilled including providing In-Home Aides to the Independent People, healthcare services ON SITE, 24/7 emergency services, guarded security gates, health and fitness directors/help, beauty salons, classes, meals, transportation, trips, and never ending activities just because you're ....something...not sure what.

Oh, and free maintenance all the way down to lightbulbs.

And the prices vary. I highly doubt the 300K and 9K per month figure but okay.

Is that too much to ask for a PERMANENT LIFETIME solution to all your housing, meals, free time, transportation, healthcare and personal security needs, CARF accredited? (outside of medical doctors and hospitalization). And you're paying for tomorrows needs in today's dollars. For potentially 35 years.

The one I work at the most as a contractor is NOT that price. Entry level was about 80K when I started there a couple years ago and $2300 per month for a single woman. Very affordable if you have a house right now and get Social Security that is in the mid point range. For a condo type unit. Others are available, like an entire neighborhood of twin single family houses. And a veteran's discount.

Act Retirement Life Securities

And it's GORGEOUS and been around since the 1960's. You can also vacation at any of their other properties on the east coast if you want.

And you can't say they don't provide enough information for someone to get STARTED and have a basic understanding of what they're getting into.

https://www.actsretirement.org/get-s...es/ccrc-types/

They even use the term : "Protecting your nest egg" and disclose the IRS tax credits that are applicable for goodness sakes.

https://www.actsretirement.org/acts-advantage/overview/

https://www.actsretirement.org/acts-...munity-living/

https://www.actsretirement.org/get-s...cial-security/

https://www.actsretirement.org/acts-...ity-with-acts/

They also have a legacy charitable foundation and a safety net for residents who may experience some type of financial situation. They are a non-profit.

You could spend literally hours on their website and still not know everything.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-19-2018 at 08:12 AM..

Old 01-19-2018, 07:06 AM

In all my years on CD, I've never seen a thread as confused, inaccurate and ill-informed as this one - with only a couple exceptions in the replies. And that's saying something.

There are a ZILLION different types of housing and you cannot just make vague generalities and lump them all together.

And it's funny to me that NOBODY (but me) posted a LINK to anything to back up all the generalities.

Are you looking at property WEBSITES or aggregators????

Like this:

https://affordablehousingonline.com/...ida/Vero-Beach

https://www.lowincomehousing.us/FL/vero_beach.html

https://www.after55.com/senior-housi...ami/vero-beach

102 Senior Living Communities in Vero Beach, FL - SeniorHousingNet.com

there are a BUNCH of them.

It's the INTERNET. They like HITS.

Even A Place For Mom gets PAID for ONLY recommending the communities which SPONSOR them, so you won't get any type of legitimate help since they are NOT going to tell you about the ones that may be GREAT but don't pay THEM.

Just for starters.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-19-2018 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or